BIKESTRUT

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i am going to look at a vintage raleigh 3-speed bike after work today for $50. but my problem is that i know almost nothing about what makes a good bike. do you guys have an opinion on 3-speed bikes? i want something pratical, light and skinny that i can carry up stairs, not a mountain bike or anything rugged. i am going to use it on city streets. do you guys have any recommendations if this bike is a piece of crap?the thing is, i don't want a bike that is too nice cause then someone is going to steal it. especially in my neighborhood.the other bike i have is a fixed-speed vintage folding bike which is really impractical

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    IMG SRC="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/drewn/Fila_Bike.jpg" width=500>

That's right...FILA, batches! Thanks to tripledouble who hooked me up a few months back, I now have a bike to take around the city. (I still owe you BIG, hommie!) I can't believe I went this long without one here, but am greatly appreciative of it now. May be doing a couple little upgrades in the coming weeks...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ive only ever HAD a 3-speed, and it treats me right.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

are they hard to maintain and/or repair?

i didn't know fila made bikes

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

are they hard to maintain and/or repair?

i didn't know fila made bikes

ive never had to repair it, or had any problems, and given the fact that theres less gears, im guessing it would be easier to maintain than a 9-18 speed?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    how about a bamboo bike?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    suppie ms. damn!

i just bought a 20" gt mach one bmx bike. needs some repairs and the chrome needs to be cleaned and polished, but im all happy i got a bike now WEEEEEEEEEE!

as far as 3 speed mamachari's go, i mean, with the vintage bikes its really about a look. practical? sure, itll get you from your house to another part of the city and the 3 speed should be fine for the hills. my only concern with the old bikes are the brakes. get them checked plaese. these old bikes usually run caliper brakes and those are kinda shitty brakes especially when riding steep hills. so check them thoroughly. straight off id replace the brake pads. check your rear hub and make sure the hubs are clean and in decent shape. look for bent gear hubs and cranks as this will fuck up your gears when you shift. oh, shift all your gears, your paying for 3 of them so they might as well work. if something dont seem right that's a rear hub, chain, and crankset you may need to replace.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i had a vintage schwinn style 3 speed for years and finally just recently got a used 80s schwinn hybrid with 18 gears i think and it's soooooo much better. 3 speeds look cool but they are super heavy and just aren't very practical if you live anywhere that's not completely flat. i'd say get something a bit more modern...take advantage of the 80s technology!

suppie ms. damn!

as far as 3 speed mamachari's go, i mean, with the vintage bikes its really about a look. practical? sure, itll get you from your house to another part of the city and the 3 speed should be fine for the hills. my only concern with the old bikes are the brakes. get them checked plaese. these old bikes usually run caliper brakes and those are kinda shitty brakes especially when riding steep hills. so check them thoroughly. straight off id replace the brake pads. check your rear hub and make sure the hubs are clean and in decent shape. look for bent gear hubs and cranks as this will fuck up your gears when you shift. oh, shift all your gears, your paying for 3 of them so they might as well work. if something dont seem right that's a rear hub, chain, and crankset you may need to replace.

hi shig! thanks for the great advice. so a 3-speed is manageable for the inclines in sf? the reason why i would consider this bike in the first place is that it's only $50, but the old look and fenders don't hurt either.

i had a vintage schwinn style 3 speed for years and finally just recently got a used 80s schwinn hybrid with 18 gears i think and it's soooooo much better. 3 speeds look cool but they are super heavy and just aren't very practical if you live anywhere that's not completely flat. i'd say get something a bit more modern...take advantage of the 80s technology!

i thought that the more gears you have the heavier the bike? thanks for suggesting an alternative. i don't want to try to lug a heavy bike up my stairs. my arms is like putty

yeah, the weight on that vintage bike might be troublesome. the reason why the 18 gear bikes weigh less is that they use alloy metals like beer cans or some other light metal to build the bike. but personally i would suffer for my hipness and go with the oldies. plus youll get balco fit, holmes!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

i thought that the more gears you have the heavier the bike? thanks for suggesting an alternative. i don't want to try to lug a heavy bike up my stairs. my arms is like putty

nah, the weight of the actual gears themselves is nothing, like a few ounces... it's that, for the most part, 3 speed bikes are from the 70's or older (or are beach cruisers or something, which aren't light), and thus made with heavier frames... if you cop a cheap used bike from the 90's, your arms will thank you when you carry it (as will your legs on hills...)

what the fuck good is a "vintage" bike?
    records are 1 thing, but buying old shitty bikes just cuz their vintage is a gigantic L

did you read the thraed asshat? i said it was because it was cheap.

the fuck is your problem?

speaking of a "gigantic L" and

let's find out where this bitch lives & run up in her house when shes at a gig...

see this is why you are a douche

• Options
    Think someone has some girl issues. Not me, I love my girl

200K a week, K in Canada.

nah, the weight of the actual gears themselves is nothing, like a few ounces... it's that, for the most part, 3 speed bikes are from the 70's or older (or are beach cruisers or something, which aren't light), and thus made with heavier frames... if you cop a cheap used bike from the 90's, your arms will thank you when you carry it (as will your legs on hills...)

ok thank you. i did not know that. i will start perusing later used bikes on craigslist.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    what the fuck good is a "vintage" bike?
    records are 1 thing, but buying old shitty bikes just cuz their vintage is a gigantic L
    um...as far as the intersection of function, affordability and style goes you can't really beat 70s and 80s racing frames, particularly if you don't wan't something garish. even comsumer models can be great.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    vintage bikes are dope because they can be very stylish and functional depending on your needs. if you do go vintage, buy a schwinn...their 3 speeds are the best...and their spring seats are very comfy. schwinn knock-offs just don't cut it...you start off with 3 speeds but then they start to go bad and get stuck in one gear...usually a high gear...not a good look on an incline!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ask to try it out. Ride it up hills if there are any in the neighborhood, check the breaks on the downhill, and pick it up (thinking about doing it on the daily). I agree that new bikes are usually lighter but for that price you probably wouldn't find anything super light. I've never found three speed hubs to be anymore dependible then derailer type bikes (10 or more speeds) and I would think that it would still be pretty hard to ride the streets of sf on a three speed.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    vintage bikes are dope because they can be very stylish and functional depending on your needs. if you do go vintage, buy a schwinn...their 3 speeds are the best...and their spring seats are very comfy. schwinn knock-offs just don't cut it...you start off with 3 speeds but then they start to go bad and get stuck in one gear...usually a high gear...not a good look on an incline!

i'd go with a peugeot, which are affordable and readily available. one particular model (the U-08 i think?) sold very well in the 70s and as a result they are everywhere.

just keep your craigslist eyes peeled

• For $50, it should ride well and stop well. Lift up the f & r wheels and give each a spin - make sure they're not super tweaked and rubbing against the brakes pads. Does it shift ok? Track straight? Weird rubbing or clanking noises? Any shop will be able to work on this thing. The 3-speed bikes are not too difficult to figure out and work on . Make sure it's not too big to throw over a shoulder and take up stairs.

If it's comfortable and rides well, pick it up. It's not like the steal of the century or anything, but will probably serve you well.

Show the dude $40 and be like 'Oh, that's all I have with me, will this be ok?' and he'll probably jump at it.

• Think someone has some girl issues. Not me, I love my girl

200K a week, K in Canada.

I do about 100 miles/week in the summer...Less if I'm running one/two days a week. Finally brokedown and got an indoor trainer this winter. Made the transition to spring soooooo much better.

Next spring, look for it: new bike find.

• Good advice offered above about brakes, wheels etc. You'll probably need new tyres and inner tubes mind, they could be perished. The chain may be rusted up as well, cleaned and oiled should be sufficent to avoid buying a new one.

I would say go for that vintage bike. It looks less tacky than a 80's/early 90's mountain bike but less attractive to a thief. The weight is a factor and those 3 gears don't give you much range for climbing in SF but there ain't no shame in pushing it up a hill

• A-

I rode a 24-inch BMX bike around SF for about 3 years; it was my only means of transporation, in fact. It only had one gear and I went all over the place. For most of where you'll be riding (read: not Pacific Heights), you can avoid hills. The hills in the Western Addition are really easy to avoid--just take the route known as THE WIGGLE, easily remembered by the following corny story:

There were two friends named Page and Scott. Page wanted to get a nose ring (no, his last name was not Rillz) and he wanted Scott to go with him, but Scott was deathly afraid of needles. But, out of friendship, they went to Waller's Piercing Salon and Page got his nose ring. When Scott saw the procedure, he fainted. So remember:

Waller pierced Page and Scott fell. [Waller to Pierce to Page to Scott to Fell--no hills.]

A groaner, to be sure, but I never forgot it. I rode my one-gear bike on that route several hundred times with no trouble.

Good luck!

- R

• I rode a 3-speed Raleigh for years when I lived in Santa Cruz. Definitely my favorite bike ever. It had a "suicide shifter" and everything. It was very comfortable to ride and I even was able to make it up the steep hills to campus on occasion. I eventually had to get a new bike though because it started to fall apart (I think it was almost 40 years old) and finding replacement parts was not easy, even in a bike mecca like Santa Cruz. So I say go for it if it seems to be well taken care of. And by the way, ain't no shame in considering aesthetics when it comes to selecting your bike. Sure it should be practical, but nothing wrong with getting something that's also pleasing to your sensibilities as well.

• Waller pierced Page and Scott fell.

AY YO!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Ms Damn,

Please to read the messege I sent you via Myspace. DO NOT buy a Peugeot, no matter how cheap. Contact me w/ questions. Fitty for the hoopdee in the pic is a fine deal.

lil' Nicky Lazer

• the wiggle is also basically the hipster autobahn here in SF

• the wiggle is also basically the hipster autobahn here in SF

LOL!

B/W

I see you in the fixed gear lane.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    the wiggle is also basically the hipster autobahn here in SF

LOL!

B/W

There you go A*****, go fixed like Ross and P.Ro.

No unnesesscary parts.

• andyhoopsandyhoops 154 Posts
    garage sales are the best for finding city/budget racing bikes.

ive picked up a really nice peaugeot and a super nice miyata one hundred for under $40! DEALS!! they my babies.

the wiggle is also basically the hipster[/b] autobahn here in SF

LOL!

B/W

why you guys always have to turn this into a RACE thing. get it? race? fixed gears? ok. i go download pro's mix now.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Once you go Italian, you never go back [/b]

Personally, I hate multiple gears - probably a result of
    all my years on BMX, but I can only ride road bikes with
    fixed gears or freewheels, single speed.
    I realize this may not be ideal for you in SF, Au***y -
    but the stripped-down lightweight aspect of a single gear
    road/track bike compensates somewhat for the inability to
    go into lower gears on hills - I used to live on a huge hill
    and had to ride up it every night...at first it was impossible,
    but after a few weeks it became second nature. My bike weighs
    about as much as a skateboard, and you really appreciate that
    aspect while riding, believe me.
    I love not having to deal with deraileurs and gear shifters
    and all that junk. Just 2 wheels, a chain, pedals and a crank.
    I believe God wanted it this way