NY Times: Gangsta Gumbo? N.O. Hip Hop

idiotproofidiotproof 880 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Decent article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/arts/music/23sann.htmlIs this a fair statement?"Hip-hop was long considered unfit for polite society. And yet the extraordinary snubbing of New Orleans hip-hop comes at a time when the genre is gaining institutional validation."I thought it was all about Southern rap these days? Who's snubbing N.O hip hop if the South is apparently the sound of today...other Southern States? Is that what the writer means?I didn't know that Master P was on your 'Dancing with the Stars' TV show. Hilarious...Is it really called Gangsta Gumbo?

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the point of the article seemed to be that Juvenile & Mannie Fresh should have been invited to appear on a Katrina relief CD with Touissaint & them???

like that's gonna happen.

I guess actually selling records isn't good enough, these rappers deserve institutional recognition or something.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For what it's worth, Juvenile is on the bill as a headliner at Jazz Fest.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Decent article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/arts/music/23sann.html

Is this a fair statement?

"Hip-hop was long considered unfit for polite society. And yet the extraordinary snubbing of New Orleans hip-hop comes at a time when the genre is gaining institutional validation."

I thought it was all about Southern rap these days? Who's snubbing N.O hip hop if the South is apparently the sound of today...other Southern States? Is that what the writer means?

I think dude meant hip-hop in general, not NO hip-hop specifically.

I blame gnarls barkely, personally.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Decent article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/arts/music/23sann.html

"Hip-hop was long considered unfit for polite society. And yet the extraordinary snubbing of New Orleans hip-hop comes at a time when the genre is gaining institutional validation."

I thought it was all about Southern rap these days? Who's snubbing N.O hip hop if the South is apparently the sound of today...other Southern States? Is that what the writer means?

He's talking about institutional validation, not sales... the fact that this country's cultural gatekeepers are generally unwilling to recognize great Black music until several decades after it was recorded.

Is it really called Gangsta Gumbo?

Of course not. That's just somebody at the NYT--and probably not Kelefa--trying and failing to be cute.

That's 2 threads this year from Idiotproof expressing some "interest" in southern rap.

world ending?

• Hey, I'm seriously trying to understand it, instead of dismissing it...
    Maybe if I learn about the people involved I wouldn't be so judgemental.

But like Phil said, I still love my breaks...

Hey, I'm seriously trying to understand it, instead of dismissing it...
    Maybe if I learn about the people involved I wouldn't be so judgemental.

But like Phil said, I still love my breaks...

I can respect that.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This was an interesting article - I just read it this morning and I thought it was one of the more polemical pieces K has done (and to me, this is a good thing).

What K is saying is that NO rap is not seen as part of the city's heritage worth celebrating - at least not by the institutions tasked with celebrating NO's musical heritage. I know to many, this won't seem so important - who gives a fuck about a Grammy/Smithsonian/etc.? - and as even K notes: some of these dudes are getting well enough so clearly, someone values them.

I think it's a point worth debating: does hip-hop need institutional validation? If not now, for the long term? What does that validation mean? What strings does it come with? What benefits?

As for the "Gangsta Gumbo" line: people need to actually read the article. It comes from a Lil Weezy song that K mentions, quite prominently, in his piece.

Oliver

I didn't know that Master P was on your 'Dancing with the Stars' TV show. Hilarious...

Is it really called Gangsta Gumbo?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Institutional validation is usually mad late anyways.

But i do feel like after all these news stories about N.O.'s arts and culture being displaced by the storm. they should have made some mention of rap.

Most hip hop fans of any substantial intellect understand that New Orleans is a vital part of the culture.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I think it's a point worth debating: does hip-hop need institutional validation? If not now, for the long term? What does that validation mean? What strings does it come with? What benefits?

Of course it doesn't. But that's not a reason to excuse institutional irrelevance or racism.