that SERGIO MENDES/BEP album is kinda nice

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
i ended up copping the CD this week...and its pretty nice, at least 3 songs that i could play out with and nothing on the album that i need to skip. it's full of guest spots, but all the guests deliver (i was expecting a little more from Justin Timberlake, but he did okay)I'll admit i was hating when black eyed peas changed their style up, but then i looked back on the past 5-10 years and thought about how much my tastes in music have changed/evolved. if my tastes can change so much, how can i expect musicians to stay in the same box. and honestly, the old black eyed peas only had 1 good song, "joints and jams". "bridging the gaps" (yup, even the primo track) is part of what made me tire of underground hiphop.in conclusion-sergio mendes "timeless", COP THAT DISC-no need to hate on Black Eyed Peas-anyone know if will.i.am has any tracks on the next Justin Timberlake album? or when it's gonna drop

Comments

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    Is this post part of an elaborate joke? It seems so primed to bait anybody on this forum that I hardly dare respond. However, for the record:

-sergio mendes "timeless", COP THAT DISC

you're out of your mind.

-no need to hate on Black Eyed Peas

there's probably more need to exterminate the Black Eyed Peas, but this would only make them martyrs for whatever horrifying right-wing conspiracy they were created by.

-anyone know if will.i.am has any tracks on the next Justin Timberlake album? or when it's gonna drop

Uh, no.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    i ended up copping the CD this week...and its pretty nice, at least 3 songs that i could play out with and nothing on the album that i need to skip. it's full of guest spots, but all the guests deliver (i was expecting a little more from Justin Timberlake, but he did okay)

I'll admit i was hating when black eyed peas changed their style up, but then i looked back on the past 5-10 years and thought about how much my tastes in music have changed/evolved. if my tastes can change so much, how can i expect musicians to stay in the same box. and honestly, the old black eyed peas only had 1 good song, "joints and jams". "bridging the gaps" (yup, even the primo track) is part of what made me tire of underground hiphop.

in conclusion
    -sergio mendes "timeless", COP THAT DISC
    -no need to hate on Black Eyed Peas
    -anyone know if will.i.am has any tracks on the next Justin Timberlake album? or when it's gonna drop

wow. just wow.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    whats actually insane is the google bep ads above!!

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    Justified was a good album, but this post is about sergio mendes

this is not a bait post, i thought people on this board like new music too.

check out the jill scott slow jam from the album (it samples a drum break too)
    http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38JZIHN7HKY72030QJ755E6HX

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    omfg wow

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    i'm going to go to bed. in the mornign when i wake up at least one of you strutters is going to back me up on this Sergio Mendes album.

as for JT...if your a fan of the neptunes, timberland or scott storch and you havnt heard the album, you owe it to yourself to at least check it out, i'll list some of the highlights below:
    -seniorita
    -take it from here
    -cry me a river
    -like i love you
    -rock your body (that got played out, then re-invented as "signs")

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

oldie but goodie
    so what hasn't jumped the shark? STMB?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    i'm going to go to bed. in the mornign when i wake up at least one of you strutters is going to back me up on this Sergio Mendes album.

as for JT...

I got your back, hoLmes.

It bugs me when people hate on BEP. Granted, they added a sexy little thing (cue pisspants jpeg) and bubble-gummed their sound a little in order to win over a few million fans, but shit, they're still the same weirdo "houser" dudes that Eazy E put on. Plus, from what I've heard, Will.I.Am still reps his LA Underground roots. If Murs and 2Mex (who they both came up with) don't have a problem with them, why should anybody else? Shit, they've ALWAYS been the Benetton-type try-to-please-everybody rappers. If they DIDN'T go that pop star route, I bet the same dudes who used to like 'em would be hating on 'em for being too "underground." Can't please everybody. At least they found a way to be EXTREMELY successful doing what they love. Do you hater-types really think they sold their souls to the devil?

Herm

P.S. I've heard a few choice cuts on the Sergio Mendes album and a couple of them I really enjoy.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    On a technical level, the mixes on that album are immaculate, some of the best i've heard in a while (Tony maserati for engineering nerds). Most of it is basically old songs redone with passable hiphop programming and the peas occasionally interjecting with lines like "sergio, put some hip hop on it!,"

not bad for updated versions of classic songs to play out, but i would like it better with just the production and not the peas vocals. i say

I don't care if Will.I.Am fucked Marilyn Monroe's corpse, he's fucking weak and BEP are just a fashion band aspiring to be as edgy and deep as a Lindsay Lohan record. That ugly hag that their Board of Directors hired raised the overall level of masculinity significantly.

I don't care if Will.I.Am fucked Marilyn Monroe's corpse, he's fucking weak and BEP are just a fashion band aspiring to be as edgy and deep as a Lindsay Lohan record. That ugly hag that their Board of Directors hired raised the overall level of masculinity significantly.

There it is. Feel better? Good.

One question, though: Does fucking Marilyn Monroe's corpse usually gain your approval?

Herm

It's not an issue of approval. It would be a distinctive counter-example of the slick, commercial, manufactured, corporate-sponsored, suburb-ready image and sound that Will.I.Am exudes out of every heavily-mascara-ed pore.

It's not an issue of approval. It would be a distinctive counter-example of the slick, commercial, manufactured, corporate-sponsored, suburb-ready image and sound that Will.I.Am exudes out of every heavily-mascara-ed pore.

Oh.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    BEP + 7 million records sold = objectively good.

I was hoping someone who was capable of a humble, informed, non-hateful and non-sarcastic opinion would chime in. Like Day or someone like that.

Herm

Only in your mindgarden Paynaldo. "objectively" "good" is an oxymoron. Belee dat. I think you mean "blind masses chasing mainstream pop music manufacturers as they fall off a declining sales cliff" good.

Yadda yadda, everyone hatt their underground roots, hate on their current status, hatt on fergie's bladder, etc. The one thing nobody can hate on is will.i.am purposely not clearing the Stark Reality sample so Monty got paid.

So, conversely, every record that sold less than 1000 copies is "objectively" bad, right? Every acetate that never got pressed is "objectively" terrible? And The Bodyguard soundtrack is one of the best albums of any kind ever made? Billy Ray Cyrus sold more albums than BEP. That makes him pretty fucking "objectively" amazing, right?

If your statement is serious, you have shit instead of brains. And the shittiest record collection imaginable.

I was hoping someone who was capable of a humble, informed, non-hateful and non-sarcastic opinion would chime in. Like Day or someone like that.

Herm
    But that was the last word on the issue. All opinions on the BEP that are influenced by emotions or personal prejudices, and that are not based on observable phenomena (that can be presented factually) will be crushed by 7 million records.

You are joking, right? I loved you in Lethal Weapon 4.

Herm
    But that was the last word on the issue. All opinions on the BEP that are influenced by emotions or personal prejudices, and that are not based on observable phenomena (that can be presented factually) will be crushed by 7 million records.

I will present a video of Will.I.Am licking the president's balls. Let me find the YouTube link...

lol

So, conversely, every record that sold less than 1000 copies is "objectively" bad, right? Every acetate that never got pressed is "objectively" terrible? And The Bodyguard soundtrack is one of the best albums of any kind ever made? Billy Ray Cyrus sold more albums than BEP. That makes him pretty fucking "objectively" amazing, right?
    It would seem so; welcome to the world outside of your private mind garden.

Would you like to present a coherent counter-argument?

It can be observed that the membership of BEP was manufactured out of tissue harvested from plastic surgery disasters in the L.A. region. It's rumoured they contain large pieces of Carrottop's chin.

In some other dimension Faux_Rillz and Mel Gibson are the same person.

It can be observed that the membership of BEP was manufactured out of tissue harvested from plastic surgery disasters in the L.A. region. It's rumoured they contain large pieces of Carrottop's chin.

LOL

this jpeg adequately sums up the topic of the ongoing debate:

Really? So I'm just taking the bait. I knew this shit would happen.

post-surgery insomia makes me stay up late and get angry about bad commercial rap.

post-surgery insomia makes me stay up late and get angry about bad commercial rap.

hope you get better quick, was it appendicitis?

Really? So I'm just taking the bait. I knew this shit would happen.

nah I'm just saying, but the convergence of posting style-traits is clearly occurring.

In real life Mel Gibson = Reynaldo for those who are new.