this question:

mallardmallard 452 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
"so...what kinda music do you listen to?"one of the most common questions asked when meeting a new person. much more common than favorite movies, books, etc. something you can ask out of nowhere without any odd looks. for those of you here that listen to music [especially those that consider their tastes more eclectic], what is your standard response? or do you have a standard response at all? do you break out your scroll of grails in hopes of getting a melt-face in return [and if no melt-face present, then you know dood simply isn't a real head]? show them your post you printed out from the latest weekday finds thread? i just started working a new job and this has come up several times and i'm never quite sure how to respond without becoming 'record-snob' while still proving my ever-present connection to all streets.apologies if this post isn't up to par. drinking/posting is too much fun.

Comments

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    yeha, it's always tempting to give the record snob answer and talk about all the obscure 60s music-concrete meets loner folk psychedelia you think is really awesome...

...but i've learned to deal with it by naming some mainstream bands that i respect and think most people should have heard of (and if they haven't at least been exposed to them, i will find it extra hard to discuss music with them)...so i usually say "80s stuff like joy division, the cure, as well as jazz"...and if they ask "oh really what kind of jazz?" i'll say something superficial like "later career coltrane, ornette coleman, etc." to test the waters. i'll only talk about my extensive collection of jandek albums after the other person has revealed their musical interests.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    The question still stumps me, and this is after having a radio show for six years. Usually I just say "jazz and funk" and let people think what they want. Sometimes it depends on who's asking. I emphasise jazz with older people likely to have conservative taste and funky black man raer for people closer to .

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The question still stumps me

• my answer: anything that conveys emotion

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    best answer: "METAL! Get the fuck outta my face!"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "so...what kinda music do you listen to?"

one of the most common questions asked when meeting a new person. much more common than favorite movies, books, etc. something you can ask out of nowhere without any odd looks.

for those of you here that listen to music [especially those that consider their tastes more eclectic], what is your standard response? or do you have a standard response at all? do you break out your scroll of grails in hopes of getting a melt-face in return [and if no melt-face present, then you know dood simply isn't a real head]? show them your post you printed out from the latest weekday finds thread?

i just started working a new job and this has come up several times and i'm never quite sure how to respond without becoming 'record-snob' while still proving my ever-present connection to all streets.

apologies if this post isn't up to par. drinking/posting is too much fun.

Back when I used to ask that question the most common response was, "I listen to all kinds of music; Phil Collins, Eagles, Springsteen".

I don't get asked it much any more, but I answer with what has been on rotation on the CD player in the house, which tends to be publicradioworldmusicroots type stuff. Maloko, Count Willie and Infinity is just going to generate a lot more dumb questions.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    i guess what i'm getting at is...do any of you possess the intrepidity to outright respond with "records"? responding this way can tell you a lot about the original inquisitor, depending on their reaction. if they give you the breakface you know you'll have enough conversation fodder for hours and the ice is officially broken. on the other hand, if you get the gasface, then you know you've found your reliable source for any new mike shinoda press releases.

win-win really.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    When you drop "DJ _______" you get a strange look and "Oh your into that scene" type of look.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    i guess what i'm getting at is...do any of you possess the intrepidity to outright respond with "records"? responding this way can tell you a lot about the original inquisitor, depending on their reaction. if they give you the breakface you know you'll have enough conversation fodder for hours and the ice is officially broken. on the other hand, if you get the gasface, then you know you've found your reliable source for any new mike shinoda press releases.

win-win really.

I think you're looking into it a lil too deep - the question is a pretty generic conversation starter/item, much like 'did you have a good w/e' or 'isn't the weather great?' .. people have their own preferences, and whilst some are going to be interested in what you're interested in more broadly they're unlikely to have heard of say McDonald & Giles, Marc Moulin or Damn Sam the Miracle Man or to share the same passion you have for music, or take away a whole lot of new names to go track down after the conversation .. these are my experiences, as evidenced I suppose by half hearted responses by friends to new mixes you give them, or stuff you put them up on .. that was hot, thats some weird shit man and so on .. in trying to impress your passion on others you can also risk being percieved as being somewhat condesending or elitist .. that said, if you find someone who is as passionate about music as you great .. my 2c ..

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    "stuff you never heard of"

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I usually say hip-hop. Let them know I don't tolerate no hattin.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

shit is bugging me out

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    This question shouldn't be asked of you while you are wearing a DJ-themed t-shirt and "cuttin records" in an upscale clothing shop for nothing but "props."

The fact that you also listen to Ray Conniff and Thai elephants bangin on shit comes into the conversation later.