Amsterdam shops.

RonanRonan 86 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i never seem to find a decent 2nd hand store in the dam.all i find is a bunch of euro house etc. i'm headin over in a few weeks and wanna dig deep somewherebut i gotta know where to go 1st coz locals dont seem to kno and i can last about 10 mins walkin bout that town without hittin a cafe and not movin for a coupla days.

Comments

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Hey Ronan,
    Try to find a store called Kids love Wax. It's very close to "De Dam" (the square). Very nice stuff in there usually but you have to be willing to shell out some cash for rare titles. I always manage to find something there for a good price though.
    Also Concerto is a good one that's worth paying a visit. It's located on the Utrechtsestraat.
    Then there is Recordpalaca, it's opposit of the club Paradiso...you can't miss it.

I'm sure there are more interesting shops although I have to say that for a city like Amsterdam it's still kind of dissapointing.
    There should be a list on the internet somewhere and also there was a thread on amsterdam stores on Vynilvulture a while ago.....http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3613

good luck!!

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    there you go

• SoulificSoulific 103 Posts
    Make sure to visit the "department of viny affairs". A very nice shop run buy guys from gb i guess. They use to have a very good selection of disco and modern soul records. some funk, hiphop and jazz aswell at reasonable prices.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Make sure to visit the "department of viny affairs". A very nice shop run buy guys from gb i guess. They use to have a very good selection of disco and modern soul records. some funk, hiphop and jazz aswell at reasonable prices.

this doenst exist anymore.
    It was renamed Kids Love wax, and then renamed again , its now called 'Waxwell'.
    good shop, but somewhat pricey.

• yea "somewhat pricey" like everything in ADam lol...try the big fleamarkets on saturdays...

• buying records on ebay including transatlantic airmail is cheaper for me than buying in dutch shops, especially when we're talking about cratedigging boutiques like kidslovewax...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hi. yes, thanks to the Euro Amsterdam is expensive, do not expect to find bargains of any kind (RR or not) but it is also an absolutly amazing city RR and otherwise, although record stores are dwindleing.
    Now im assuming you are an American so get ready for a shock when you see the prices on said pieces of wax (especially since now the greenback is worth less than the almighty euro, welcome to my world, try travelling with kiwi dollars)

Anyway, i had to respond to the Department of vinyl affairs/kids love wax/waxwell comments.

During the kids love wax period i was not a customer as the prices seemed to escalate along with the staff icegrill quota.

i am happy to say that those days are over.(pricey boutique indeed)

They currently have a SICK sale section, and prices are fair. Lee knows his stuff, records are priced accordingly. and there are certainly bargains to be had.

Now im not trying to advertise the store or anything, i just think that the reputation they have is due to EX staff members and now they have cleaned house they are back on point.

As far as other stores in the dam, there are a few good ones still, Record Mania: Ferdinand Bolstraat, Distortion records: Westerstaraat, Mevious and italiaander: Overtoom, Record palace: Weteringscans, sound of the fifties: Prinsengracht, and Fatbeats. (waxwell is located at gasthuismolensteeg 6 just behind the Magna plaza across the bridge)

Every Friday there is a book market on the little square in the center of town called 'Spui' get there early to scoop the records, there is also the big market on 'Waterlooplein' (closed Sundays) where you can occasionally score, but like i said, bargains are few and far between.

If I can get a babysitter id be more than happy to show you around, drop me a PM if you want a guide. (That offer is open to all strutters by the way).

Ok, enjoy Amsterdam, watch out for cyclists and white widow, and remember: you only need to know 3 words in Dutch: Dank-je-wel (thank you dunk-ye-well) Lekker (tasty) and Doeiii! (see ya).

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    nice one boys,
    appreciate the thourough replies,those shops all sound decent. i think i might have finally found a good forum.
    i'm irish (nzshadow assumed i was american.) so i'm used overpriced records.
    where's that fleamarket someone mentioned? dam square?

nice one boys,
    appreciate the thourough replies,those shops all sound decent. i think i might have finally found a good forum.
    i'm irish (nzshadow assumed i was american.) so i'm used overpriced records.
    where's that fleamarket someone mentioned? dam square?

Every Friday there is a book market on the little square in the center of town called 'Spui' get there early to scoop the records, there is also the big market on 'Waterlooplein' (closed Sundays) where you can occasionally score, but like i said, bargains are few and far between.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I enjoyed looking through the large cabinets of 45s at a record store somewhat near the Heineken museum (is this Record Mania?). It was fairly reasonable, and I was happy with what I got.

I enjoyed looking through the large cabinets of 45s at a record store somewhat near the Heineken museum (is this Record Mania?). It was fairly reasonable, and I was happy with what I got.

yes, thats Record Mania. cool little store but the 'not for sale' signs on the records on the wall piss me off. good reggae and international sections.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Man, I guess I just got lucky but when I was in Amsterdam it seemed like I couldn't not find dope records everywhere, and for not too much dough. And hit the fleas on Sat. morning. Came back with some dope finds. It was fuckin heaven, kush and records, what more do you need?

Man, I guess I just got lucky but when I was in Amsterdam it seemed like I couldn't not find dope records everywhere, and for not too much dough. And hit the fleas on Sat. morning. Came back with some dope finds. It was fuckin heaven, kush and records, what more do you need?

motherfucker! so it was you that took all the good cheap records...

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    The fleas are definitely what's really good.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    The fleas are definitely what's really good.

i know u can never know but wot sorta old shit pops up in the dam. much funk? or mostly euro proggy psych and the likes? . i'm new enuf to this shit, but was kinda hopin to score some afro type shit (i hear paris is da spot) hard raw funk moreso than library type sounds,

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    "i know u never know". wot type of paradoxical bullshit am i talkin???????

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I found this one to be the best, the owner is cool to deal with. Lots of world music, dollar bins, afro, hiphop, funk, etc.

MOST WANTED latin music
    www.mostwanted-online.nl
    Haarlemmerdijk 180
    1013 JK
    Amsterdam

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Hey, if any Amsterdam dudes are reading this......

I met a cool French cat in A-dam a year or so ago, at Concerto. We went to the fleas, and hit some smoke shops. I lost contact with the dude the next day, and meant to get back up with him. Any idears? I recall he was living in a squat at the time. Perhaps he's here on the board????