Bush Dips To New Lows In Polls

2»

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I would enthusiastically hang with Clinton, though.

I met George Bush during the 1999 primary campaign in SC. He was very personable and I got a good vibe from him. Then someone next to me started asking him some serious policy questions and he kind of glazed over like he didn't understand the language and was whisked away by his handlers. Then the handlers had both of us removed by security even though I had nothing to do with the other person. From then on, I knew something really really creepy was going on.

I met Clinton right after I took the above picture. He had just given a speech at a DNC party after the 2004 election. (Terry's going away) He talked about how things weren't that bad and made everybody feel hopeful--not nostalgic. He's a great speaker and everything was off the cuff--no notes. When he shook my hand, he asked me what I thought of his speech. I started rambling and he stood there and listened. We started a little dialog and all the time I really felt like he was engaged with our conversation. I was shocked because I was just standing along the "handshake line" then I noticed he was taking the time to talk to everyone. Not just chit chat either, real policy wonk talk. Dude is strong with the force. Never seen anything like it.

That same night I met Kerry, Dean and the Als Franken and Sharpton. They were all total assholes.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Dude is strong with the force. Never seen anything like it.

man I'm not sure we're ever gonna have one like him again. he had his faults no doubt, but dude knew his shit and at the same time didn't come across as a pompous ass. unique combo. plus he's like a martyr in my eyes for what the hypocritical Republicans did to him. that i will never forgive.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

man I'm not sure we're ever gonna have one like him again. he had his faults no doubt, but dude knew his shit and at the same time didn't come across as a pompous ass. unique combo. plus he's like a martyr in my eyes for what the hypocritical Republicans did to him. that i will never forgive.

I conditionally cosign this. When Clinton was in office, I didn't really think much of him either way. He seemed like an average prez--did some good shit, some lame shit, basically not very noteworthy to me either way. But I guess I took it for granted that we'd have a president as knowledgeable and competent as him, and I've been learning every day since 2000 not to take that for granted. Now that we've been under the bumbling Bush regime for several years, it makes my nostalgia for Clinton that much stronger. I would love to see that kind of competence--not to mention desire to be right and work with political opponents to find good solutions as opposed to locking out everybody who disagrees. Also, the whole Lewinsky thing was such a collasal waste of time and money by, yup, grossly hypocritical Republicans, it was rather appalling.

Plus, everybody I know who has met hm has basically said, like Fatback, that the force is strong with him. He's incredibly smart, but not in a "Ha ha, I'm smarter than you!" way, he's very personable, and he's very curious and engaging. Definitely a wonk, and that's exactly who I want as president.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I heard Clinton give a commencement speech at a friends graduation, about '97 I guess. He talked about; immigration. A current hot topic. It was a great speech.

• Dude is strong with the force. Never seen anything like it.

Right, this is the same guy who refused to lift a finger to save a mentally retarded black man from state execution during the 1992 election so he could appear tough on crime. The same guy who shortly afterward hijacked a Rainbow Coalition conference to attack Sister Souljah. Same guy who destroyed the welfare system. Same guy who refused to let the UN designate Rwanda an ongoing genocide, because if they did the USA would be obligated under international law to intercede -something he was afraid to do because he'd just had a big fuck-up in Somalia and he was worried about poll numbers. Same guy who backed the war in Iraq -his position is that we didn't send enough troops. Same guy who applied a ruthless sanctions regime in Iraq that killed half a million children. Same guy who bombed a pharmaceutical factory in the Sudan to distract attention from his personal woes. Same guy who signed Nafta, fired Jocelyn Elders, abandoned Lani Guinier... Same guy that David Brower, president of the Sierra Club, said had done more damage to the environment than Reagan and the first Bush combined.

Read more. Succumb to personal charisma less.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Great second post! Welcome to the board!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

man I'm not sure we're ever gonna have one like him again. he had his faults no doubt[/b], but dude knew his shit and at the same time didn't come across as a pompous ass. unique combo. plus he's like a martyr in my eyes for what the hypocritical Republicans did to him. that i will never forgive.

Right, this is the same guy who refused to lift a finger to save a mentally retarded black man from state execution during the 1992 election so he could appear tough on crime. The same guy who shortly afterward hijacked a Rainbow Coalition conference to attack Sister Souljah. Same guy who destroyed the welfare system. Same guy who refused to let the UN designate Rwanda an ongoing genocide, because if they did the USA would be obligated under international law to intercede -something he was afraid to do because he'd just had a big fuck-up in Somalia and he was worried about poll numbers. Same guy who backed the war in Iraq -his position is that we didn't send enough troops. Same guy who applied a ruthless sanctions regime in Iraq that killed half a million children. Same guy who bombed a pharmaceutical factory in the Sudan to distract attention from his personal woes. Same guy who signed Nafta, fired Jocelyn Elders, abandoned Lani Guinier... Same guy that David Brower, president of the Sierra Club, said had done more damage to the environment than Reagan and the first Bush combined.

All true. The sad thing is compared to Bush he looks good, which is what we have been saying.

There is a myth that the left gave Clinton a pass and attacks Bush only out of hate. Remember the riots in Seattle? Remember the fights against NAFTA, genetically modified food, the out rage over bombings in Sudan, Iraq and Afganastan?

Still smells like a rose next to Bush.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

man I'm not sure we're ever gonna have one like him again. he had his faults no doubt[/b], but dude knew his shit and at the same time didn't come across as a pompous ass. unique combo. plus he's like a martyr in my eyes for what the hypocritical Republicans did to him. that i will never forgive.

All true. The sad thing is compared to Bush he looks good, which is what we have been saying.

There is a myth that the left gave Clinton a pass and attacks Bush only out of hate. Remember the riots in Seattle? Remember the fights against NAFTA, genetically modified food, the out rage over bombings in Sudan, Iraq and Afganastan?

Still smells like a rose next to Bush.

The more we live under Bush and see what he's about, the better Clinton looks in comparison.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

"When you take your case to Washington, D.C., you're taking it to the criminal who's responsible; it's like running from the wolf to the fox[/b]. They're all in cahoots together. They all work political chicanery and make you look like a chump before the eyes of the world. Here you are walking around in America, getting ready to be drafted and sent abroad, like a tin soldier, and when you get over there, people ask you what are you fighting for, and you have to stick your tongue in your cheek. No, take Uncle Sam to court, take him before the world."

This all said, people simply like Clinton better. Policies aside.

"When you take your case to Washington, D.C., you're taking it to the criminal who's responsible; it's like running from the wolf to the fox[/b]. They're all in cahoots together. They all work political chicanery and make you look like a chump before the eyes of the world. Here you are walking around in America, getting ready to be drafted and sent abroad, like a tin soldier, and when you get over there, people ask you what are you fighting for, and you have to stick your tongue in your cheek. No, take Uncle Sam to court, take him before the world."

This all said, people simply like Clinton better. Policies aside.

well, except that his policies were a lot better.

That too. But I wouldn't lionize him either. Then again, I don't think I'd lionize any President. Except for Fillmore. He was Dude.

That too. But I wouldn't lionize him either. Then again, I don't think I'd lionize any President. Except for Fillmore. He was Dude.

Fugitive Slave Act?

I don't think your man Malcom would've approved.

Fugitive Slave Act?

Did I say Fillmore? I meant, of course, Buchanan.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Fugitive Slave Act?

Did I say Fillmore? I meant, of course, Buchanan.

I always figured you as more of a Rutherford B. Hayes or Chester A. Arthur kind of guy....