Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" Original Sample?

124»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    LOL... all he did was search at amazon, dude.

might wanna consider that next time.

Dude, I cleared the damn sample. The reason the credit is wrong is because Danger Mouse sampled it from the library joint, and when I went to Italy to get the Reverberi brothers' approval, they said, oh, we never wrote a song called "Last Man Standing" - this is from an old soundtrack. By the time their people told me what it was actually called, the production deadline for the artwork had passed and it was too late to change it. Luckily, they didn't mind.

Am I reading this correctly?

Dangermouse samples from comps???

Hahahaha! There's a story behind this (and it's quite an interesting one), but I'm going to save it for the next "Gnarls Barkley/Dangermouse Sucks" thread.

If you're gonna wait for all that, you might as well spill here...

Nah, I really shouldn't - it'd be very unprofessional of me. Besides, it could jeopardise any future business I might be called upon to do with someone who, in spite of all the critical opprobrium heaped upon him by the Strut massive, is by all accounts a pretty cool guy. Anyway, I like "Crazy" and I like the Gnarls album and, truth be told, I'm quite pleased to have played even a very minor role in a record that made a little bit of pop music history. Not up there with the work of some of the Big Dudes on here, granted, but still...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Ronzoni

Luther burgers.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Nice.

"ha ha ha.. bless your soooooooouul"

i love aliases

• Ronzoni

Luther burgers.

we just shot soetihng about these.

makes triple cheeseburgers look like health shakes

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    doc... im curious, where do you work?

just wondering since i work at a music copyright clearinghouse.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    What's with the hostility? I just wanted a little info, if you can't help me, just say so.

"STAY GOLD PONY BOY"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    doc... im curious, where do you work?

just wondering since i work at a music copyright clearinghouse.

I work for one of the majors. Think "Axis Powers".

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    heya, since we're taking it there, are the drums for "Crazy" from this Peggy Scott & Jojo benson 45 or am I going... er, mad?

Isn't it just a chop of "Shack Up"?

Neither.

Garnett Mimms - Stop & Check Yourself

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    LOL... all he did was search at amazon, dude.

might wanna consider that next time.

Wrong.

He was only able to do that because he knew the actual name of the song. On the insert of the Gnarls CD it is stated that the track sampled was Reverberi - "Last Men Standing" which is the track from the library record that was sampled. Try searching Reverberi - "Last Men Standing" on Amazon and see what you get there boss.
    Ah, but if one searches for "Gianfranco Reverberi" on amazon.com under "popular music" it goes directly to the album containing the song in question. And from there one would only have to listen to five of the sound clips to make the desired discovery.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Who is this "danger mouse?"

A dude that has managed to interest audiences that do not like rap in sample-based music through the use of a giant mouse costume.

IMG SRC=http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/2870/nate3fa.gif>

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    i just heard this on the alternative rock station out here. this song is terrible. who thought this track was good?

About 95% percent of SoulStrut...

thats about the same percentage of lames on here as well...

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    heya, since we're taking it there, are the drums for "Crazy" from this Peggy Scott & Jojo benson 45 or am I going... er, mad?

Isn't it just a chop of "Shack Up"?

Neither.

Garnett Mimms - Stop & Check Yourself

i was waiting for somebody to chime in with that one

"rappers are in danger"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't know if it was posted already or not,
    but here's a cool slowed-down live version
    of "Crazy" from Top of the Pops:

• that was pretty impressive

for some reason it made me misty for Portishead

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

that was pretty impressive

haha it reminded me of Portishead, too!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

that was pretty impressive

haha it reminded me of Portishead, too!

same here. Something about that snare and the spooky "ohhh's" and strings......

• speaking of which
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=OqUtM-HV9Gg&search=portishead

can we get an "About damn time" graemlin?

• oh and if someone has the footage of Tom Jones doing "Motherless Child" with Portishead please please please post it up.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    anyone ever see these? I guess it's from a british TV show where these guys visit famous musicians and check out their record collections for "suspect vinyl." The one with Stereolab's Tim and Laetitia is hillarious when they all dance to the Shaggs.

stereolab:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=iAMvVcIlAco&search=adam%20joe%20busted

Ray Manzarek
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=3AsgIQPxlVo&search=adam%20joe%20busted

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    anyone ever see these? I guess it's from a british TV show where these guys visit famous musicians and check out their record collections for "suspect vinyl." The one with Stereolab's Tim and Laetitia is hillarious when they all dance to the Shaggs.

stereolab:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=iAMvVcIlAco&search=adam%20joe%20busted

Ray Manzarek
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=3AsgIQPxlVo&search=adam%20joe%20busted

Ha ha I'd totally forgotten about that part of the Adam & Joe show, one of the underrated gems of the 90's late night television. Set the standard for storytelling through toys as well.

I much much much prefer that slowed down live version of Crazy, gives the song a more bondtheme quality, like Homogenic era Bjork.