Elvin from the Cosby Show: YAY or NAY (NRR)

d_wordd_word 666 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Elvin Tibideaux[/b]Yay [/b]His twins are named after Winnie and Nelson MandelaActor Geoffrey Owens is the son of "Rappin' Rep" and all around decent guy Congressman Major OwensNay[/b]Almost, but didn???t, marry Whitney Houston, because she almost played Sondra*Sometimes condescending to the womenfolkSeems kinda *true storyYAY or NAY?![/b]

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    big motherfucking NAY! i've always hated that guy anf his hippy ass tree hugging wife. they were and always will be the worst part of the cosby show. that episode where he's trying to do an imitation of the cos makes me throw up every time.

fuck that guy.

YAY for yummy yummy pudding pops though.
    YAY!!!

other YAYS:
    - cockroach shaving his shit off to be on tv
    - the fat kid cos rodeo knee ride
    - urrthang lisa bonet
    - potato chips on hoagies
    - the alphabet drinking game switcharoo apple juice jump off
    - the "night in tunisia" clair vs. cliff humpoff

fuck that alvin dude...the cos should have never let him in the house.

:get on my cosby show level:

shouts to cosmo bakery, dstill and his homie, sir diz and the mrs., dj bannna, and scarlett johanson and so on. step your soulstrut game up all of you.
    jamesons batches.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I would like to state that cockaroach is the greatest rapper ever

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I would like to state that cockaroach[/b] is the greatest rapper ever

was he on the mexican version of the cosby show? get it together shit bag. step up your step ups. you might have jokes, but i have the knowledge, wisdom and understanding. peace out gawd.

tell stef i said whattup. also step up your chore game around the house and clean up your keyboard and so on. i'm gonna slap box you at the wedding...baleedat!!

get a new tool belt, lotionfingers

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Overall NAY, but when he first appeared as the "Dumb/Clueless" male, that made for alot of laughs. Cosby needed some new male figure since Theo was in college, so Elvin became the new punching bag. But that was the when the show soon jumped the shark. Denise reappears post Angel Heart w/ the military cat to project an image to the public that she doesnt fuck w/ blood all over her body. And Raven Simone, their daughter replaced Rudy as the token smart/cute kid....

Speakin of Cockroach, while I was in high school, he would ride the C train like a regular kid.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    - the "night in tunisia" clair vs. cliff humpoff

dont remember that one, but of all the cliff/claire "humpoff" scenes, i distinctly remember the first season ep where they're on a sofa sloppily eating an apple while lame smooth jazz plays in the background

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Denise reappears post Angel Heart w/ the military cat

yeah, this afro-boho chick marrying some guy from the military...even michael jackson and lisa marie were more convincing than those two

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    And Raven Simone, their daughter replaced Rudy as the token smart/cute kid

this was the worst move ever... olivia is hands down my least favorite character on the show, little rudy is unfadeable

i kind of like elvin, he was always doing some dumb shit, making himself the butt of jokes... but kenny bud is the best dude on the whole show (except cliff)... i wonder why there wasn't a kenny bud spin off... i would still watch that

Denise reappears post Angel Heart w/ the military cat

yeah, this afro-boho chick marrying some guy from the military...even michael jackson and lisa marie were more convincing than those two

LOL

Yeah, that was Cosby tryin to spin doctor the bad publicity after Bonet did a role that compromised the wholesome African-Amerikkkan family image.

I liked the military cat though.

They also tried to dovetale the Theo college yrs, hoping it would spawn a "Different World" type spinoff. I think the project got scrapped.

i wonder why there wasn't a kenny bud spin off... i would still watch that

No doubt. That woulda been 9 year old Archie Bunker/George Jefferson kid hattin' on his peers.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I liked the military cat though.

Posted on Wed, May. 17, 2006

'Cosby' actor disputes who defines 'black'[/b]

By Dwayne Campbell
    Inquirer Staff Writer

Joseph C. Phillips doesn't recall exactly what he was talking about that day in English class, but he remembers well the pronouncement from his classmate LaQueesha.

"He talk like a white boy," she announced, loud enough for their entire eighth-grade class to hear.

Phillips, who went on to gain notice as Lt. Martin Kendall, the straight-talking husband to quirky Denise Huxtable on The Cosby Show, believes LaQueesha questioned his 12-year-old "blackness" that day.

That question of black authenticity would follow Phillips long after he left his Denver junior high school. It returned during his college years at New York University. It hovers over his adult life as a radio commentator, syndicated newspaper columnist ("The Way I See It"), married father of three sons, and an actor who has been asked to "try and sound more black."

LaQueesha's words are the title of Phillips' first book, He Talk Like a White Boy: Reflections on Faith, Family, Politics and Authenticity (Running Press, $22.95) one that has cemented the Strictly Business star as an unwavering conservative, proud black Republican, and an insightful, often-touching essayist on marriage, fatherhood and faith. He'll sign copies today during the Literary Cafe at Zanzibar Blue.

Phillips, 44, didn't set out to write a book. In the late 1990s, he played Justus Ward in General Hospital and had other small roles on stage and screen. He became a regular commentator of the former Tavis Smiley Show on NPR and was gaining attention as a conservative talker just as his Hollywood North star appeared to be leading him to less frequent roles.

"Tavis challenged me to write the book, and I've never been one to let a challenge go," Phillips said in a telephone interview this month from Los Angeles.

In the foreword of He Talk Like a White Boy, Smiley calls Phillips courageous for tackling race and politics and for taking on black leaders. In the book, Phillips explores what it means to be black. He questions people (including his sister Lisa) who he believes want to control what qualifies as true blackness. He questions the need to view people in a prism of race.

"I'm trying to move beyond the notion of the limiting definition of who you are, of who you can be, based on race," Phillips said. "I reject that not only from black people, the 'racial gatekeepers' I call them, who hold the membership cards and issue edicts on what is black."

Some of Phillips' views, especially political ones, are uncommon among many African Americans. He is doubtful about the benefits of diversity, believes that too many African Americans claim victimhood, and that the "race card" is overplayed and dog-eared.[/b]

But he is expressing his views at a time when many African Americans are engaging in a national conversation about how best to ease burdens in the black community - better education, better jobs, less imprisonment - regardless of political affiliation.

Smiley's own book, the best-selling The Covenant With Black America, details ailments in the black community and suggests nonpartisan solutions.

Still, Phillips' praise for President Bush and appreciation of ultra-conservatives such as Ward Connerly, who opposes affirmative action, may not earn him any points in some households.[/b]

But overall, the book is less about politics and more about family, faith, character, and how to best raise kids and educate them. Phillips uses his wife, who works full time, and his sons, ages 8, 6, and 4, to shed light on how he faces some of life's common challenges.

"The book is not about politics, it's about values," Phillips said, adding that some of his more liberal friends have read it and agree with much of it.

These are the essays that might hit the mark for people grappling with upheaval in some African American households, especially those discussing the plight of some young black men.

"I was reading something that says the outlook for us is bleak," Phillips said. "There is a sense among a lot of people that this is true, but what happened to the old-school values that men had to step up and lead their communities?... We need our men to raise our boys. Women raise children, men raise men."

Phillips opens up about his mother's suicide two decades ago. He also speaks of his father with tenderness, realizing after he died that it couldn't have been easy for him to become a doctor after being born "in the heart of Depression-era Brunswick, Ga."

"It is a shame that as social currency, fatherhood has been so drastically devalued," he writes. "A man's honor is cheap. Starlets grace the cover of magazines celebrating the birth of their fatherless children."

"The values of family, faith, freedom I don't believe are conservative or liberal, Republican or Democrat," Phillips said. "These are old-school values that made black America strong and dynamic."

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I would like to state that cockaroach[/b] is the greatest rapper ever

was he on the mexican version of the cosby show? get it together shit bag. step up your step ups. you might have jokes, but i have the knowledge, wisdom and understanding. peace out gawd.

tell stef i said whattup. also step up your chore game around the house and clean up your keyboard and so on. i'm gonna slap box you at the wedding...baleedat!!

get a new tool belt, lotionfingers

you got knowledge like theo had punchlines. Fuck I can't believe the same motherfucker who played peter as a child is trying to front on me. running out of the house everytime like the pussy that you are. It's why you're always trying to hide your face in pictures, too scared to let the world see those rosey cheeks

I'm going to slapbox your candycane face with my keyboard you fucking tulip. Be prepared to explain to your new inlaws why you're so much of a bitch.

olivia is hands down my least favorite character on the show

I'd PAP

The Monopoly money ep iz my shit.

• sergserg 682 Posts

The Monopoly money ep iz my shit.

that episode was fucking great

the one where they flip that real world shit on theo was one of my favorites. he had to apply for a bank loan from rudy and cockroach is his lawyer.

the one where they flip that real world shit on theo was one of my favorites. he had to apply for a bank loan from rudy and cockroach is his lawyer.

I just saw that one last week. Hilarious.

Theo came to the kitchen and Denise said she was Denise but not a Huxtable.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    nay all day to elvin

yay to the baconburgerdog.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    I always like the episodes where Cos would get the family to do a little "show" for his parents. The James Brown "I got the feeling" skit was dope.........I rememeber hearing that track on the show for the first time.
    Cliff - bass (and the JB screams & unghs!)
    Theo - lead vocals
    Rudy - vocals "baby baby baby!"
    The sisters - air trumpet & trombone

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I always like the episodes where Cos would get the family to do a little "show" for his parents.

I seem to recall that they did Ray Charles "(Night Time Is) The Right Time" too, with Rudy doing the "BAYBAAAAAY" part.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Big NAY on Elvin for having that nasty ass rat-tail thing.

Oh and if anyone is interested in reading a book about how the Cosby Show helped support some of white Americas racist views check this book out.