Just Joined Peace !

Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Can't believe i have left it so long to join, been enjoying RAJ on ebay for so long what with his famous job lots and hot shit and what not !Havn't been able to afford much recently that Howard Roberts - Spinning Wheel LP has been eluding me for ages ! Missed 2 copies !!Thanks to Young Einstien for clocking my soulstrut.com T-shirt at a UD gig last night and thanks to soulstrut.com, the guy is an inspiration !!!Big shout to any UK cats here !I'm a BIG PUTS, UD, GP fan and Into Hendrix, Hip-Hop, Jazz ( BIG Wes Montgomery, George Benson and jazz guitarist fan ), Prog, Jazz-Funk, P-Funk anything really! and i have a thing for library records ! especially German Selected Sound Records ya know the GOLD Ones !!Used to make my own tracks on the side as a hobby but gave up, now getting back into it and want to get my own set-up going again anybody got any suggestions?I think i know which way to go its real hard to decide with so much studio gear out there!sorry to sound a bit all over the place still finding my way about the forum...peace ! RAJ=Legend

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Welcome to the (extremely disfunctional) family!!!

Herm

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Welcome, from one Ian D to another.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    thanks guys, going thru the forum, feeling bit outta my depth, but i'll get there !thanks for making me feel at home straight off !!!

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    this forum is the bomb found some wicked french library records for sale on bay man why the hell did i leave it sooooo long !!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    been enjoying RAJ for so long with his famous hot jobs

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    been enjoying RAJ for so long in his famous hot tub

Without reading the thread, I spent half the
    day trying to figure out what "peace" he had
    joined.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Oh, and Ian - what's up ... I got a minty copy
    of that Howard Roberts, PM me some trades and
    maybe we can do this...

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    job lots = lots of records for sale in one go.
    hot shit = RAJ selling his top wax on ebay.

I'm from the UK don't ya know guvnor apples and pears!

I'll keep ya in mind and thanks for that SoulOnIce i'm off digging tomorrow know someone who could help me out.

• I live near worcester E, we'll have to link or summit

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    especially German Selected Sound Records ya know the GOLD Ones !!

it's bronze! not gold...

Welcome!

• Hey Ian.
    Greeto.

As far as setups go, man, if I had to start over again and had about 6k to spend, with maximum bang for the buck in the quality department, this is how I would go.

iBook 1.4 14" (dont go big here, these are about to get sick cheap soon, and the intels are gonna act funny until the architecture gets stable), but I still thing mac's are better overall, especially if you gotta use the web on the same machine... way viruses/hacks/shit.
    Some Really Good Powered Monitors (6" Adams or Dynaudios) will pay for themselves, they are your ears.
    Really good 2 channel DA/AD (Apogee Rosetta 200 on an mBOX?) you need high quality here, the I/O is the most important part of the chain here. It will alow you to have good transfer of records or stuff that you are recording yourself, and allow you to make critical judgements without questioning the sound.
    2 Good Preamp/EQs from which you would run your turntables or mics into... not really nessasary, but will indeed add character to all the samples getting transfered to your computer and give you two nice EQs / Preamps when you need them. You can run a $100 mic into a good preamp and make a real nice record, or, you can have a $5000 mic with the wrong preamp and it will sound like doodoo. I would suggest looking for some used Vintech 73i's.
    (check the gearslutz.com used forum for this kind of stuff, pro gear at realistic prices.... semi proshit goes for stupid cheap on there...).
    Also:
    A Software Sequncer and Recorder (Pro Tools is the most common, mBOX is cheap and easy).
    Kontakt 2.1 as a sampler.
    Some softsynths (Korg Bundle and Aurturia stuff are both usable).
    a few crackey mastering plugins.
    Voila.

Expensive, yes. Usable and capable of making a real quality record... yes.
    more importantly, any of this stuff (save the mBOX) will hold its value, so if you ever have to dump it, you will be fine...

Welcome.
    Silvertoned.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    especially German Selected Sound Records ya know the GOLD Ones !!

it's bronze! not gold...

Welcome!

for defo, be great to hook up with a fellow UK Digger ! Bronze / Gold sorry my bad ! my eye sight ain't what it used to be all i know is i luv the cheesy music and synth stuff on them

Thanks for the ideas for the set-up, i guess i do need some sort of set-up like that, my buget is tight but i'll take some of your suggestions, i've been using ableton live on my laptop, just messing around, its good but the swing features and drum programming ain't upto much but i've been using rewire with cubase VST to hook in some programmed beats.I want to get an MPC 2000 or 2500/3000 but havn't decided...given me alot ot think about thanks !

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I'm from Bristol too... share your secret digging spots

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

thats tough, as i used to dig in bath alot as my sister lived there, nashers has closed closed on the 26th march a sad day, used to dig there alot.Moved to bristol from paignton recently and only just getting time to dig again, i have some spots lined up this week i'll let you know how i get on.;)I have heard alot of places have closed in bristol, there was one good place up park street used to sell funk and stuff opposite replay but its gone, really shocked about it.
    I do use charity shops sometimes but thats only when i can stomach the smell!

The spots i used to go in Paignton in torbay have all gone Middle Music ( Roger Top Bloke), KMA, Blues & Beyond, Hens Teeth in Exeter loads of other places all gone.I use Ebay but i feel dirty when i do it

thats tough, as i used to dig in bath alot as my sister lived there, nashers has closed closed on the 26th march a sad day, used to dig there alot.Moved to bristol from paignton recently and only just getting time to dig again, i have some spots lined up this week i'll let you know how i get on.;)I have heard alot of places have closed in bristol, there was one good place up park street used to sell funk and stuff opposite replay but its gone, really shocked about it.

Wicked, thanks...
    Hardly any places have closed in Bristol, the one you're thinking of was Imperial Records and it didn't really have any old soul or funk in, mainly the latest reissues etc...the only other place i can think of that closed was Backyard records and that only really sold hip hop...
    I must have missed Nasher's by a few days as i went there in the Easter Holidays and noticed it was gone...

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    Yeah Imperial Records, the only reason i was looking for that was that i was looking for Aim - Cold Water Music for ages on vinyl finally found one in there...that was a long time ago now!

Have you heard of a place called Prime Cuts on Glouster Road ?? the guy at prime cuts who in a round about way discovered on ebay said loads of places had closed must have been talking about those places.I cannot find it at all and i've been up and down the road a few times, map reading not my strong point ! and what about Rubber Soul that still there?? havn't been in there for ages
    Thats where i'm heading tomorrow, hopefully if nothing comes up.

Yeah Imperial Records, the only reason i was looking for that was that i was looking for Aim - Cold Water Music for ages on vinyl finally found one in there...that was a long time ago now!

Have you heard of a place called Prime Cuts on Glouster Road ?? the guy at prime cuts who in a round about way discovered on ebay said loads of places had closed must have been talking about those places.I cannot find it at all and i've been up and down the road a few times, map reading not my strong point ! and what about Rubber Soul that still there?? havn't been in there for ages

Prime Cuts isn't immediately obvious to spot as it's int he basement of the vintage clothes shop "Repsycho"... the guy you spoke to(Mike) knows his stuff and runs a good shop with some bargains to be had if you look hard enough...
    Rubber Soul is still there but i don't have much luck at that place and find the prices a bit too much for me...good luck though!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

Prime Cuts isn't immediately obvious to spot as it's int he basement of the vintage clothes shop "Repsycho"... the guy you spoke to(Mike) knows his stuff and runs a good shop with some bargains to be had if you look hard enough...
    Rubber Soul is still there but i don't have much luck at that place and find the prices a bit too much for me...good luck though!

Man Thanks V Much i owe you a pint sometime !! Driven passed it
    I feel much better now i know that these places are still there and i know where prime cuts is i was starting to panic...life without digging is unthinkable!!
    again thanks if i find anywhere else i'll let you know!!

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

Thanks for the welcome Raystar! cool cover!!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Welcome aboard man.