Anyone from Dublin?

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I'll be in Dublin and Maynooth for a few weeks starting at the end of June. Going there to do work, but I'm expecting to have plenty of free time.Never been to Dublin, so I have no idea what's what in terms of record stores, clubs, pubs, soul nights, restaurants, and what not. So, anyone know what's good get at me.

Comments

• I went there at the start of this year for job interviews. Its a nice place man.

As for record shops try:

http://www.all-cityrecords.com/

run by a guy called Olan, he's a nice chap but its very small so limited on stock I suppose, but def some good thangs in there, he sells on ebay too. Theres a few record shops around his shop and the "temple bar" area.

Don't ask the locals for directions cos they aint got a clue!

Regarding club nights you'll have to check the flyers in the record shops, but you maybe pushed for a "soul night". I dunno I aint no expert.

Whats your job BTW?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I went there at the start of this year for job interviews. Its a nice place man.

As for record shops try:

http://www.all-cityrecords.com/

run by a guy called Olan, he's a nice chap but its very small so limited on stock I suppose, but def some good thangs in there, he sells on ebay too. Theres a few record shops around his shop and the "temple bar" area.

Regarding club nights you'll have to check the flyers in the record shops, but you maybe pushed for a "soul night". I dunno I aint no expert.

thanks for the info, i appreciate it.

Whats your job BTW?

i'm just starting as a math professor. visiting some people in dublin for a research project. just know them through e-mail, though.

• Don't ask the locals for directions cos they aint got a clue!

BTW that goes for anything not just record shops! Theres quite a few streets that aren't listed on the streetmap so finding somethings can be a struggle especially if you're legging it around trying to find places you're having a job interview at

BTW that goes for anything not just record shops! Theres quite a few streets that aren't listed on the streetmap so finding somethings can be a struggle especially if you're legging it around trying to find places you're having a job interview at

that's ok, i used to live in india. getting around any place will likely be easy compared to that.

• I fuckin love Dublin, great place, good food, good drink, good vibes.

Like dude above said, there's a few little record stores tucked down the side streets of temple bar. One good one sold spraypaint and a load of graf stuff, but also had a grip of classic hip-hop vinyl (can't remember offhand what I picked up there, I think is was Nice n Smooth Blunts 12 and MC Troup Get Retarded and a couple of others at pretty nice prices). There's also another store just over the Liffey opposite temple bar, that had mostly new releases, but also a couple boxes of second hand records that's worth a look.

If you like reggae, there's a little shop in Temple Bar underneath a coffee shop called Caf?? Irie, that had all the latest riddims and revive 45s. That caf?? did good bagels too, and played some pretty decent rocksteady to boot.

For eats, if you like Thai Food, you should go to Siam Thai, which is right in the centre, which totally kicks ass - best Thai food I ever had. I've been back there each time I've been to Dublin and it's never let me down.

Last time I visited, we also went baller crazy and splashed out on a meal at Patrick Guilbauds restaurant, which was quite the fine-dining experience. Total French silver service madness, 2 Michelin star rated business. I felt slightly out of place there really, but the food was outstanding.

Touristy stuff I'd recommend would be the obligatory visit to the Guinness brewery, where you get given the best freshest pint of the black stuff that you'll ever drink. I also liked Kilmainham Gaol, which is a disused prison, that'll give you a solid potted history of Irish Republicanism if you're interested in a spot of learning when you're out there. The cells are truly rank and it's hard to believe people ever really got locked up in places like that. Also, they shot the jail scenes from the original Italian Job film here, so that was kind of cool too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not from Dublin but apparently, there is an Oliver Wang out there who hosts a Mandarin-language radio show.

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts
    Re record shops - if it is hip hop soul funk you are looking for All City is the place. Thats on street called Crow St in Temple Bar. Right opposite there are Selectah (electro/techno drum n bass), Big Brother (soul/house/gen new shit),Carbon(Urban Outfitters Record Shop) and City Music (good for electroonica and indie hip hop) . Not far from these are Spindizzy which has a pretty good second hand section and Road Records which has some all around goodness.

Bear in mind second hand trade isn't the best over here. I have come to the conclusion the generation above us here just didn't like music as much as we do now. Very rare to come across a solid soul/funk album, let alone a raer. The odd time you do stumble across some good prog/rock stuff. Most serious heads over here make trips/internet it.

Re nights out, peep www.choicecutsonline.com they run the best game around here with regular nights and some big one off nights too. Otherwise check Monkey Tennis out at Anseo (Camden St).

That should do for now.

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts
    ps check out the video link for local DMC champ Tu-ki on www.choicecutsonline.com

ps check out the video link for local DMC champ Tu-ki on www.choicecutsonline.com

thanks average, DD, j, and, um, ODub...
    taking notes and looking forward to checking out dublin. sounds like a great place.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    you a dub?
    i'm new to this forum, all city regular but this town is a diggers nightmare.
    if u wanna trade/SELL anything pm me.

you a dub?
    i'm new to this forum, all city regular but this town is a diggers nightmare.
    if u wanna trade/SELL anything pm me.

Hey Ronan, check your pm's. I can bring stuff to Dublin to sell/trade. Or if anyone else is interested send me a pm. I'll be in Dublin 28 June - 14 July.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    you a dub?
    this town is a diggers nightmare.

• Not much to add to the above, 'cept Atom Records in Bray - end of the DART line, heading south, about 40mins train ride - sometimes turns up stuff (it's right opposite the station), and Bray has a nice seafront ...