Any way to stop spam on websites?

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Waxidermy is getting hella attacked by crazy spam via the comments section. Sometimes 20-30 times a day. Anyone know a way to stop this kinda thang?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Waxidermy is getting hella attacked by crazy spam via the comments section. Sometimes 20-30 times a day. Anyone know a way to stop this kinda thang?

Have you googled your issue? Or checked the WordPress site for a fix?

I was having crazy issues with my contact form, but found some code to combat the issue.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I've got various spam blockers and such in place on my website, but I still get waves of comment spam. Every couple days, I have to go in and delete about 50 or so spam comments. Supposedly there are comment spam-blocking programs you can buy, but I haven't really looked into it that much.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I've got various spam blockers and such in place on my website, but I still get waves of comment spam. Every couple days, I have to go in and delete about 50 or so spam comments. Supposedly there are comment spam-blocking programs you can buy, but I haven't really looked into it that much.

yeah, same thing - I think we have a spam filter cause it used to catch all this stuff. But the spammers have actually gotten smarter - they now leave spam that looks like comments - but they all say something generic and have a link to some online Viagara website hooked up to their username. It's pretty clever actually. I was baning ip's, but it's looking lik eI could be doing this till I'm blue in the face to no avail.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    There's programs you can incorporate that require a user to enter a code taken from an image. I'v never used one but they're out there.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There's programs you can incorporate that require a user to enter a code taken from an image. I'v never used one but they're out there.

ahhh... I've always wondered about having to do that on some sites.