Good non-raer rock/psych/garage 45s

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"Lazy Day" the entire 1st album is the Left Banke heat!!

• I don't care for walk away renee
    I know man
    I have really tried to get into it and I just can't. My friend is a big fan and keeps telling me about the harmonies and all that.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i went to my local store and found 3 of the 45s mentioned here. the don fardon is seriously right up my alley, i'm feeling it big time.

the new colony six on mercury i'll have to give another listen, i passed on it today, but it wasn't bad. the left banke was not quite the sound i'm looking for, although of the two sides it was the b-side that i was feeling a little more than the renee side. but i'm gonna have to listen to that one again too.

• Yesterday's Obsession - The Phycle / Complicated Mind
    The Werps - Shades of Blue / Loves a Fire

Both killers at reasonable prices.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

i went to my local store and found 3 of the 45s mentioned here. the don fardon is seriously right up my alley, i'm feeling it big time.

the new colony six on mercury i'll have to give another listen, i passed on it today, but it wasn't bad. the left banke was not quite the sound i'm looking for, although of the two sides it was the b-side that i was feeling a little more than the renee side. but i'm gonna have to listen to that one again too.

Another Don Fardon favorite is "I'm Alive" - more of a uptempo mod dancer - and not released on a 45 in the USA, but there is an Decca LP it can be found on. But it might just be easier to buy the Euro 45 of it.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts

I don't care for walk away renee, but haven't got the nerve is awesome. Harpsicord killah!

There's a track on one of the Chuck Jackson Motown albums that features pretty much the same harpsicord line as "I Haven't Got the Nerve". I always meant to figure out which came first (probably the Left Banke?) but never did. Oh yeah, The Four Tops also do "Walk Away Renee". Kinda forgot about this actually, need to check my records again.

Of course, this doesn't address the thread at all, but....

A few more cheapies off the top of my head:

Jamie Lyons - Soul Struttin' (Laurie)
    Crazy Elephant - Dark Part of My Mind (Bell)
    H.M. Subjects ??? Don't Put Me Down (Blue Saint)
    at least in the southeast?
    The Magic Lanterns ??? Biding My Time (Atlantic)
    Gene Pitney ??? She???s A Heartbreaker (Musicor)
    Professor Morrison's Lollipop - You Got the Love (White Whale)
    The Buckinghams - Susan (Columbia)
    The Equals - Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys
    some of their others are pretty easy to find too, like "Softly Softly"
    Glass Prism - Poe Through the Glass Prism (RCA)
    This is an LP which at least used to be easy to find

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I don't care for walk away renee, but haven't got the nerve is awesome. Harpsicord killah!

There's a track on one of the Chuck Jackson Motown albums that features pretty much the same harpsicord line as "I Haven't Got the Nerve". I always meant to figure out which came first (probably the Left Banke?)

I think it would have been the Left Banke record that came first, since Chuck J. would have still been recording for Wand at that time.

Hey, "Agent 45!" Nice bumping into you again in Memphis! See you at Mod Chicago?[/b]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A few more cheapies off the top of my head:

Jamie Lyons - Soul Struttin' (Laurie)
    Crazy Elephant - Dark Part of My Mind (Bell)

I see Kasenetz-Katz productions like the above quite a bit, selling for peanuts...certain titles like "Simon Says" by the 1910 Fruitgum Co. you see around all the time, but even the rarer ones can be had for next to nothing.

The Magic Lanterns ??? Biding My Time (Atlantic)

And don't forget their hit, "Shame Shame."

The Equals - Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys
    some of their others are pretty easy to find too, like "Softly Softly"

...especially "Baby Come Back" on RCA.

Hey, "Agent 45!" Nice bumping into you again in Memphis! See you at Mod Chicago?[/b]

Likewise! Memphis was a blast. I won't be at ModChicago afterall....but J.C. and I have been talking about me getting up there sometime during the summer.

here's a few others i have and like. i know the mc5 is at least semi-raer (and the non-edited version is straight raer, which i don't have), and i'm guessing the knaves is too.

MC5 - "kick out the jams"/"motor city is burning" (elektra)
    the knaves - "leave me alone"/"the girl i threw away" (dunwich)
    the amboy dukes - "journey to the center of the mind"/"mississippi murder" (mainstream)
    the byrds - "eight miles high"/"why" (columbia)
    the animals - "house of the rising sum" (mgm) and numerous others, a favorite of mine being "i'm crying"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    here's a few others i have and like. i know the mc5 is at least semi-raer (and the non-edited version is straight raer, which i don't have), and i'm guessing the knaves is too.

Dude, there CAN'T be a dirty 45 of "Kick out the Jams" can there??! Why would they have made that?

I heard "Journey to the Center..." for the first time in years recently, it was a lot better than I remembered.

Dude, there CAN'T be a dirty 45 of "Kick out the Jams" can there??! Why would they have made that?

I heard "Journey to the Center..." for the first time in years recently, it was a lot better than I remembered.

yup, there are copies of dirty "kick out the jams" floating around out there. i saw one on ebay once. don't remember how much it went for though.

edit: it is possible that the unedited version is only on an unedited lp, i do not know for sure. i thought i saw an unedited 45 on ebay before though...