MOLD SPORES (RR)

bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Moldy records may do me in...I just did a little reading up on "Farmers Lung" and it sounds like if I did real damage I'd been feeling headachy and fatigued... but really my throat has just been feeling sore, and I got super congested and was having to breathe real heavy last night.It sounds like they automatically rip holes in your lung though??

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Watch where you dig for those 45's!!!

Everyday I work I think about asbestos... *sigh*

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    from doityourself.com

Mold spores are tiny bacteria less than 4 microns in size -- so small that as many as 250,000 spores can fit on a pin head and a farmer can inhale as many as 750,000 of these spores per minute! They are produced by microorganisms which grow in moist hay and stored grain silage where the moisture content is high (30%) and the area is poorly ventilated.

When farmers move or work with hay and silage materials in which mold spores have grown, the mold spores attach themselves to airborne dust particles. The farmer not only inhales dust particles which may not be extremely hazardous, but he also inhales mold spores which are a serious hazard. Heavy concentrations of mold spores appear as dry, white or grey powder or clouds.

The body has natural defense filtering systems (such as mucous lining, coughing and sneezing) against dusty air which helps remove some contaminants, BUT most contaminants overpower and pass through these defenses. Mold spores not only bypass defenses because of their number, but also because they are so small.

Very fine particles, like mold spores, move into, accumulate and settle into the lower lungs. There they produce toxins. Remember that the lungs transfer oxygen to the bloodstream, and most of the actual exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen takes place in the lower lungs. Now the lungs become a roadway for toxic materials to travel through the bloodstream with the oxygen. The body's reaction to the toxins permanently affects the lungs' ability to transfer oxygen into the bloodstream. The lung tissue becomes permanently scared and each exposure to mold spores increases the damage.

The body's last defense against these tiny invaders is to develop an allergy producing cold or pneumonia-like symptoms.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Mold spores are tiny bacteria

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT! Who wrote that shit? Pure crap!

Mushrooms are Jazz! No plants, no bacteria. No animal, no algae, no lichen! Mushrooms are like Jazz. Bucka bucka MAAAAAAN.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Mold spores are tiny bacteria

I'm still laughing! Do people get paid to write something like that?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    here's the direct link http://doityourself.com/info/moldrespiratory

I thought it would be accurate because it's taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    from doityourself.com

Mold spores are tiny bacteria less than 4 microns in size -- so small that as many as 250,000 spores can fit on a pin head and a farmer can inhale as many as 750,000 of these spores per minute! They are produced by microorganisms which grow in moist hay and stored grain silage where the moisture content is high (30%) and the area is poorly ventilated.

When farmers move or work with hay and silage materials in which mold spores have grown, the mold spores attach themselves to airborne dust particles. The farmer not only inhales dust particles which may not be extremely hazardous, but he also inhales mold spores which are a serious hazard. Heavy concentrations of mold spores appear as dry, white or grey powder or clouds.

The body has natural defense filtering systems (such as mucous lining, coughing and sneezing) against dusty air which helps remove some contaminants, BUT most contaminants overpower and pass through these defenses. Mold spores not only bypass defenses because of their number, but also because they are so small.

Very fine particles, like mold spores, move into, accumulate and settle into the lower lungs. There they produce toxins. Remember that the lungs transfer oxygen to the bloodstream, and most of the actual exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen takes place in the lower lungs. Now the lungs become a roadway for toxic materials to travel through the bloodstream with the oxygen. The body's reaction to the toxins permanently affects the lungs' ability to transfer oxygen into the bloodstream. The lung tissue becomes permanently scared and each exposure to mold spores increases the damage.

The body's last defense against these tiny invaders is to develop an allergy producing cold or pneumonia-like symptoms.

So, if I've been cleaning out a storage unit full of records hosting dust and mold residue, have I permenantly damaged my lungs? What if the black area has become just a dry dust? Is it dead or what?

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    MOLD IS HUGE

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    here's the direct link http://doityourself.com/info/moldrespiratory

I thought it would be accurate because it's taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

mold is a fungus. not a bacteria. fungi are an own life-form. the info about the hazard is half-right, but most side info is totally wrong. i don't know about the US wikipedia, but the german one is really great. you should try wikipedia or university sites for reliable information.

be careful with mold. it can be very hazardous. a sore throat is the first sign of an allergy. too many spores will start an allergic reaction. feeling tired and sore throats are just the beginning. i moved out of my apartment because of mold. mold is absolutely non-acceptable. it's almost impossible for one to completely remove mold, once it has grown... be careful.

i don't know if mold can damage your lunge. probably not. no need to be afraid, but you should take this very very seriuos. it's no fun at all. i put my moldy record covers into plastic sleeves and seal them. i don't want to deal with mold spores again.

take care! hope i could help...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I use a Clorox bleach spray on the outside of sleeves and it seems to do the trick when there's just a light coating... but then I noticed that some have some little spots on the inside of the sleeve, along the bottom seam... since I can't access that area well enough to clean it properly I was thinking about just putting tape over it. Is there an alternative?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I use a Clorox bleach spray on the outside of sleeves and it seems to do the trick when there's just a light coating... but then I noticed that some have some little spots on the inside of the sleeve, along the bottom seam... since I can't access that area well enough to clean it properly I was thinking about just putting tape over it. Is there an alternative?

bleaching will make your record covers look better, but it won't remove the mold. it will just bleach it. i would recommend some acid (eg vinegar). unless it smells bad. there's really no way to remove the mold from paper, me thinks. the stains might diasppear, but not the invisible roots (hyphae) of the mold. maybe, you should go and ask at your local library. they might know how to remove mold from paper.

i would never put sleevs with mold between my clean records. way too risky. and i would be scrared that the mold would go into my walls. cause that would be REALLY UGLY.

They're separate, and in plastic sleeves... but if its really this risky I'd rather not have them around

I managed to get some results from the search feature for once, Fatback gives some thorough recommendations as usual:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...true#Post420649

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I managed to get some results from the search feature for once, Fatback gives some thorough recommendations as usual:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...true#Post420649

great info. but i'd still keep the once moldy records in sleeves in seperate boxes. i wouldn't risk to put them back to my clean ones. mold is really nasty. it is very hard to kill the fungus. the spores are easy to kill, also the stains (maybe fruits of the fungus - i don't even know what the stains are), but the hyphae?!?! never that son.

fungi are superior! very jazzy...