Isn't someone on here a librarian?

mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
My memory might be fooling me, but I could swear I remember someone on here said they work as a librarian.I'm trying to figure out if a Master's Library Sciences degree is worth taking over a college library/information technician diploma.I hope I'm right about there being a librarian on the board!Thanks,Peter

Comments

• both Bambouche and 3rdstream are librarians, if they don't pipe up I'd recommend PMing them

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• Oh shit! I just started my first semester getting a Masters in Library and Information Science Degree from San Jose State. So yeah I wish I had a good answer for you but I'm still kinda learning the ropes in this industry myself. From my understanding the pay is a lot better if you have that masters, but I don't know if that will apply to every situation. The tuition is cheap at SJSU so I'm almost looking at it as a business move more than anything else.

It's also my understanding since that there are so few schools offering a MLIS (only like 50 something in the country) that almost all of them are set up for people not necessarily living in that area. Lots of internet classes available if you want to keep your day job but still take a class or two. What kind of education you'll get from these kinds of classes is up for debate (at least at SJSU it is), but it seems like that piece of paper is certainly important if you ever want to advance up the ladder.

Who else is a librarian on here? I could use all the schooling I can get at this point as well.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

why does this picture turn me on?

why does this picture turn me on?

I really wish this was an accurate represention of the modern librarian (like 75% female!), but unfortunately most people in my classes look more like this.

Nice folks. No hotties.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You know what's crazy? Schoolteachers.
    I could swear when I was a kid almost all
    my teachers were old ladies...or did they just
    seem like old ladies because I was so young?
    Because I've had to deal with a few grade schools through
    my job, and the staffs are like 85% 24-32 year old cute
    and stylish women! I'm like "damn! where was all these
    hotties when I was clappin' erasers??"

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Bambouche?

Bam has mastered the Dewey Decible System.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm also in an MLS program, at Simmons College in Boston. From my limited understanding (I'm in my first semester), an MLS is pretty much essential if you want to go beyond a certain level. For instance, you can work at the circulation desk of a major library without an MLS, but it would be a lot tougher to score a job as a reference librarian, and even more difficult to find an administrative job.

That said, I may very well avoid the library scene altogether. I'm in an Archives program, which is where the dust is! But working with people's 100-year-old letters and journals is amazing... and my goal is to play this into an eventual music archiving gig.

Anyway, the upshot I think is that MLS=good, if you have the time/money/energy...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    clappin' erasers
    clappin' erasers
    clappin' erasers
    clappin' erasers
    clappin' erasers

• count me in. got my MLS, been in the game for years. YEARSSSS!!

cool profession. real crappy masters program and salaries (usually) but it's nice to have a day job that you don't hate, that you can actually feel pretty good about.
    then again i've managed to work strictly in music libraries since about 2000- if that wasn't the case i may not feel as good about it. i'm currently working on my 2nd masters degree so that i can be sure to maintain the subject specialization in the future.
    PM me or reply to the thread if you have questions or wanna chat.
    peace

• kojackkojack 42 Posts
    I'm about halfway through an MLIS, focusing more on the information science side of things than traditional librarianship. Fellow librarians, students, and potential students, feel free to PM me.