Straker & Gibbs

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Of the Merrymen on Merry Disc. I was trying to find out if they are related to the record labels, but looks like no. Can anyoneK confirm?I did find out that Emile Straker is related to some UK RAF brass and Chris Gibbs swam the English Channel.... funnily enough I was just talking to someone whose girlfriend is training for it. Who the hell was that?

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Smells like a KL question.... Kevin in the building?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

He needs to get Soulstrut installed on his bike.

PS: K, does your digging gear include lycra? Last Sunday I witnessed the world's biggest display of unneccessary lycra when 15,000 cyclists passed my house maxing out at around 12mph! Americans and their athletic equipment Capris would have sufficed.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Kev is probably out before the rain comes.

PS- I'm listening to THIS right now.

I need friday to come sooner!!!

• Options

He needs to get Soulstrut installed on his bike.

PS: K, does your digging gear include lycra? Last Sunday I witnessed the world's biggest display of unneccessary lycra when 15,000 cyclists passed my house maxing out at around 12mph! Americans and their athletic equipment Capris would have sufficed.

I did see someone with biking shorts, drees shoes, and a suitcoat the other day...but it wasn't me looking in a mirror.

You mean Gibbs as in Joe Gibbs (no Riggins)?

If so, they are not related as far as I know. Joe is Jamaican, Emile is Bajan (living in NY, no?).

K.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    I believe that Emile Straker from the Merrymen is actually related to Straker's in Brooklyn. I actually thought that he owned Straker's, since some of the labels say produced by E. Straker. Kevin?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I believe that Emile Straker from the Merrymen is actually related to Straker's in Brooklyn. I actually thought that he owned Straker's, since some of the labels say produced by E. Straker. Kevin?

haha!

never again will we doubt this man's soca/calypso knowledge

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Emile Straker was in the Merrymen.

Granville Straker owns Straker's.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Emile Straker was in the Merrymen.

Granville Straker owns Straker's.

But are they related? Seems like some musicians recorded in both Barbados and Trini. And for that matter, what's the connection between Merrymen and Merry Disc? If they started their own label in the 60s (they recorded earlier on another label) then starting labels may have been a Straker family thing. I can't imagine there being two different Straker families in the Calypso record biz.

• Options
    Records made by Trinidadians were often pressed in Barbados, as was the case ofr other surrounding countries.

K.