Blue Note help....

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone up on their Blue Note pressing history?The early 70s Blue Notes, which were the first/original pressings? Blue label or White label?? Stuff like Two Headed Freap, Ethiopian Knights, etc.Thanks for your help.B

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Anyone up on their Blue Note pressing history?

The early 70s Blue Notes, which were the first/original pressings? Blue label or White label?? Stuff like Two Headed Freap, Ethiopian Knights, etc.

Thanks for your help.

B

white and blue is the first press

• first post for the long-time lurker. Hopefully this helps

blue note labelography

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Gday Sheep, heres another guide of sorts, hope it helps.

http://kleene.ss.uci.edu/~rmay/Bluenote.html

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    thanks guys!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    anyone got the run-out groove for the blue + white label Ethiopian Knights?

peace.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

peace.

Here you go: BNST 84380 A/B

I got a tricky one for the experts that I was never able to figure out myself. Ronnie Foster "Two heaeded Freap" released 1972! I got two issues of this......

Info from the site posted above.

2a. This label was used from 1966 to 1970. (Blue+white with BLUE letters on the label)

2b. This label was used from 1970 to about 1973. (Blue and white with BLACK letters on the label.)

According to the site "Two headed freap" is suppose to be on label 2b. but 2a is obviously an earlier label and the record is not even suppose to exist with label 2a, but I got it, so am I misunderstanding something?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

peace.

I got a tricky one for the experts that I was never able to figure out myself. Ronnie Foster "Two heaeded Freap" released 1972! I got two issues of this......

2a. This label was used from 1966 to 1970. (Blue+white with BLUE letters on the label)

2b. This label was used from 1970 to about 1973. (Blue and white with BLACK letters on the label.)

According to the site "Two headed freap" is suppose to be on label 2b. but 2a is obviously an earlier label and the record is not even suppose to exist with label 2a, but I got it, so am I misunderstanding something?

There was a thread on this a while back, and some were asserting that the label variations are not as concrete as what is laid down on that website... that in the 70s former label designs just pop up and get used again briefly? I'm certainly no expert though... I just try to get pre-dark blue labels whenever possible

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I am fairly certain the blue and white labels and the black "liberty labels" were being pressed simultaniously during the early 70's - thus some blue notes of this era would have two different "original pressing" labels.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

peace.

There was a thread on this a while back, and some were asserting that the label variations are not as concrete as what is laid down on that website... that in the 70s former label designs just pop up and get used again briefly? I'm certainly no expert though... I just try to get pre-dark blue labels whenever possible

yeah, that is true. that labelography definitely has it's inaccuracies, which i could even find with my very few blue note records. there is at least one label that is not on the page at all (just another variation of the blue/white label).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I am fairly certain the blue and white labels and the black "liberty labels" were being pressed simultaniously during the early 70's - thus some blue notes of this era would have two different "original pressing" labels.

I think the same theory holds true for the solid blue UA labels being used simultaneously with the blue-and-white...I've seen a blue-and-white UA variation on Donald Byrd's Black Byrd(1973).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I think the same theory holds true for the solid blue UA labels being used simultaneously with the blue-and-white...I've seen a blue-and-white UA variation on Donald Byrd's Black Byrd(1973).

I have a copy of that right now.

Picking an OG blue/white Liberty over a blue/black Liberty is the definition of splitting hairs

It's not that complex though. Microgroove Lex Ave, Microgroove 63rd St, Microgroove NY, Microgroove Liberty, Liberty Stereo (blue/white), black/blue Liberty, blue/white UA, "note" UA.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Picking an OG blue/white Liberty over a blue/black Liberty is the definition of splitting hairs

I'm lost in a sea of label variations here and I'm no longer even sure which colors of what part of the label are be discussed, but I was only stating that I find the classic label design more aesthetically pleasing than the dark blue mid-70s look

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    that is definitely true.

• pickwick33 said:

i just have both versions of the blackbyrd album here, i figured these were both originals but i wanted to doublecheck, found nothing on google but here, thx

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    the dark blue mid-70s look

These are hideous

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

It's not that complex though. Microgroove Lex Ave, Microgroove 63rd St, Microgroove NY, Microgroove Liberty, Liberty Stereo (blue/white), black/blue Liberty, blue/white UA, "note" UA.

There's tons of exceptions out there. I've had several '69-'70 pressings that used left over Lexington labels. Lee Morgan 1541 and Herbie Nichols 1519, for example. Blue Note was notorious for using whatever label stock they had laying around.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    bull_ox said:
    the dark blue mid-70s look

These are hideous

I totally agree. The OG blue & white, ALL DAY!!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Blue Note label usage is a mess. I've had records with a different label design on each side of the record. The sites mentioned above are definitely to be used as rough guides only.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Horseleech said:

There's tons of exceptions out there. I've had several '69-'70 pressings that used left over Lexington labels. Lee Morgan 1541 and Herbie Nichols 1519, for example. Blue Note was notorious for using whatever label stock they had laying around.

and not just labels - never buy a sealed NY cover - chances are there's a liberty inside. I've been stung twice. They were mixing up covers and labels as early as '66. John Patton 'Let 'Em Roll' came out with a libery cover and NY labels

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    tabira said:
    Horseleech said:

and not just labels - never buy a sealed NY cover - chances are there's a liberty inside. I've been stung twice. They were mixing up covers and labels as early as '66. John Patton 'Let 'Em Roll' came out with a libery cover and NY labels

Some unsuspecting dupe just paid over $500 for a UA pressing of the Lee Morgan because of the Lexington labels:

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=180565978394

• Horseleech said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

This is true.

I've learned a few things over the years. Heh.