Options

Weekend Finds

edited May 2006 in Strut Central
HAd to skip out on the record show today for a collection call...Ill beat cut, wtih even more devastating version.Dope roots over soundandpressure rhythm.Latin? African? This record is very hard to define except to sat that it's in all facets. Sounds like Mulatu.Another facemelting JA instrumental. One fo the toughest rhythms ever recorded.Bunny Lee/King Tubby productions. Can' find a bad song on here.Nice 83-ish lovers tune.Elusive Lp with ill Wayne Mcghie soul/reggae jam. got another without a cover if anyone is down. I must have put the sleeve in safe keeping somewhere, but it wa signed by Jackie mittoo, Wayne McGhie, And Dennis Brown.Had to leave a couple boxes at my Gradnmother's to truck home at a later date - think most of the jazz is there. About 70 Blue Notes, many of them mono pressings.The 45 we were discussing in another thread.Tasteful boogie LP. sweet vox.More boogie.Ja soul? great cut whatever it is. Beaty.Not the most flattering last name. Killer indy disco 45.Really like this 12.It's all about the gloves.K in canada.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Holy shit K, you always own these threads. Anyways, I got a couple things this week.

The Surfaris & Hendrix were two sorely needed upgrades, so I am happy. Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers is real good UK soul, I'd never seen it before but they do respectable versions of some classics. The Otis Redding is a clean NZ OG (hard as hell to find clean). Hollywood Brats are like the New York Dolls but they are English, this is a NZ only (I think) press from 1980 of early 70s material. The other stuff is pretty standard but all good.

Another couple of local pressed Picketts to cross off. Gettin' my Ike & Tina game up on 45. Run DMC is a WLP with You Be Illin on both sides instead of Hit It Run on the flip.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Usha Sings is an Indian Folk LP with Donovan, Leonard Cohen and Fred Neil covers, Barbara Y Dick is from Argentina with Dylan, Mama's & Papas and Garage covers

Bottom right is a local Austin Gospel LP bt Arnett Cobb...it's sealed....does anyone know this one and is it any good??

Lower right is a weird Michel Legrand "Live At Shelley's Manne-Hole promo on Verve??

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have that Michel LeGrand LP, not the promo though. That's weird how it's all white. Is the design embossed on the cover? Good LP, pretty solid Jazz piano from start to finish. But in saying that, I haven't listened to it for a few years.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I have that Michel LeGrand LP, not the promo though. That's weird how it's all white. Is the design embossed on the cover? Good LP, pretty solid Jazz piano from start to finish. But in saying that, I haven't listened to it for a few years.

It's embossed silver foil.....just looks white in my crappy photo

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Elusive Lp with ill Wayne Mcghie soul/reggae jam. got another without a cover if anyone is down. I must have put the sleeve in safe keeping somewhere, but it wa signed by Jackie mittoo, Wayne McGhie, And Dennis Brown.

I've been after this since I heard the ranglin "surfing" track last year @ a friends house. Killa Season! PM Time.

• Options
    You should hear the dub side of the 45, Raf. Boooooooooooooooooom tune.

K.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yeah, that Ranglin surfin track is so killer...

Just 2 this weekend-

Charlie Jones - "songs of love, life and re-ality" - I'm really liking this, not bad for 1983.

The Ambassadors I really love you / I can't believe you love me 45 on Arctic

• djcoolhandsdjcoolhands 548 Posts
    [quote
    Bottom right is a local Austin Gospel LP bt Arnett Cobb...it's sealed....does anyone know this one and is it any good??

sorry R, not good at all. there's a copy at Cheapo's unsealed and i passed after listening.

austin gospel

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    took the time to explore my new neighborhood today. all thrift and garage sale finds:

thrift shop #1:

thrift shop #2:

i've got another copy of the indoor life on celluloid, but i'm assuming this is an original pressing released on their own. anyone else have this pressing?

garage sale find of the day:

• Options

K.

Specail Delivery Jones

K in Canada.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

K.

okay i'm the first time faded in like 2 years, and this is sounding GOOD.

• slotbeggazzslotbeggazz 288 Posts
    digi cam still broken

fleamarkets bein slow this weekend, not much...:

Santa Esmeralda starring Leroy Gomez - dont let me be misunderstood (nice pimpalicious cover)

Cerrone 3

Leroy Gomez - Gypsy Woman

Record Shack presents Volume 1 (2LP Breaks)

Roberto Delgado & his Orchestra - "Caramba" Hot Rhythm from South America...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    garage sale find of the day:

Nice!

And nice buys online, too, last few days

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

That Washington dude has a badass 45 of his own. Can't remember what it is, I was drunk when I heard it.

• Options
    Only other thing I've seen with his name is a terrible late 70's LP by him.

Caught some more goodness while trolling in the cold/rain.

No matter how hard I look, I caan see no tattoo's.

Smokin' Scientist/Coxsone set with a couple essential dubs from Horace ANdy's Bunny Lee work...and a nice persussion enhanced dub of the saem rhythm used for the Tamlin's "Baltimore".

K in Canada.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That Washington dude has a badass 45 of his own. Can't remember what it is, I was drunk when I heard it.

Only other thing I've seen with his name is a terrible late 70's LP by him.

Sure you aren't thinking of Ge[/b]no Washington, K?

Gino Washington is the Detroit legend who has a handful
    of highly sought-after releases on his own ATAC label.

Most common title by him is the early track "Gino Is a Coward/Puppet
    on a String" which is on a couple of labels.

Pretty sure he never released a proper LP on his own, but Norton Records
    put out 2 anthology LP/CD's on him just a few years ago.

One release of his you may be familiar with is the 70's 45
    "Rat Race" on his ATAC label. He used the backing track of his
    own 60's track "Like My Baby" (itself a ripoff of a Temptations song)
    and put a new "socially concious" vocal over it. The reason I think you
    may know it is Kopp's had stock on it for years, that's where I got my copy.

Geno Washington is the American emigre who recorded in the UK with a
    band of Brits, releasing a few soulful pop/rock LP's in the mid-late 60's
    that don't get very good reviews from those familiar with them. I know I have
    seen a late 70's LP from him as well.

• Options
    Yeah, got them mixed up. Think I've had a couple Gino washington's on Golden World????

K.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Here's a couple off ebay for relatively cheap:

especially loving the joe gibbs, JA press. glad i got that leroy hutson as well, cuz my burned CD was getting a lot of play in the car. the eddie palmieri would probably sound better with a better system, considering there's a whole lot of sounds going on.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I guess it's not technically the weekend anymore, but I got these over the weekend.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    I have another one from this guy and its great. I was hoping for a similar vibe and I was very pleased.
    here's a clip of "Baby Don??t cry go call Police"
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=28E9E5562F1F615F
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    and finally finished my stooges lp trifecta with this one which I've only seen once before as original butterfly label.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    yuichi - do you know if that leroy hutson is original? i have one with a yellow border around the cover. am i rocking the budget rerelease or what?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    It's a holiday in Canada today so I guess this counts as weekend find.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    yuichi - do you know if that leroy hutson is original? i have one with a yellow border around the cover. am i rocking the budget rerelease or what?

No border = 1973

Border = 1977

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    montreal diggery....times have changed but there was a decent selection at a few stores and some decent prices but i held back mostly. the clerks for the most part (french) were fucking assholes.

1. a minty maggot brain for 20 bucks which was cool
    2. bu pleasant-ms bu
    3. eddie henderson- realization
    4. al gaffa-leblon beach (this has to be one of the best pablo records i have heard)

• montreal diggery....the clerks for the most part (french) were fucking assholes.

There's plenty of annoying, asshole, anglo record clerks in Montreal. In fact, the meekest record shop clerk I know of in Montreal is Francophone. Get off the main circuit.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    It's a holiday in Canada today so I guess this counts as weekend find.

when be the DVD of this? that VHS is proving annoyingly 'OOP' and elusive..

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

and finally finished my stooges lp trifecta with this one which I've only seen once before as original butterfly label[/b].

(not mine)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

and finally finished my stooges lp trifecta with this one which I've only seen once before as original butterfly label[/b].

(not mine)

trippy - I thought for sure they'd stopped using the gold label in 68 or 69. I've had red label copies of funhouse though - which would still be earlier than the butterfly label.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    Garage sale dig.$10.00

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Garage sale dig.$10.00

That Bohannon is seriously underrated. Always gets dismissed by the Stop and Go brigade. At least two bangers on there.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    trippy - I thought for sure they'd stopped using the gold label in 68 or 69. I've had red label copies of funhouse though - which would still be earlier than the butterfly label.

From a distance at least, the label in that pic looks like an import (and the listing was German)

Morrison Hotel probably came out around the same time and thats a red label