bush not down with spanish national anthem

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060428/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_national_anthempitbull on the remix? check the caption to his photo on the left.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    spanish national anthem

IMO

• spanish national anthem

IMO

There are plenty of American-born US citizens for whom English is not their first language. They should learn the anthem in English? I guess patriotic sentiments doesn't count unless it's in English?

spanish national anthem

IMO

There are plenty of American-born US citizens for whom English is not their first language. They should learn the anthem in English? I guess patriotic sentiments doesn't count unless it's in English?

I think it's opening a pandora's box of sorts.

My country sings our national anthem in both French & English. And even in both (Tho, I think it's fucking stupid to sing it in both, but whatever.)

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    spanish national anthem

IMO

we should have someone re-write the words on the statue of liberty to this gem of a quote from our current prez:

"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

• spanish national anthem

IMO

we should have someone re-write the words on the statue of liberty to this gem of a quote from our current prez:

"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

When's he going to learn to speak English???

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    fucka national anthem. it should just be a bobby womack song or somethin'.

• It would be one thing if someone was suggesting making a Spanish version the official version of the song or something, but he's actually objecting to someone who just recorded a version on a CD!! Plain and simple, the dude's just a fucking raging asshole who's pandering to his "base".

• there is nothing remotely controversial in the statement bush made.

• I would suggest there's nothing remotely controversial about someone recording the Anthem in Spanish.

• I would suggest there's nothing remotely controversial about someone recording the Anthem in Spanish.

I would concur...

not so sure about that, but it is a pretty petty thing to get riled up about

there is nothing remotely controversial in the statement bush made.

if your a bigoted redneck, perhaps not.

you don't see this as a smack in the face to all the immigrants who are productive members of society, but for whom english is a second language, and more so to those who are recent immigrants qho have not learned the language yet?

here is the statement again:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    fucka national anthem

I would suggest there's nothing remotely controversial about someone recording the Anthem in Spanish.

I would concur...

I'd tend to agree. If it's something you wanna play for ur friends and to see if it goes triple platinum.

• I would love to hear Bush's take on this:

you don't see this as a smack in the face to all the immigrants who are productive members of society, but for whom english is a second language, and more so to those who are recent immigrants qho have not learned the language yet?

You dont have to be a bigoted redneck to agree with bush's remarks. You merely need a genuine concern for immigrant communities rather than a desire to pat yourself on the back for your 'cultural sensitivity'.

You dont have to be a bigoted redneck to agree with bush's remarks. You merely need a genuine concern for immigrant communities rather than a desire to pat yourself on the back for your 'cultural sensitivity'.

[eye-rolling sarcasm]Your genuine concern is heartwarming.[/eye-rolling sarcasm]

since when the fuck do immigrants give a shit about singing the national anthem? how does anybody actually even care about this? pardon my forthrightness.

there is nothing remotely controversial in the statement bush made.

no, you really do have to be a bigoted redneck. the president shouldn't be instructing immigrants that they "ought to learn" the national anthem in english. that is trivial at best. bush is running our country into the ground and he is worried about the national anthem. please. if you hadn't figured this out, bush got ripped by the right wing for his guest workers program, so now he is getting tough on immigration with this nonsense.

by the way, i agree that immigrants should learn the english national anthem. i just think that on a list of priorities, it ranks somewhere between eating a philly cheesesteak and ice skating in rocefeller center. bush is an ass for making those remarks, bottom line.

bush is an ass for making those remarks, bottom line.

but honestly, is it really all that surprising to you? i mean shit if you made a big deal out of every stupid little thing that ass says and made a post about it, they'd have to change the name of this site to BushStrut instantly..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    respect, love, loyalty, gratitude and patriotism are now the dominion of the English language!

i think a national anthem in many languages is a beautiful thing - i guess i'm just corny/Canadian.

• respect, love, loyalty, gratitude and patriotism are now the dominion of the English language!

i think a national anthem in many languages is a beautiful thing - i guess i'm just corny/Canadian.

Cornadian???

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    respect, love, loyalty, gratitude and patriotism are now the dominion of the English language!

Cornadian???

Thank You for that!!

• respect, love, loyalty, gratitude and patriotism are now the dominion of the English language!

Cornadian???

Thank You for that!!

I gotta million of 'em!!!

• [eye-rolling sarcasm]Your genuine concern is heartwarming.[/eye-rolling sarcasm]

[irony][sarcasm]the sarcasm tag is so original[/sarcasm][/irony]

If you do not understand the importance of a strong national identity in ensuring social harmony, let alone the obvious practical benefits of speaking the language of the country in which you reside, then I havent got anything more to say to you.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I thought the National Anthem was already in Spanish...

Doesn't it start off... "Jose can you see"??

[eye-rolling sarcasm]Your genuine concern is heartwarming.[/eye-rolling sarcasm]

If you do not understand the importance of a strong national identity in ensuring social harmony, let alone the obvious practical benefits of speaking the language of the country in which you reside, then I havent got anything more to say to you.

really, you mean there are practical benefits to learning to speak english....hmmm.

a strong national identity?? we are a country filled with immigrants. you can be patriotic and a valuable member of society without reciting the national anthem...in english.

bush needs to .

• [eye-rolling sarcasm]Your genuine concern is heartwarming.[/eye-rolling sarcasm]

Sabadaba alias?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i just think that on a list of priorities, it ranks somewhere between eating a philly cheesesteak and ice skating in roc-a-fella center. bush is an ass for making those remarks, bottom line.

^^^
    yessir

and since when did English become the official language of America???

de facto perhaps, but not official

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Sabadaba alias?