Research Help (NRR)

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Ok folls,I have a bet with my girlfriend (so you know the stakes are high) about the name of the coin operated binoculars that you find on boardwalks and at historic sites.I say the name is: Dial-A-View. This may be the company that made them or simply the name of the apparatus. She contests. I have already emailed a coin operated products company (this is a bet i am not trying to lose), but they didn't offer them and he could not confirm the terminology.Wikipedia was no help and i am 4 pages deep in google with nothing.I am basically basing my whole theory ont he Grandaddy song, "Miner at the Dial A View"Anyhow, if anyone is bored at work and wants something to do, or for some reason has this information readily available it would make my day.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Very interesting topic (?). If you pay atention to Grandaddy's lyrics, you must "dial longitude and lattitude" of the place you wish to observe in the "dial-a-view". I think in the kind of apparatus that you describe, you just insert a coin and take a look moving around the thing. Not the same principle.

I'm going to write an essay now.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hey i warned that it was NRR and in some way, maybe, it sort of is.

i haven't listened in a while, but i remember the sound of him dropping a quarter into the thing. Plus (in my mind) the album cover to ...Slump is his view through the Dial A View.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Could be, but the thing in the song involves "dialing", as if it is some sort of phone/computer service, and you are even welcome by a female operator. All these elements are absent in the touristic kind of apparatus.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

dunno.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Yeah as it turns out Dial A View looks to be some sort of phone searching thing. Oh well, i guess i'll just have to lie.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Yeah as it turns out Dial A View looks to be some sort of phone searching thing. Oh well, i guess i'll just have to lie.

sounds like a healthy relationship

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Haha. If i told you what was at stake you'd be on my side...all in all i'm just kidding, but damn if i didn't think i knew what a Dial-A-View was!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Haha. If i told you what was at stake you'd be on my side...

Now I think you have to tell.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    It's a healhty relationship...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    It's a healhty relationship...

...with an unhealthy secret.

Tune in to SoulStrut to find out what it is.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Haha. [trying to improve my roadtrip]i can say no more about it.[/trying to improve my roadtrip]

• Haha. [trying to improve my roadtrip]i can say no more about it.[/trying to improve my roadtrip]
    head in the whip

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    head in the burb