All I Need Is One Mic (Recording Question)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations on a mic to purchase for use with recording software. I'd prefer it to be on the relatively inexpensive side, but would still like it to be of decent quality. I'll be running it through an M-Audio break-out box that is powered. Any suggestions would be of great help.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I used to have a Rode NT-1:

Ended up selling it for lack of use, but now I'm ready to do something with it and am kicking myself for letting it go.

I just need some basic clues as to where I should begin my search for a reasonably priced replacement...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    the nt1 is a good mic for the money.

whats your budget look like? do you have preamp with phantom power? if not, you will either have to get one or stick with a dynamic mic.

for the $500 and under range, the audio technica 4050 is a real solid condenser mic. pretty versatile.

if thats too much, look into the rode family again. they have some decent mics that won't break the bank.

• If you're looking for something decent for a lower price, you should check out Studio Projects. One of my professors claims to have done the pepsi challenge with a Studio Projects condenser mic and the Neumann U87 and couldn't really hear a difference. Not exactly sure which model they tested, but I know it was one of the C class mics (either multi-pattern or cardioid). 300-400 dollars for something that is comparable to a $2k microphone sounds good to me.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    If you're looking for something decent for a lower price, you should check out Studio Projects. One of my professors claims to have done the pepsi challenge with a Studio Projects condenser mic and the Neumann U87 and couldn't really hear a difference. Not exactly sure which model they tested, but I know it was one of the C class mics (either multi-pattern or cardioid). 300-400 dollars for something that is comparable to a $2k microphone sounds good to me.

Yeah, I have the Studio Projects C1-- I've been pretty happy with it. I don't really know about the pre-amp on the M-Audio breakout box, but I'm guessing a high-end mic would definitely prefer a dedicated, quality pre-amp by its side.

the nt1 is a good mic for the money.

whats your budget look like? do you have preamp with phantom power?

Um, what can I get for like $100, or less? Yes, I have a pre-amp with phantom power.

if thats too much, look into the rode family again. they have some decent mics that won't break the bank.

Thanks, I will look at what Rode has to offer.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Um, what can I get for like $100, or less? Yes, I have a pre-amp with phantom power.

If you want to be even remotely serious with what you are trying to accomplish, $100 is far too small a budget.. I don't know of any mics that would cost that new that would be able to give you a decent sound. Maybe you can score an amazing deal from somebody on a used mic, but even then $100 is low. The Studio Projects C-1 is quite a good mic and is only about $300, cheaper if you go online to ebay or look around for audio classified boards/craigs list, etc.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

if under 100 is firmly your budget, i'd suggest the SM-57... not amazing by any standards, but it will get the job done... (for some reason, i really prefer the 57 to the 58... it sounds "clearer" to me...)

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i'll co-sign on everything said so far. i too have heard of the studio projects c3 multipattern condenser comparison with the u87, although now i'm starting to think that's a rumor because i heard it from somebody claiming their school professor said the same thing out in cali. so i dunno. what I DO know is that I bought a brand new C3 for $250 off ebay and I been happy with it ever since. it has cardiod, figure 8, and omni patterns that you can switch between. the sound is very clean and what you run your shit through will determine any additional sound characteristics (preamp, compressor, mixer, soundcard, software, etc).. If you want to do anything decent that will be used for anything more than recreational purposes, don't waste your $100 on a condensor that costs that much. that's a waste of time and money. ebay is your ticket. you can occasionally find brand new in box shit there that people are sleeping on for good prices. good luck.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

If had to choose only one that isn't too expensive:

RE 20 good for vox, kicks, horns, etc..

• [Um, what can I get for like $100, or less? Yes, I have a pre-amp with phantom power.

The Shure Sm80 (?). its like $80 and its the classic instrument mic. its a workhorse you can really use that for anything. I've used it for vocals and it sounds fine.

You all have been of great help. Now I have a solid foundation of to work from.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    best mics under $100

shure sm58
    shure sm57
    MXL V67 gold edition
    Octava Mk219 (just makes sure you get a legit russian one)

all of the above are KILLER mics that will still hold their own after you get more expensive ones down the road

id get any of those (actually i already have them) and then a nice cheap pre like a focusrite trakmaster platinum, an ART mpa pro, the EHX 12AV

that's roughly $300 for a mic and a decent pre.. much better than a $300 mic thru a crap break pout box.