how big is the world cup 2006 hyped in the US?

13»

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Fucking FA Cup is on in 10 mins and it's on fucking pay per view??? WTF................

GO REDS!!!

I need to find a stream somewhere.

Oh, man. Trust me, that game was worth paying for. Insane levels of drama, the mighty Stevie Gerrard blasting in a screamer to equalise at 3-3 just as injury time's announced, players literally running themselves into the ground, and a superstar performance in the penalty shoot-out by Pepe Reina. One of the greatest FA Cup Finals of all time.

HOLY FUCK!!! that was a game! Gerrard is a fucking cyborg.

but really though...

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    PURE game over time. he won that game for a quite-average liverpool team... i wanted west ham to win but ce la vie.. wicked game of football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k32uN8dt6yE&search=west%20ham%20liverpool

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    OK, just watched the game. QUALITY!!!!!!!!!

BBC coverage was really top notch. Took all night to grab, but it was well worth it. I'm pumped for Germany.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    Best fa cup in recent times, for sure.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    One of, if not the best, FA cup final I've ever seen and I wanted West Ham to win. I was forced to let out a Ric Flair whoop of excitement when Gerrard hit the equaliser in stoppage time.

It's hard to criticise Liverpool being a one man team when Gerrard's playing that well.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's hard to criticise Liverpool being a one man team when Gerrard's playing that well.

Dunno if that's entirely true generally - Carragher, Finnan and Alonso have all had great seasons, and it's easy to forget that Reina had totalled 30 clean sheets before Saturday's game - but there's no doubt in my mind that, even without the benefit of three flukey goals, West Ham would have wrapped that up well within normal time if Gerrard hadn't played.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Dunno if that's entirely true generally - Carragher, Finnan and Alonso have all had great seasons, and it's easy to forget that Reina had totalled 30 clean sheets before Saturday's game - but there's no doubt in my mind that, even without the benefit of three flukey goals, West Ham would have wrapped that up well within normal time if Gerrard hadn't played.

Yeah I was getting at the general criticism that people tend to level at teams like Arsenal or Liverpool who have one player at such a world class level that he tends to outshine the rest of the team, it's more the fault of the strikers for not taking their chances. Reina's had a great season, can't believe the baldie is only 23.

Just a shame that Gerrard will be misused in the world cup, having to share the holding role with Lampard instead of having the freedom to attack that bringing in a holding player such as Reo Coker could give him.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    the benefit of three flukey goals

This is a point that none of the sunday papers seem to have aknowledged. All of thier goals were from rare mistakes from Liverpool players. West Ham wouldn't have scored otherwise, but we walloped in three total screamers. We didn't have the best game overall, but I think it was pretty clear that we had more class in all departments than the hammers.

That being said, I was still resigned to the loss when the clocked turned on to 90 minutes...but then...Stevie Gerrard! Goal of the season for me, hands down. Also, Reina's tip on to the post a couple of minutes before the end of extra time, could well be save of the season too. It was then I know we had it wrapped up, ala Dudek/Shevchenko/Instanbul.

All in all, great game in retrospect, but I seriously don't think my ticker can take another final like that...still, roll on the world cup!

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    i HOPE the champions league final is played out like the FA cup final.. i cant see it though..

ronaldinho is gonna step his game up. henry doesnt care cause he's playing for barca next season, ha ha

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    why arent you guys talking about something that matters, like the game on wednesday... ahem...

I'd love it if that game has half the drama of Saturday's (or last season's CL final, for that matter). Somehow, I don't see it being played in quite as open a fashion. Still, I'm a big admirer of the Gooners, and come Wednesday night, I'll be rooting for them.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeh yeh ANYWAY,

CROATIA is going to win the WORLD CUP this year!

you heard it here on SOULSTRUT first.