Vestax Vinyl Recorder

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• I want it the other way, ie, a turntable that can burn a CD of the entire record (flip it) and automatically put in all the track numbers.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    what the fuck is that thing?! It looks like shit.
    How much is it though?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Thanx hommie. I'll Fed Ex your late pass to Austin, TX.

Unless they lowered the price, this was going to retail for $4-5,000. This would have been CRAZY to have about 10 years ago for doing your own one off dub plates and battle records, but in 2005? I would just burn anything I need to CD and cut it up on CDJs or use Seratto or Final scratch. Does ANYONE have one of these? Maybe Vestax gave Qbert one? Whatever you burned will wear out FAST every time you play it. I thought someone told me that you can only play the joints you "Record" onto vinyl about 30 times and then they are finished. Can anyone confirm this.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I have seen em for $10,000.

Yeah I would love to have it now. Im not feelin those cdj's. I just dont like the feel.

I would lvoe this.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    you should be able to play a dubplate indefinatly if you have your needles settup light and you dont scratch.. if yer doing either than yeah they burn out fast.

• Options
    indefinitely

??????. That's a while.

Finite, K.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    At the Vestax store here in Japan, you can rock up with a CD and they will press it on vinyl for you, I think it's a same day turnaround too!

I think the cost was something like $60? I fucked around with the vinyl and it cut ok, felt a little weird, but you could cut it and it didn't skip.. the sound quality was decent...

peace.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    At the Vestax store here in Japan, you can rock up with a CD and they will press it on vinyl for you, I think it's a same day turnaround too!

I think the cost was something like $60? I fucked around with the vinyl and it cut ok, felt a little weird, but you could cut it and it didn't skip.. the sound quality was decent...

peace.

some enterprising storefront needs to hook this up in NYC...even at the price of $10K for the machine, you've just about made your money back at 300 dubs ($50/pop)--taking the cost of blanks and maintenance into account.

The "story" was that these machines worked better than dubplate pressers, and the vinyl was supposed to last as long as "regular" vinyl. not that i believe them, but that was the claim.

but yeah, as someone said earlier in this thread, this is a product that was brought to market about 10 years too late.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The idea of paying $50 for a dubplate that loses all low end after 30 plays is tough. But I would pay $50 for a cut record that doesn't, no problem.

• Options
    ahhhhh, that's never happened to this

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Jesus Christ...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Jesus Christ Holy Emmanuel I Selassie I Jah Rastafari

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I want it the other way, ie, a turntable that can burn a CD of the entire record (flip it) and automatically put in all the track numbers.

I saw one in a newspaper last week. It doesn't automatically index, but it looks like an old phonograph, and the CD burner is built into it.

• speshboogiespeshboogie 105 Posts
    I researched & shopped for *real* a vinyl/record cutting lathe (Scully, neumann, Westrex, etc..) early last year & was seriously contemplating investing in one to offer a record cutting service/business. It is by far not a CHEAP venture.

After a while I determined it would simply be too expensive & the maintenance involved was more than I cared to get sucked into at the time.
    (I already maintain enough of my own analog gear).
    Plus I'm not trying to have the pressurized helium (or is it oxygen) tanks (some required for cooling the cutting heads) up in my house.

I checked out the Vestax joint & while it looks like a dream come true, it sounded like shit from the demo disk I recieved.
    Yeah you can use the vinyl & EQ it up to play quality, but the audio left much to be desired & the cost of blanks is retardedly steep.
    So much so that you'd have to charge a grip to make a decent profit.
    It'd still actually be cheaper to go with the established Pros like R.Simpson, Custom Records, etc... And you'll get a much better sounding record.

Not to mention with so many people going the Serato/Final Scratch or CD-J route, dubplates/acetates are gonna be less of a hot item.
    I've spent plenty myself on Acetates & I am actually seriously thinking bout going the Serato route now.

I'd suggest if you want to get your own record cutter, check out the Kingston DubPlate cutter.
    Still *not* at all cheap, but it's engineered extremely well & actually cuts excellent sounding disks - mounts on a standard Technics 1200.
    And the blanks are still available in bulk - so you could make your scrilla back.
    There are a couple others that are also in that range.

But unless your somewhat savvy with electronics, audio, etc... and don't mind the maintenance involved, don't bother.