What Do You Call Your In-Laws?

RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I call mine Dumb & Dumber.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I call mine Dumb & Dumber.

I was calling my future inlaws by their first name. Then one day they told me that after the wedding they wanted me to call them Mother and Father, or Mr & Mrs H***. Now when speaking about them in the third person I say Mother or Father, "Mother says it is time for dinner." If I need to address them directly I often use their first name. I'm afraid I just can't be as formal as they like.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    My wife has an Uncle whom I call Uncle Dave even when speaking to him directly... he's the only family member of my wifes that I address that way... now I love my father-In-Law and I have told him that to his face, but he can be such a punk when it comes to his wife that its sickening...

I am a person of divorced parents and I could never call anyone else Mom or Dad especially as I have been asked to by my mom just to make her boyfriend at the time feel good... I was six years old and you had to half way kill me to get me to do that... he told my Mom, "he dont have to call me that if he dont want..." Moms was a trip when she was young.

I find that when it comes to my In-Laws, its seems as though my wife and I are the parents and her parents are the children...

• by first names.
    wouldn`t matter how muchi likedthem or what they did for me.

I only have one mother and one dad.

I actually went mental at my brother when i heard him call his in law 'mum'.
    i warned him not to let our mum hear him say that..

• By first names, though I often call my Mother-in-law "Ma"....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I only have one mother and one dad.

I actually went mental at my brother when i heard him call his in law 'mum'.
    i warned him not to let our mum hear him say that..

That's how I felt when they asked me to call them Mother and Father. I try to respect their wishs because I respect and love them and they are family. Also to keep the peace. But I in no way feel that they are mother and father, or mom and dad (as I call mine), to me.