digital camerastrut

sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
who has one they really like?... i think i'm finally going to buy one, but i'm completely ignorant about what's good... what features/specs/brands should i be looking for?... price isn't really my biggest concern, but i don't need any crazy professional rig either... i just want to take good pictures of my kid, gigs, etc., and i would like it to be small... please school me strut

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    who has one they really like?... i think i'm finally going to buy one, but i'm completely ignorant about what's good... what features/specs/brands should i be looking for?... price isn't really my biggest concern, but i don't need any crazy professional rig either... i just want to take good pictures of my kid, gigs, etc., and i would like it to be small... please school me strut

Olympus Stylus 720 SW. Shock and Waterproof up to 15 feet.

Epic camera. You can drop in on cement and it works. Shoots underwater, great sequences, tons of options. $450.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I'm pleased with the 710.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have a Digital Rebel and love it to death. It's a great investment if you have kids.

I still need to get a decent point and shoot and will probably stick with Canon because they are the bomb diggy.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    canon eos 10D

too dope ... and yes RAJ its great when you've got kids

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I recommend the Canon Digital Elph Powershot SD450. I like the Canon because it is really small and easy to carry in my pocket. It is easy to use. Which is nice for people like me that just want to point and shoot. Plus, the screen on the SD450 is HUGE.

$249 here -> http://tinyurl.com/9bfom

canon eos 10D

too dope ... and yes RAJ its great when you've got kids

You must, and I repeat you must buy the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lense. The stock one that comes with them are plastic pieces of doo-doo. I have taken some phenominal portraits of my daughter with that lense.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    my wife wants a digital rebel, too, but i want something i can put in my pocket... we have a film rebel, and it's great... she will probably be getting the digital for christmas or something - this one is for me, and i just want something i can keep on me all the time

that olympus 720 looks fucking sweet, the beach pictures would be great... i'm also in the midst of drunk people 4 nights a week, so the durability would be nice... is $400 on the high end of point and shoots?

y'all beat me to my response... these are a lot cheaper than i thought they would be!... that canon elph joint looks pretty good, i like being able to just keep it in the pocket, i'm not with lugging around a seperate bag for it or whatever

thanks!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Just got a Canon SD630 for cheap off Dell after a lot of comparing.
    Very good overall camera...great macro.
    IMG SRC=http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6610/gall19rl.jpg>
    IMG SRC=http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3971/gall29jz.jpg>
    IMG SRC=http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5848/gall30oo.jpg>
    IMG SRC=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7606/macro3yb.jpg>

Just got a Canon SD630 for cheap off Dell after a lot of comparing.
    Very good overall camera...great macro.

Dang. What store is this?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Dang. What store is this?

IMG SRC=http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7379/img00237ru.jpg>
    Crappy name, but the stock's getting crazy. Official opening soon.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

nice

where? that wall is

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

My homie uses this one (FinePix E900) - he really likes it for shooting at night.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i bought a Casio Exilim, a year back, and i'm generally satisfied with it. Although the next one, I'll most likely buy Canon, cuz picture quality seems better.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

I have this one which I bought in January. I've been happy with it even though I want a Digital SLR. Some pics:

• per0per0 152 Posts
    I haev a Casio Exilim

6 Mega pixel. Smallest camera I could find at the time. Love it.

• I have a Digital Rebel and love it to death. It's a great investment if you have kids.

I still need to get a decent point and shoot and will probably stick with Canon because they are the bomb diggy.

8.0 mega pixel? I am wanting to get something sort of in between a professional style quality digital and a grandma at Thanksgiving dinner style digital. This looks like it might be a good choice...and it seems like $500 for it isnt bad either.

I have a Digital Rebel and love it to death. It's a great investment if you have kids.

8.0 mega pixel? I am wanting to get something sort of in between a professional style quality digital and a grandma at Thanksgiving dinner style digital. This looks like it might be a good choice...and it seems like $500 for it isnt bad either.

Mine is the 6 megapix not the XT. I bought it right when it came out at a grand

I would not bother spending that type of scrill unless (a) you are interested in photography or (b) like me - want priceless photos of your kids.

If I could go back and change anything, I would just buy the body and buy the 50mm lense seperatly and a nice macro. The kit lense that comes with it is a plastic piece of doo-doo.

• lots of nice photos..your daughter is beautiful.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sonofsam,

I couldn't see if anyone mentioned this yet but to me, the single most important thing when it came to picking a camera was: will I be able to get the shot I want? That meant a fast lens (i.e. a powerful enough aperture to shoot in less than ideal light) that didn't require me to use a shitty flash just to take a picture indoors. There are supposed to be new Sony cameras with technology that allows for low-light shooting but I haven't tried them out.

I have a Nikon D70. NOT small. NOT portable. Takes amazing photos. You wouldn't need to ball for the D70 - the D50 would be equally good for your needs. Also, let me just state this: You. Do. Not. Need. 8. Megapixels. Unless, of course, you're shooting for billboards. The megapixel shit is like the six-blade razor hype. At a certain point, you're not getting anything more for your buck.

Here's a collection of D70 shots, taken indoors. No flash.

• awesome!

Also, let me just state this: You. Do. Not. Need. 8. Megapixels. Unless, of course, you're shooting for billboards.

Ha... so true. It's like a dick measuring contest sometimes... My homies with point and shoots seeing my Digital SLR and are like... "That's coo... HOW MANY MEGAPIXELZZZ!!!!???" I tell them that it is 6 and they are like shiiit mine has 6.5!!! Meaningless unless I want my shit on the side of a building in NYC....

But yeh.. Oliver. Low light flexibility is a must. the 50mm lense that I have is so nice under low light conditions too. I hate flash.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    http://www.dpreview.com/

This site was invalubale when picking up the Nikon i used for work, and also the cheapy digi's we used for traveling. You can check out samples of all the cameras mentioned here.

Personally, I use film.

- spidey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Personally, I use film.

- spidey

Damn, you old school. I suppose you spin "vinyl" too.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I have the Panasonic Lumix FZ-5. Small, but not pants-pocket small (jacket-pocket small).

What I like about it is it has a great Leica lens (12X optical zoom), is a very nice Point-and-Shoot, but also allows me (if I so choose) to mess with the f-stop, shutter speed, etc. Also has a very nice and intuitive menu, and turns on and off really fast (which is something people often over-look).

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Damn, you old school. I suppose you spin "vinyl" too.

I'm too busy drawing cave paintings.

- spidey

thanks everybody, a lot of good info in here... after talking it over with my wife this morning it looks like i'll be buying two cameras! ... she is pretty insistent on getting something bigger like the rebel (i think it makes her feel like a "real" photorapher), and i really want something small... i agree that it's nice to have a bigger, more professional joint around the house for the family and holidays and that kind of thing, but i'm not trying to take that shit to gigs and on trips and stuff... so my new mixer is officialy on hold, and two cameras it is!... it's really not so bad because i thought cameras were a lot more expensive than they are... thanks again