How are you improving yourself this year?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
So we're approaching the halfway point of the year. Wondering what you people are doing to improve yourself or your life. Two great things that will make my life much easier have happened. I bought a motorcycle (my first form of transportation in three or four years) and my company moved me into my own office smack in the middle of downtown Berkeley.My plans are now to-1. Start schooling to become a licensed Paramedic with hopes of becoming a firefighter.2. Train myself to become a firefighter. My office is located right next to a gym.3. Maybe move into a new place. The guy I bought my Motorcycle from is moving out of his pad which is priced the same as the one I have now but is much nicer albeit a bit smaller. I'm hoping to get all three of these things going in full force by the end of the year. Without transportation it was hard especially since 3 hours of my day was spent commuting everyday.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    imma try to shave more often

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    e-e-e-e-everyday I'm hustlin'

I think I might even move up to extra medium sized dude this year.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

cashless2cashfull?

i'm trying to learn as many foreign languages as i can with solid proficiency. right now i'm strengthening my spanish and japanese, and embarking on chinese and arabic.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

cashless2cashfull?

you never know, if you see start posting about my Escada fits, you know I'm there.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I was actually thinking about this earlier today. Here are a few things I'm doing to better myself this year and hereafter:

1. Reading a lot more and re-sharpening my analytical skills
    2. Making another committment to volunteer teaching next year
    3. Exercising each morning, push-ups, curls, a run on the weekend
    4. Continuing to build my personal and professional network
    5. Tapping back into my musical creativity
    6. Beefing up my savings account
    7. Expanding my resume and marketable on-the-job skills
    8. Develop more independent income streams
    9. Travel more, get up, get out and do somethin'...

Lots of other life planning that I will be setting in motion as well, but I'm greatly encouraged by the results I've seen from the above so far.

More power after halftime in '06.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i havent improved on shit this year

• -earned myself a promotion to associate producer
    -submitting scripts to producers for writing jobs
    -upping my exercise regiment (adding cardio)
    -getting my weight up...literally, gained 15 pounds since the new year

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    these threads come up every few months and i am equally depressed every time. its like what "weekday finds" does for my RR-morale, but for my real morale!!

yall improve too much. jus sayin.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    - I'm now independently employed - full time freelance - as of about a month ago.
    - Switched to a gym that's closer, cheaper, and better (now I go more)
    - learning new things, like how to cook different dishes, do better web design, etc

* wishlist *

- spin out again...long overdue
    - get a new bike!
    - drop 5 lbs

• PausePause 11 Posts
    I wanna get paid... every day ery day ery day ery day ery day...

• djrdjr 511 Posts

If I can stay on top of the yardwork this summer, I'd be happy.
    Some parts of owning a house is a real pain in the ass.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Major changes in eating habits (eating much better). Working out 3-5 days a week (I always use the summers to get in shape, but I've got a huge headstart this year. I'm already at my fighting weight). Taking time out to breate/sit quietly and relax every day. Marrying a better half. Doing some projects with a friend. And, about to finish reading this... (which was EXTRAORDINARY...)

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Buying a house and saving money. I seriously never thought I would do these two things.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some thangs I need to do:

1. Exercise more regularly.

2. Related to #1, lose weight.

3. Make a serious push to leave butt-ass Milwaukee.

4. Related to #3, achieve some balance between professional and personal lives (i.e., my social life sucks but my professional life is great).

5. Buy a home in our target location (probably the Mid-Atlantic or nearby that region; been thinking about the Southwest, any thought???).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    improving ?!?

that sounds like work,
    & i'm all Maynard G. Cribbs about that

i'm just gonna change,
    my address & move southside
    start a garden
    only sling records 3000+ miles from home
    start some shit wherever i end up

if i improve myself on the way
    so be it

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

5. Buy a home in our target location (probably the Mid-Atlantic or nearby that region; been thinking about the Southwest, any thought???).

Stacks,

Big nice new houses are MAD cheap in Arizona! Only problem is that they are in Arizona. LOL!!!!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

i'm slingin my mid atlantic house at the moment

can be had with 3 rooms full o vinyl, or without

Come to Richmond VA the houses are really inexpensive.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Stacks,

Big nice new houses are MAD cheap in Arizona! Only problem is that they are in Arizona. LOL!!!!

Hey Chan (and others),

What's the deal with the Soutwest? I've read that this region is on the rise with job growth and has less racial intolerance than Rust Belt regions such as the Midwest and Northeast. This fuels my desire to not relocate to those areas. I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic (all over Maryland) and loved it, although I hear housing prices are off-the-chain. My wife and I really want to move to a region that is more progressive than the racist-ass, insular Midwest. We are hoping that this next move will be the last, so any input into "what places are like" (especially for people of color) would be appreciated greatly. I've heard from a colleague of mine that Philly is a nice place for upwardly mobile Black folks to live, as well as the usual big ups to Atlanta and Washington, D.C. Are there any other diamond-in-the-rough regions to live that are lesser known (e.g., Raleigh-Durham, although my brother says otherwise)?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    What I'm doing:

1. Still quit smoking after 6 months.
    2. Drinking water instead of Coke/juice/etc when @ home.
    3. Studying and optimistic of getting that BA as planned.

What I plan to do:

1. Take my music more seriously and buy the equipment I need.
    2. Not take shit jobs, start a career.
    3. Start working on a video project.
    4. Skateboard like crazy this summer and work the spare tire off.

• i too have stopped drinking soda and replaced it with water, for the most part, i do have the occaisional slipup, jack and coke related.
    ive been doin this www.drnatura.com
    i originally found out about it from a crink "not safe for anything" post.
    good stuff!

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I just became a US citizen yesterday, does that mean I've improved this year? I'm a long time Canadian.

I just became a US citizen yesterday, does that mean I've improved this year? I'm a long time Canadian.

Congratulations now proceed to hatting on those who haven't become citizens yet.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    1.. excelling at work
    2.. drink less
    3.. smoke less
    4.. save money