Back in NOLA, Keepin The Faith

vinylstalkervinylstalker 397 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Whats good Strutters.Its been a long while since I have checked in, and I thought I woulddrop you cats an update on the NOLA situation as I see it.I was living in Baton Rouge when that bitch Katrina came a knockin, and after8 long hot days of no electricity, I bugged outta there to drier pastures in Texas. Did alot of soul searching over the next months, and after saving up enough dough, I decided to come back to LA, specifically back to N.O. I havelived in the big Crescent City off and on a few times, and I just felt that Ineeded to be back here to do whatever my part could be to get this place backto a good place.Anyway, I have been back for about 3 months now, and yo, this place needs DJs!Trying to get a steady gig, but the clubs are slow to get back up, so nothingbut a few 1-shot gigs here and there. DJ SoulSister is doing her thing again at Mimi's, thank God, so that's something. Here is my official call out to allyou cats with some disposable income to come out here and check things out.Everyone needs to keep abreast of the situation here, and write your Congressman/woman. Shit is SLOWLY recovering, but damn, I see the news andthe picture they paint and the picture here on the ground are 2 different things.Anybody that wants to come out and play a show, I can try to hook it up, andwill offer any Strutter a couch to crash on.I'll try to post some pics later on, and give a more detailed report on the haps,but I just wanted to post this up and get New Orleans up in the mix again,cause she sure deserves it.

Comments

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    i might be able to come down in may/june

i was there a month or so ago to volunteer with http://www.emergencycommunities.org/ and i think i'd like to spend another week with them.

if you could setup a DJ gig for me that would be great, help pay for some of the gas money (it's an 18 hour drive from ohio)

my email is [email]djbarticus@gmail.com[/email] stay in touch cuase my soulstrut inbox hasn't worked in a while.

• Sounds good hommie, although it may be a bit early for me to
    get anything set up. I have dreams of a multi-city, real-time
    webcast DJ gig featuring an all 'Nawlins artist set, with proceeds
    going to a local church here doing rebuilding in the lower 9th. Anyone
    with expierience in such things, holla.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    That sounds great, I would love to visit the city again. Keep on doing your thing, the city will definitely rise again!

• Well, I'm not sure "rise again" is too accurate (Its still sinking
    at some unfathomable rate.)

The main thing that is really different around here is the lack of local
    color (read: no 'mo black folk) and that is what made the city such a chocolately
    cool place to begin with. For every dope poboy shop that will never reopen,
    a new StarBukkks is opening up. Really. You can staight up feel the
    whiteification happening every day.

Oh, and only about 60% of the traffic lights are operating, so its like a
    smash-em-up derby getting to work.

On a related note, has anyone noticed Nawlins 45's rising in price?
    You gotta figure all of the remaining stashes in the city are gone, so
    the only pieces left are the ones already in collectro's hands......

• Alright, Check it out.

I just hooked up with the owners of The Funky Butt on Rampart Street, a club of
    some renown here in NOLA, and Vinylstalker, aka DJ Butterfingers, will be the new resident DJ when they reopen in July!!

So, all systems are GO for the benifit gig, wich I hope to get going on the last Saturday nite in July or the 1st one in August.

I dont have many DJ contacts in the US, so I am hoping to use SoulStrut as a beacon to invite up to 4 DJ's with the appropriate wax.
    This is what I have to offer:

1.) A nice new active Mackie PA to play through, and a not-so-nice, pretty ghetto
    light board replete with bubble machine and broke-ass lazers to play with.
    2.) A 550 person capacity room that I will be lucky to fill to play to.
    3.) No less than $150 per DJ, and probably not much more (str8 outta my pocket.)
    4.) Ample couchspace and floorspace at Castle Vinylstalker in Uptown 'Nawlins.
    5.) All you can eat Jambalya and Etoufee provided by Po Boy Lloyds on the night
    of the show. Im even getting some burlesque dancers up on stage!!!
    6.) Opportunity to play cool records for cool people for a good cause. All
    proceeds will go to the Lower 9th Ward Baptist Word Church Vehicle
    Replacement Project. These guys are buying new (old) cars for folks willing
    to move back into the area. Cool people.

I know the money aint great, but I will def. show all participants a good time, show yall the sights, etc.

Who's game??
    Holla on the PM or reply.
    'C-mon!!!!!