how does one go about finding an artist?

igotthatbeatigotthatbeat 263 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
as of now i'm stumped so I thought I could get some ideas here...I stumbled into an incredible 80's funk/modern soul record by a 15 year old vocalist produced by his father. private press from hollywood California.I did a search online for the baptist church he sung choir at when he was younger...no mention of him.did a search for him online at the jr high school he went to...nothing.also did a search for his father and his brother/cousin? who played bass on the album...nothing. I have seen one other record produced by the kids father...found a couple phone #'s on it...and of course, those are long out of service.The only thing I could find online about the record label was a 45 released by the same artist but from a later year (1985)...the lp is from 83.any suggestions?thanks

Comments

• djcoolhandsdjcoolhands 548 Posts
    talk to lotusland if it from LA.... he seems to be able to track modern things well out there i've heard.

• Options
    You have an address? In Canada you can do a title deed search and find out who owned the property during certain years. If not he/she, than maybe the landlord.

Will yourself into finding tehm.

K in Canada.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    let him find it himself, the man has shit for manners. besides that he isn't interested in music, just $$$$.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    let him find it himself, the man has shit for manners. besides that he isn't interested in music, just $$$$.

AWESOME!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

any suggestions?

Don't be so elusive

Artist / Title / Label ????

Thousands of peoples on this board and they all know something we dont know.

Other wise I would say anything is possible, and its only as hard as you make it. You can find it, if your willing to do whatever it takes.

So again Artist / Title / Label??

Who knows maybe dude is on this board, or lives next door or some ish.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Actually I would agree somewhat with Tom, I don't have any personal gripe with you but THE GAME IS TO BE SOLD... this is a business... and tracking artists is not an easy pot of gold waiting for you... I usually pass off my info to more resourceful colleagues because it's hella time consuming and you have to know what you're doing. Come at an artist wrong not only will YOU not get records but NOBODY will... and people will blame you... I have seen it happen

that said tracking down artists can be very easy or immensely difficult but they are not going to be found ON THE INTERNET... lol... like anything you have to dig.... and you're not going to get the goods e-digging alone... so dig deeper....

my .02

what really bothers me about IGOTTHATBEAT is this: here is a guy who at the buena park record show, BLOCKS record boxes that he has already gone through, just so you can't look at them. i saw this dude almost get his face slapped while he was trying to weasel through a box that SOMEBODY ELSE WAS GOING THROUGH, all this while he was blocking my box & forcing some other kid to wait as well. when i asked him to move, he then says "i don't have to do shit" and stands cold in front of my box.

That said, don't give him any advice, let him go to buena park early and start bitchfights with people to get records. He isn't helping YOU with anything, just taking your information so he can gain money.

gasface

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is the Soulstrut I know and love.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Best thread all month...

• let him find it himself, the man has shit for manners. besides that he isn't interested in music, just $$$$.

2 times you've said that on this board...why?

I know dont really know anyone in person off this site except ap and guzzo.

you sure you got the right person?

cause I dont even know who are.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    what really bothers me about IGOTTHATBEAT is this: here is a guy who at the buena park record show, BLOCKS record boxes that he has already gone through, just so you can't look at them. i saw this dude almost get his face slapped while he was trying to weasel through a box that SOMEBODY ELSE WAS GOING THROUGH, all this while he was blocking my box & forcing some other kid to wait as well. when i asked him to move, he then says "i don't have to do shit" and stands cold in front of my box.

That said, don't give him any advice, let him go to buena park early and start bitchfights with people to get records. He isn't helping YOU with anything, just taking your information so he can gain money.

gasface

• Options
    I'm afraid I don't have as much restraint as you Tom, adn would be placing prophetically-named IGOTBEAT into the box with the records for said bitch moves.

K.

• Actually I would agree somewhat with Tom, I don't have any personal gripe with you but THE GAME IS TO BE SOLD... this is a business... and tracking artists is not an easy pot of gold waiting for you... I usually pass off my info to more resourceful colleagues because it's hella time consuming and you have to know what you're doing. Come at an artist wrong not only will YOU not get records but NOBODY will... and people will blame you... I have seen it happen

that said tracking down artists can be very easy or immensely difficult but they are not going to be found ON THE INTERNET... lol... like anything you have to dig.... and you're not going to get the goods e-digging alone... so dig deeper....

my .02

nothing personal here either...

reason for starting this thread was to get better ideas of how to find an artist.

does that automatically mean I'm trying to make money off them?

JP, I don't really know you well..but I know you own a business, I wouldnt assume you were trying to make money off artist if you you were trying to find them.

Wasnt really hoping for a pot gold...maybe some more music that never made it.

just started my search though, I'm sure people in his area remember him or can help with contacting, definately gonna dig deeper...thanks for the advice man.

• what really bothers me about IGOTTHATBEAT is this: here is a guy who at the buena park record show, BLOCKS record boxes that he has already gone through, just so you can't look at them. i saw this dude almost get his face slapped while he was trying to weasel through a box that SOMEBODY ELSE WAS GOING THROUGH, all this while he was blocking my box & forcing some other kid to wait as well. when i asked him to move, he then says "i don't have to do shit" and stands cold in front of my box.

gasface

hmmm...

guzzo had asked me to look through the box I was in when I was done..I said sure. Someone on the left tried rushing into that box when I said wait up...when he started complaining about how he couldnt get to shit fast enough I told him "that aint got nothing to do with me".

thing is, I didnt even know that was someone on soulstrut till guzzo said something to me 2 weeks later...why didnt you introduce yourself?

care to say who I was "almost" slapped by? you sure have a lot to say online...

as far as taking info from people to gain money...be easy with all that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Record Karma is a very real thing.........guaranteed.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts

you sure you got the right person?

cause I dont even know who are.

The walls have eyes.

The information is worthless anyway if nobody knows what it is . There arent too many people here that are using information on SS simply as a paperweight for the mind thats why is is easy to assume your lookin to come up.

I may be putting the cart before the horse, but if he was fishing for interest and trying to get information and / or value wouldn't people need to know about it first ?

I understand obtaining assumed back stock before blasting it for monetary purposes, but if your question was simply How do you get in touch with Artists? I think you could have just left it at that and not eluded to a supposed incredible something know one else knows about but you. Maybe it was how your post came off.

I don't really care what your motives are and a sincere good luck to you in finding him. But I have no fear of asking honest questions and getting honest answers. especially here. I cant really hang with it when people want to introduce me to an imaginary friend I can neither see nor hear. I just happened to be wonder woman and I have an amazing jet!

If it isn't about money and leftovers then why not just say what it is? Its obviously not about sharing a wonderful something with other record nerds. I understand not saying anything to some degree,
    (again money, ebay, box of back stock, producer related) but if you SINCERELY wanted to know about his guy it would help to start with the facts.

I'd think that someone somewhere has heard it or seen it and can vouch for its coolness or some shit. Whatever's necessary to get the ball rolling. Anyways, Nothing is Undiscovered just Unknown. I guess im just confused if you really wanted to know about the guy and the record or some round about way of learning about trade secrets and techniques. I think you could have been more descriptive about the record thats all. Sorry for all the flo-lasso-fyin. nothing personal just makes me wonder about all the go abouts.

hmmm...

guzzo had asked me to look through the box I was in when I was done..I said sure. Someone on the left tried rushing into that box when I said wait up...when he started complaining about how he couldnt get to shit fast enough I told him "that aint got nothing to do with me".

thing is, I didnt even know that was someone on soulstrut till guzzo said something to me 2 weeks later...why didnt you introduce yourself?

yep that was you. second time you did that to me BTW. while you were blocking my box you were weaseling through the end of the box that some guy was already looking at (he was a 40 yr old black guy wearing OR scrubs) he said something like "what you doing?" and was looking hella pissed and you stopped. remember? that was seconds before i asked you to move out of my way, you then tried to act like it wasn't your responsibility to move and sat in front of the box. not trying to make a scene over some $3 12's & tired with that particular show, i left.

true, i don't really care to talk to your face. i more than deserve to talk smack after being cockblocked by you now at two different shows.

you put to much importance on record shows, thus making them less fun for those who aren't as serious as you.

-

• as far as taking info from people to gain money...be easy with all that.

The information is worthless anyway if nobody knows what it is . There arent too many people here that are using information on SS simply as a paperweight for the mind thats why is is easy to assume your lookin to come up.

I may be putting the cart before the horse, but if he was fishing for interest and trying to get information and / or value wouldn't people need to know about it first ?

I understand obtaining assumed back stock before blasting it for monetary purposes, but if your question was simply How do you get in touch with Artists? I think you could have just left it at that and not eluded to a supposed incredible something know one else knows about but you. Maybe it was how your post came off.

I don't really care what your motives are and a sincere good luck to you in finding him. But I have no fear of asking honest questions and getting honest answers. especially here. I cant really hang with it when people want to introduce me to an imaginary friend I can neither see nor hear. I just happened to be wonder woman and I have an amazing jet!

If it isn't about money and leftovers then why not just say what it is? Its obviously not about sharing a wonderful something with other record nerds. I understand not saying anything to some degree,
    (again money, ebay, box of back stock, producer related) but if you SINCERELY wanted to know about his guy it would help to start with the facts.

I'd think that someone somewhere has heard it or seen it and can vouch for its coolness or some shit. Whatever's necessary to get the ball rolling. Anyways, Nothing is Undiscovered just Unknown. I guess im just confused if you really wanted to know about the guy and the record or some round about way of learning about trade secrets and techniques. I think you could have been more descriptive about the record thats all. Sorry for all the flo-lasso-fyin. nothing personal just makes me wonder about all the go abouts.

for someone that "really" doesnt care about my motives...you sure had a lot to type.

Is there something about my original post that was so unclear? where do you see me doing anything else but asking for suggestions on how to find an artist?

This has nothing to do with a record that "I have and nobody else does"...I never even said anything remotely close to that.

look...no offense either..I just didnt expect to turn myself into the firing squad by asking for a little help on a website.

• hmmm...

yep that was you. second time you did that to me BTW. while you were blocking my box you were weaseling through the end of the box that some guy was already looking at (he was a 40 yr old black guy wearing OR scrubs) he said something like "what you doing?" and was looking hella pissed and you stopped. remember? that was seconds before i asked you to move out of my way, you then tried to act like it wasn't your responsibility to move and sat in front of the box. not trying to make a scene over some $3 12's & tired with that particular show, i left.

true, i don't really care to talk to your face. i more than deserve to talk smack after being cockblocked by you now at two different shows.

you put to much importance on record shows, thus making them less fun for those who aren't as serious as you.

-

weaseling the end of somebodies box?

nah man, you got it twisted.

that old dude was a NUT and was heckling people the entire show. after he tried knifing his way through guzzo I told him to get his ass on. I wasnt even near the box he was in, ask guzzo for the truth on that shit

anyone that knows me knows that I don't take a lot to heart, record shows especially.

shit happends when a table opens up, especially tashas table. I've been blocked from boxes plenty of times, as I said before I wasnt purposely blocking you. Guzzo asked to see the box I was in after I was done and I was waiting to switch spots with him.

but yo, lets squash this shit. No need for beefing and burned bridges.

if you're at the show this weekend introduce yourself. smoke is on me.

I guess im just confused if you really wanted to know about the guy and the record or some round about way of learning about trade secrets and techniques.

I see what your sayin. If you really want to know about the guy and the record then all the information you know would help other folks to help you. If you want to know trade secrets, then it would have been more clear without all the details in the begining. I've never waited longer than 5 minutes for any answers to my questions here and most always leave satisfied, so you could possibly have all the info you need right here, that was my point from the git.

I think it was just the way it was asked in the first place. Personally, I just want to know what the record is and I think a lot of people here might be able to help you.

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    i could see this coming from a mile away. in the record game tact and is required and bad form is a drag. ed has an intense amount of enthusiun for jheri and shit happens. prince facemask is a fucking cock.

lets all try to be a little more transparent. i have been buying records in LA for 25 years. i have watched people go on a collision course over bullshit records many times. i try to just hit my spots and stay out of the way of certain people. then again i will buy a connie francis record as fast as i will buy a roy ayres so my beef is minimalized at those shows.

the majority of modern soul is bullshit and just because something sold for $40 one time it doesnt mean shit.

a lot of people are moving to LA lately trying to be record dealers. i dont feel threatened so dont worry about it.

everybody needs to calm down about wilberts records at buena park.

some guy i have known for 15 years now hates me because last month i bought a collection he wanted and paid twice as much for it. fuck it. its not my fault, its competition and i won.

tracking is an art and you need to be an ex cop with a reverse telephone book. i outsource my tracking to the best and still cant find the people who recorded the private records i own.

people dont want to teach you how to track on a message board.

rockadelics avatar is a picture of the tip of a penis with VD. it is totally gross makes the must disgusting things i have evar said on soulstrut sound tame.

i am setting up at buena again so you folls better buy my records. lets have fun too.

listen to alzo and chill out.

ap

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

lets all try to be a little more transparent.

tracking is an art and you need to be an ex cop with a reverse telephone book. i outsource my tracking to the best and still cant find the people who recorded the private records i own.

people dont want to teach you how to track on a message board.

T R U T H [/b]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

rockadelics avatar is a picture of the tip of a penis with VD. it is totally gross makes the must disgusting things i have evar said on soulstrut sound tame.

ap

Co-sign.......I lost a bet and this was the price I had to pay.....please have Raj BAN me for a month so I don't have to see my Avatar.......btw...it's not my penis, mine is much smaller.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

ap

Co-sign.......I lost a bet and this was the price I had to pay.....please have Raj BAN me for a month so I don't have to see my Avatar.......btw...it's not my penis, mine is much smaller.

It seems that photobucket banned your avatar pic:

Peace