new popular music...its getting good again?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
well, since the only place i hear new music anymore is where i work, decided to bring up the only two things ive heard recently that i even remotely like:

Amerie- "One Thing":[/b] finally heard this, that beats pretty cool. dont know what else to say...kinda blew my mind when i heard those drums on the speakers right after some phil collins cover...

Regina Spektor - "Us":[/b] probably not for everybody on here but i really dig this song for some reason. anybody else heard / like this? kinda reminds me of a local act that i always loved, maybe thats it, but i just really like this song, in a weird way.

what else am i missing out on?

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    well, since the only place i hear new music anymore is where i work, decided to bring up the only two things ive heard recently that i even remotely like:

Amerie- "One Thing":[/b] finally heard this, that beats pretty cool. dont know what else to say...kinda blew my mind when i heard those drums on the speakers right after some phil collins cover...

Regina Spektor - "Us":[/b] probably not for everybody on here but i really dig this song for some reason. anybody else heard / like this? kinda reminds me of a local act that i always loved, maybe thats it, but i just really like this song, in a weird way.

you are probably missing out on most of popular music. Theres good and bad, open your ears up. Seems like people hear a meters drum loop and proclaim the return of all quality music.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

you are probably missing out on most of popular music. Theres good and bad, open your ears up. Seems like people hear a meters drum loop and proclaim the return of all quality music.

i didnt mean everything was good now, that was never the case anyway...still, i get hope when i hear beats that actually tickle my fancy on the radio...let alone two songs i actually like on some 1-hour promotional cd on loop at work....

...that's a meters break?

"tickle my fancy"?

whats my deal

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I hate it when popular music tries to make money off the backs of lesser known scenes that they know nothing about though.

They merely use it as a crutch for raking in benjamins.

Not to say that there aren't some genuinely good acts that deserve a place in the pop charts sometimes, who actually respect the scene they are representing, but sometimes there are those who try to jack a style and pretend they are a part of it when they dont give a shit about any of it.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Word,.. the Amerie joint is real nice, raw production, dope vocals... Does anybody know where the drum/percussion break is lifted from... ?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Word,.. the Amerie joint is real nice, raw production, dope vocals... Does anybody know where the drum/percussion break is lifted from... ?

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=293107&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

i Just got done saying this. sort of proves my point though.

I hate it when popular music tries to make money off the backs of lesser known scenes that they know nothing about though.

They merely use it as a crutch for raking in benjamins.

Not to say that there aren't some genuinely good acts that deserve a place in the pop charts sometimes, who actually respect the scene they are representing, but sometimes there are those who try to jack a style and pretend they are a part of it when they dont give a shit about any of it.

man, ....this would be such a fun argument........

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

never heard of this so I just checked a snippet, is the track drumless ? I recognize the pianopart from a breaktape, is it a sample ?

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts

This blew me away aswell!
    Sounds a bit like the salt drums don't it?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

This blew me away aswell!
    Sounds a bit like the salt drums don't it?

If you people are just now hearing Amerie's "One Thing" then you are in no position to be saying anything about popular music because it's obvious that you don't listen to this so called "new popular music." Which isn't a diss. I'm just saying, this song has been big for a whiiiiiile now. If you're just now catching it, it's blatantly obvious you don't listen to pop shit.

Popular hip-hop music is as healthy as it's ever been... especially with respect to production.

-e

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Probably didn't reach Denmark till a month ago...
    Anyway, when was it out? Last year?

J

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I'm still enjoying the Scissor Sisters "Comfortably Numb". And the Daft Punk "Robot Radio Guitar thing-a-ma-bob track".

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Probably didn't reach Denmark till a month ago...
    Anyway, when was it out? Last year?

J

I didn't realize you were in Denmark. You get an excuse for your late-pass. Cosmo put me on to this record I think back in December. January at the latest but I'm pretty sure it was december. It probably got hot in late February or early March.

-e

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yeah, I gotta say if you think good music is dead, you haven't been really paying attention. You might not agree with my choices, but I've bought more new music (rap, r'n'b, AND rock) lately than I have in a LONG time, and have really enjoyed it.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Recent major label albums that have been worth my money
    The Bravery: S/T
    Beanie Sigel: THE B.COMING
    Franz Ferdinand: S/T
    The Killers: HOT FUSS
    Fannypack: SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY
    The Blue Van: THE ART OF ROLLING
    Mike Jones: WHO IS MIKE JONES?
    Snoop Dogg: R&G
    Kelis: TASTY (kinda old I know)
    LCD Soundsystem: S/T

Recent major label singles that have been worth my money
    Amerie: "1 Thing"
    Faith Evans: "Again"
    Common: "The Corner"
    J. Lo feat. Fabolous: "Get Right"
    Fat Joe: "So Much More"/"Safe To Say"
    Missy: "Lose Control"
    Kanye: "Diamonds"
    Mike Jones: "Back Then"
    Mashonda: "Back of the Club"
    Keyshia Cole: "I Just Want It To Be Over"

Recent major label albums that I'm looking forward to purchasing
    Faith Evans: THE FIRST LADY
    Nick Cave: ABBATOIR BLUES
    Bloc Party: s/t (maybe... maybe not)
    Ciara: GOODIES

And just so you don't get it twisted

Recent indie label albums that have been worth my money
    Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings: NATURALLY
    Edan: BEAUTY & THE BEAT
    Joe Bataan: CALL MY NAME
    Out Hud: LET US NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN
    Miss Kitten: I COM
    Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra: VOL. 1
    Various: FUNK CARIOCA
    Fiery Furnaces: EP

Recent indie label singles that have been worth my money
    Grayboy feat. Sharon Jones: " Got To Be A Love"
    Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings: "Just Checked In"
    !!!: "Is This Thing On?" (or something like that)

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    that Bloc Party ish is worth the money, solid listen all the way thru and a few songs you could drop at a party. i actully got the EP first

it's the type of album that i want to dislike cause it's an overhyped kind of a combination of every popular trend in new-retro-rock from the past 4 years. combined with really aingsty vocals that remind you of being in middle school, but it's all done really well.

you might wanna cop the EP too just for the Phones Disco Edit of "banquet" You can download that ish from their site: http://www.blocparty.com/downloads/mp3/bloc_party--banquet_(phones_disco_edit).mp3 .

just forget about the hype and enjoy the album

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Amerie- "One Thing": finally heard this, that beats pretty cool.

do you live in a cave?!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

do you live in a cave?!

to stick up for ako for a minute, yes, iowa is one big cave, for those that have never been there.

and to cosign with marco, i haven't bought this much 'new' music in a long time. lots of goodies being released this year and last. my 12" collection has been growing quite a bit.

• that Bloc Party ish is worth the money, solid listen all the way thru and a few songs you could drop at a party. i actully got the EP first

it's the type of album that i want to dislike cause it's an overhyped kind of a combination of every popular trend in new-retro-rock from the past 4 years. combined with really aingsty vocals that remind you of being in middle school, but it's all done really well.

you might wanna cop the EP too just for the Phones Disco Edit of "banquet" You can download that ish from their site: http://www.blocparty.com/downloads/mp3/bloc_party--banquet_(phones_disco_edit).mp3 .

I dig the rhythm section and the way they tracked the drums, nice and big sounding, and (I'm probably going to catch flack for pointing out that) the lead singer's black, which is cool to see in a mainstream rock group, but overall I found the album pretty ..

I think it's the choruses that kind of turn me off, they just have that obnoxious, overblown "radio-ready" feel

• darendaren 28 Posts
    that Bloc Party ish is worth the money, solid listen all the way thru and a few songs you could drop at a party. i actully got the EP first

I dig the rhythm section and the way they tracked the drums, nice and big sounding, and (I'm probably going to catch flack for pointing out that) the lead singer's black, which is cool to see in a mainstream rock group, but overall I found the album pretty ..

I think it's the choruses that kind of turn me off, they just have that obnoxious, overblown "radio-ready" feel

I agree. The drums are pretty tight, but the rest of the music is pretty much blah. The album is a solid pop album, but I can't see this age well at all, along with The Killers and Franz Ferdinand.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

do you live in a cave?!

Hey relax???not everyone in here is glued to the radio, MTV or might not even be living in America (I fit into all of those categories). Records that you have heard to death for several months in the U.S. usually get a much later release in Europe.

Big up the danish massive and all cavemen

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I can't see this age well at all, along with The Killers and Franz Ferdinand.

I agree that those bands have a definite 80s retro sound that will be seen in ten years as some sort of clich??d "2005 sound" that VH1 will have a field day poking fun at.

BUT

What type of music HAS aged well? Very little IMO. It seems that permanent rotation on classic rock radio is the only way for a song/band to escape being tagged "out of style" or "oldschool" after 5-10 years. Familiarity and repetition keep it fresh in our ears. Keep in mind, I'm speaking as someone whose favorite period of music was 1967-1973. To me, music of that era almost always sounds fresh and "now." But when I play some 1970 track for someone without the same frame of reference, all they can say is "that's old music." The 60s-70s sounds we play at our funk club gigs sound perfectly great to us and our regular attendees, but I'm sure they sound creaky and antiquated to the Shoreditch twats in our area who'd rather hear something current.

The good thing is that almost every musical stylism of the past is due for a fresh revisiting after 10-20 years. Seriously, if you were listening to A Certain Ratio in the early 90s you would have been laughed out the door for listening to such twee English pop by any number of your friends. Even your music critic friends. Fast forward to 2002 and ACR are suddenly seen as cutting edge postpunk funk groundbreakers who were well ahead of their time.

That was quite a tangent, I realize. But I just wanted to point out that this ongoing cycle of shifts of taste and acceptance over time (and place) makes the phrase "this won't age well" a rather useless comment when trying to evaluate music. In my opinion.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I like that new song by Memphis Bleek, "Like That..." It may just be me, but it sounds reminiscent of his quasi-feminist anthem "Do My (Ladies Run It/Fat Asses and Flat Stomachs)."

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    new shit I like:

The new Queens of the Stone Age

Beanie Siegel - B. Coming

Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

Beck - Guero

lots of rap singles too.

• new shit I like:

The new Queens of the Stone Age
    Beanie Siegel - B. Coming
    Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
    Beck - Guero

lots of rap singles too.

i finally copped a boot of the beanie..and ive never really been that big of a fan of dude..but there is some dope cuts on there. Its in my cd player right now actually. and I can definately fuck withthat Mars Volta. I love to see people rip them apart for being corny,sell outs,wack and all that. Whats that Queens/Stone Age sound like? I like the older shit ive heard.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the radio is on fire right now. you almost wouldnt need cds if it werent for commercials. me and sweendog definitely heard cosmo play that amerie joint in december.

ako, if you like the amerie track, check other beats by rich harrison... usher - "caught up" is my joint.