TRADES ON SOULSTRUT (trust related)

noreillenoreille 270 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Salut les strutters!I'm thinking about trading some great LPs with you. The time has not come yet, I'm waiting until I finish purchasing the greatest collection I ever met... I 'd like you to tell me about the basic way trades are made. I need advices in order to feel more familiar to a way of purchasing records I still didn't experience. Also don't hesitate to use this thread to talk about anectodes, good or bad. A list of persons to absolutely avoid will be welcomed. I need to feel a bit more comfortable with this idea of trading LPs with persons I don't know... and might have to trust.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm sure many feel the same way with the prospects of dealing with you (France related). I wouldn't worry about anyone who is an active member. And if the deal does go sour, putting them on blast on the board seems to work well.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Do you have a Clyde Alexander & Sanction? If so, watch out!

Most of the time you should have little to worry about. People with low post counts usually have someone to vouch for them and people with high post counts couldn't face being ostracized by their daycare dropin center/methadone clinic aka soulstrut.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    I'm sure many feel the same way with the prospects of dealing with you (France related)

I don't care about the location, just about the persons. Is there any recurent problem with french people (I have no intention to create any racist polemic in this thread)?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I'm sure many feel the same way with the prospects of dealing with you (France related)

I don't care about the location, just about the persons. Is there any recurent problem with french people (I have no intention to create any racist polemic in this thread)?

i have had generally problematic trading/seeling/buying experience with france, italy, japan. i'm sure the language barrier is a factor as is geographic distance. but there seems to be some flighty, quirky heads perpetuating some negative stereotypes out there.

i dont want to generalize, but on my website, japanese customers have been a blessing and a curse. huge orders, looooong waiting periods for payment, canceling items that hve been on hold forever, and constant pestering to send them lists of "what else do you have" before they finalize their order. At least half a dozen characters fit this obnoxious stereotype.

but i have nothing nothing nothing but love for strut-trades. for real. heat rocks auction just reinforced this whole network.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think it is wise of you to let people become familiar with you here before you start trading. I myself am very suspicious of the people who drop in here once every two months trying to trade/trade for uber raers. Not saying that having thousands of posts has anything to do with it, but like S***a said, people who have a personal investment in time on the site are not likely to pull anything shady - if nothing else because they want to continue to trade here. I've really yet to have a bad trade here in 2+ years. Trying to work out deals on the other hand can sometimes be a total headache. But you can normally get a vibe from how someone deals with you via email/PM (though I guess a language barrier could make this more difficult). Normally if someone takes a long time in responding to messages, or seems to have unreasonable demands I just break it off early.

i have had generally problematic trading/seeling/buying experience with france, italy, japan. i'm sure the language barrier is a factor as is geographic distance. but there seems to be some flighty, quirky heads perpetuating some negative stereotypes out there.

Geographic distance is a problem for shipping cost and time of delivery that is very subjective even by airmail. About language barrier, I think you know very fast if it will cause any problem.

i dont want to generalize, but on my website, japanese customers have been a blessing and a curse. huge orders, looooong waiting periods for payment, canceling items that hve been on hold forever, and constant pestering to send them lists of "what else do you have" before they finalize their order. At least half a dozen characters fit this obnoxious stereotype.

That's when you sell from a website I presume. Some people won't feel any urge for paying you (and will always need to know if other records are not hiding in the backroom...). In the case of a trade I think things are more straight: "I'm interested by this record from you, and propose that one in the same price range. Are you interested?" The only point where I might not feel comfortable is about condition and grading. Perhaps asking for and providing photos can help a lot in beeing confident.

but i have nothing nothing nothing but love for strut-trades. for real. heat rocks auction just reinforced this whole network.

I saw heatrock auctions (after they ended) and I found this project really brilliant. I believe that this state of mind made me want to become an active member. The first reason of my return on Soulstrut beeing Guzzo who made a thread about me because he was quite impatient to receive an LP he bought me throught eBay... The LP took about one month to arrive by airmail... Definitely subjective time of delivery as most of my japanese customers received their records in three days!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Please send me French pop picture sleeve 45s from the 1960s thanks

Thanks for the advice... I think I'll be wise and will first make trades with people I already talked to (PM / email) and who I feel like beeing reliable people. There's already one who PM'd me with a list of trades... Time will tell if I'm not going to be one of these you'll only hear about once in two monthes.

Please send me French pop picture sleeve 45s from the 1960s thanks

PM with a list.

• anyone make dope shirts that they'd like to trade for some shirts from my new line?

anyone make dope shirts that they'd like to trade for some shirts from my new line?

Haha ! I don't make shirts... Just make illustrations. Wanna make me work ?