Artist Merchandise (Q. for industry doodes) [NRR]

edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Many bands make a large percent of their income touring, and from the sales of merchandise on those tours. I've heard everyone gets a cut, band, manager, venue... Anyone have any experience with what the actual designer/artist of said shirt (for example) would get out of the deal?A friend is doing a T-shirt for a major label band. Rather than a one-time fee in exchange for usage rights for perpetuity, what are the odds of him getting a percentage of sales? Maybe some designers here have been in a similar situation.Any insight/experience/info appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i have pretty minimal merch experience...ran / inventoried at a few shows and festivals, but it seems like the percentage thing may be a tough one to round out in the end. You figure this band is on tour, they are gone for maybe a month or two (or more), they have their merch money, their gig money, their gas money...seems like filing away t-shirt money for the guy who made it might be strenuous, even if they have a dedicated merch person.

I don't know though, if they are a big label band or whatever then i'm sure what money is what and what money is made is handled a bit more meticulously so maybe.

If i was dealing with a big label i would want money right off the bat. Wouldn't want to hear, "Well, we take the band's overall tour income and take out for studio time, the video shoot, supplies, oxygen tax for the tour bus, and our cut. We give you your percentage based on their take-home from the tour..."

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Many bands make a large percent of their income touring, and from the sales of merchandise on those tours. I've heard everyone gets a cut, band, manager, venue... Anyone have any experience with what the actual designer/artist of said shirt (for example) would get out of the deal?

A friend is doing a T-shirt for a major label band. Rather than a one-time fee in exchange for usage rights for perpetuity, what are the odds of him getting a percentage of sales? Maybe some designers here have been in a similar situation.

Any insight/experience/info appreciated, thanks.

Not a designer, I'm on the other side of the table. It's very unusual for a designer to get a cut on merchandise if they were commissioned. That's what a commission is - they pay you for your time and talent but they own the final product. I think probably the only times I've cut a rights deal was when we've wanted to use existing designs and had to licence the artwork from the owners (again not necessartily the artist).

Take the fee, boot some Ts and make a little on the side. It's the music business.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My brother works for a company that does tees for lots of major label groups

When one of the staff provides a design the band will just cut them a check

I don't think you can make points off merch like that

• Many bands make a large percent of their income touring, and from the sales of merchandise on those tours. I've heard everyone gets a cut, band, manager, venue... Anyone have any experience with what the actual designer/artist of said shirt (for example) would get out of the deal?

A friend is doing a T-shirt for a major label band. Rather than a one-time fee in exchange for usage rights for perpetuity, what are the odds of him getting a percentage of sales? Maybe some designers here have been in a similar situation.

Any insight/experience/info appreciated, thanks.

What band? and you must post the finished shirt design or you are soft!

• I don't know though, if they are a big label band or whatever then i'm sure what money is what and what money is made is handled a bit more meticulously so maybe.

Major label band, so accounting ishould[/i] be handled carefully.

Take the fee, boot some Ts and make a little on the side. It's the music business.

Now you're thinking! Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen.

What band? and you must post the finished shirt design or you are soft!

I am most definitely:

As it's my friends situation, and not really any of my business; just hoping to get some opinions for him.

But thanks everyone for the input.