I Just DJ'd the Set of My Life...

124»

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Your mix is fucking good man..its a shame it was wasted

I've also been approched by promoters looking for that 'different sound'

I was playing some african disco and this guy comes up and was like 'what's that song...you have to work for me hee is my card' It was some of my early gigs and I was straight up excited ..fortunatly my friend explained the whole ordeal and after checking the guy's resume I agreed to not partner with him

Its a bitch to prepare a killer mix think things through and not have peeps feel the vibe.

What I 've found to be most succesful is to do funk themed nights in a 'private party' type setting (rent a loft or something) then invite a lot of your 'friends' thwey will bring like-minded individuals and you should have a great party

however I am lucky to have found a guy willing to cut me a good arrangement and also Montreal is a great city for open mindedness about music (more than SJ apparently0

good luck and like I always do in life: use the slaps in the face as a source of energy to keep on achieving your goals

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Went to a Team show in SJ last week that was suprisingly crackin. Lots of ladies in the spot which is unusual for local rap.

I used to think people cared about what I liked when I dj'd and clearly they don't. When u realize that it makes it a lot easier. Me and Dee Rock used to dj a night in which we attempted to play funk and soul like 10 years ago. That shit lasted two weeks and then it turned into any other rap night and was crackin. I've never been to a successful soul funk night outside of NY and SF. Even those that were considered "successfull" were pretty wack to me.

not even serato just playing songs off a computer and sitting in a chair! I'm so serious. They had him before and love him. He will play "My Humps" etc. and they all including the club owner will love it and think he is GREAT. That's just what it is. You must remember that 95% of the general public doesn't know what's "really good". They are just programmed robots. It's upsetting for sure but what do u do?

http://www.coremusic.com/

Level I Product Only Service - Our entry level program designed for Top 40 club operators and d.j.'s looking to simplify their monthly music purchases. Provides up to 20 new music releases each month based upon your music format. We offer a vinyl/CD or all CD service. All product arrives pre labeled with artist, title, BPM, intro, music style, date of release and suggested time of play. You'll also receive the exclusive "Hotsheet" entertainment newsletter with each music shipment. Click here to receive Proposal Information

Price: $195.00 U.S. dollars per month (ask about our d.j. professional
    discount!)

Level II Music Management System - Our next level of service is designed for those club operators wanting help in "managing" their music on a monthly basis to increase beverage revenue. Provides all the benefits of Level I plus a two-day on-site visit to get you musically organized, a monthly analysis of your nightly entertainment presentation and quarterly music library manual.
    Click here to receive Proposal Information

Price: $250.00 U.S. dollars per month

Two Day Music Formatting Workshop - This program is designed to provide a customized music format and two days & nights of training with your d.j. and management staff. A proven program for those wanting a "road map" to musical success. Click here to receive Proposal Information

Price: $1995.00 plus expenses

Five Day Grand Opening Workshop - If you're opening a new nightclub, then this program is a must. Provides an initial day of d.j. auditions in your market, three days & nights of training and a one-day follow up to ensure your entertainment success. Click here to receive Proposal Information

Price: $3500.00 plus expenses

Opening Music Libraries - CMS is the largest supplier of opening music libraries to clubs throughout the world. Just let us know your format and we'll provide a customized proposal based upon your needs. All CD libraries as well as our standard vinyl/CD library are available.

Staff Human Dynamics Training Workshop - This exclusive workshop is designed to help motivate your bartenders, waitresses, front door staff and d.j.'s to increase morale and beverage revenue. We'll also teach five "staff dynamics" to popular hi-energy songs to motivate your crowd and create a point of difference. Click here to receive Proposal Information

DJ Placement Services - Having difficulty locating the right d.j.? Let CMS find the best possible d.j. to meet your entertainment needs.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I suppose its echoing whats already been stated at this point but do NOT try to deejay old records at a 'dance' club on a Fri or Sat night!

I have a lot of fun doing low-key gigs in bars where nobody's expecting to dance (and in fact probably would not want to hear the top 10 either) but nobody's mad if you start dancing...