Pato Banton & Half Pint last night

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
went to see these two last night here in tucson. it was advertised by the local 12 tribes reggae shop as a "reggae festival", and they said there would be things from 2 pm until 2 am. holy shit was that false advertising. went there at like 4:30, and there wasn't shit going on. left, came back at 6, and there was a dude playing some records. finally, at 7 or so, this really shitty high school band that sounded like 311 played FOREVER. had to leave to get beer. then another shitty high school band played. instrumentally, they were fine, but the singer sounded like a huge pile of shit.finally, around 8:30 or 9, a band came on that could actually play. the vocals were too low, but the singer, who was a big hawaiian guy, really could sing pretty well. good players too. but after they were done i couldn't sit around and wait for the real shit so i left and came back.so finally, i come back and pato banton is on. by the way, the most number of people that were there at any one time were maybe 120 or so. so when the real act were on the stage, it was easy to have a spot any where you want. pato was awesome. excellent crowd interaction, great chemistry with the band (which was also the band for half pint). when he did "i don't sniff the coke" he saw some kid right at the stage who apparently knew all the words. so pato gets him on stage and get the kids to sing all the lyrics with him, and it was fucking sweet. made that kids month i bet. then half pint came on and opened with "greetings", and had a really good vibe. but he wasn't in tune with the small audience as much as pato was, so i wasn't feeling the performance as much.overall, starting at 10:30 or 11, it was a good show. i'm kinda pissed the way the shit was advertised and how there wasn't shit there until late, but oh well. apparently this place has fish fry nights on fridays with djs, so maybe i'll check that shit out. especially since the only reggae night in town that i knew of is gone.