Gil Scott-Heron in the news

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    wow...so frighteningly true...so many quotables...thank you.

You go and do that! Never sell out, that's right! And while you're upstairs not selling out, Mommy will be in the kitchen making dinner. Try to be quiet when you go up the stairs, will you, sweetie? Daddy's napping in the living room.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Pretty much on the mark, even though my moms probably hasn't heard of GSH.

Though I did feel like mom when my bhangra co-DJ asked me last year "Hey have you heard of the Last Poets?" At the time I gave him a pass for being too young, but I just found out that he was 31 at the time.

"Sometimes, instead of liberation, you get... more... tyranny! Ha! Got your nose!"

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I actually had a frighteningly similar convo with my dad after freshman year. The funny part was that I went to school with Gil Scott's daughter -- Gia Scott. I wasnt into all that popular shit in school but she was the biggest nerd/socail outcast in my grade. Very akward girl. She used to sing this song "Some say love, it is a river" every year in the talent show. Then the word got around to us kids that her dad was some spoken word artist who was kind of a crack addict. It didnt help her.
    Oh man, then freshman year in new York, I saw him play live, and that shit was unbelievable. been one of his biggest jewish fans since then. Makes me wish I had taken the time to get to know his daughter. Ah, man, what the fuck do you ever know.

• been one of his biggest jewish[/b] fans since then.

what does that have to do with anything? (no guzzo)

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    nothing, a lame joke that wasn't funny. I just thought the image of a .....