The real "Spirit of 94"

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Caught the new Juelz video "Mic Check" on MTV last night. Directed by Juelz, and featuring him in a pretty charismatic performance, it made me think of 1994 'cos he's a schoolteacher teaching a bunch of kids how to check the mic (didn't Leaders of the New School do that?). Plus Rakim is wandering around. Pretty good song, and a surprisingly fun video. Especially considering he's usually rapping about cooking coke, shooting folks, kamikazi, nazi, nazi or getting dome from a girl prone to vomit when ingesting semen.Also '94 related, it also convinced me that Santana probably weighs 94 lbs. I bought the 12" today on Diplomat records. Is it a bootleg?DISCUSS

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Caught the new Juelz video "Mic Check" on MTV last night. Directed by Juelz, and featuring him in a pretty charismatic performance, it made me think of 1994 'cos he's a schoolteacher teaching a bunch of kids how to check the mic (didn't Leaders of the New School do that?). Plus Rakim is wandering around. Pretty good song, and a surprisingly fun video. Especially considering he's usually rapping about cooking coke, shooting folks, kamikazi, nazi, nazi or getting dome from a girl prone to vomit when ingesting semen.

Also '94 related, it also convinced me that Santana probably weighs 94 lbs.

I bought the 12" today on Diplomat records. Is it a bootleg?

DISCUSS

On the strength of that still alone, I concur with your assessment of this video as "fun"...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Especially considering he's usually rapping about cooking coke, shooting folks, kamikazi, nazi, nazi or getting dome from a girl prone to vomit when ingesting semen.

That's a good summary of the topic's he rap's about,you left out his "mama dedications".I see the symbolic gesture of rakim passing the torch to him,with all the teacher/student depictions in the video,i'm not buying it though.
    Does this new rap audience even know or care who Rakim is?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    diplomats always come correct with videos

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    That new Camron video is the worst piece of Brian J Peppers dung I've ever seen/heard.

Their shit is hit or miss. I'm backing the Mic Check video though.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "Mic Check" b-side is a "You Don't Know Me" remix w/ T.I. called "You Ain't My Homie." It's real mean and angry.. kinda takes the TI original a few steps farther. It features another line custom-made for the SoulStrutters:

"This ain't Digable Planets/

We ain't cool like that"

The other thing that made me think of '94 (well, really more like '90-'91) in that "Mic Check" video was how Juelz headgear made him look like he'd be in some group like Prof. Griff & Last Asiatic Disciples or X-Clan or something. Y'know, that 5 Percenter hiphop urban fashion sense that went out of style when Boss started hosting MTV spring break specials.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Does this new rap audience even know or care who Rakim is?

No, which is why he's appearing in a Juelz Santana video.