Panache "Sweet Music" Rota OG check

JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Picked this up from Amoeba today. I looked at some pics of the label on the net and the lettering on the Panache logo on my copy seemes different from the reissue. Has this been booted up more than once? Runout reads "R4000 -A" (R4000 -B on the other side) and also "D Charles". Disco heads drop some knowledge, please!

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Picked this up from Amoeba today. I looked at some pics of the label on the net and the lettering on the Panache logo on my copy seemes different from the reissue. Has this been booted up more than once? Runout reads "R4000 -A" (R4000 -B on the other side) and also "D Charles". Disco heads drop some knowledge, please!

If you got an OG of that in SF Amoeba, that is quite a find! (I'm damn jealous...I was just there this afternoon and didn't buy squat!!!)

SG

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Yes, but before we get all excited, I need to know if its the real thing or not

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Doesn't answer your question, but I just checked my Panache "Every Brother Ain't A Brother" and Star Quality & Class "Betcha Gotta Chick on The Side" 12"s on RR records and though they don't have "D Charles" in the runout grooves, they do have the intertwined initials "DC" in there.

As a sidenote, those two 12"s share the same backing track: an early version of the music for GM Flash's "The Message."

Sorry to sidetrack.. maybe I'm just wanting this to be an overall Panache thread!

Thanks for the info Marco. This is starting to feel good, and the fact that I found it nesting beside a perfectly legit copy of Kano's "I'm Ready" is a good sign too. Just waiting for someone to burst my bubble...

I knew about the Message bass line from before, but are Panache and Star Class & Quality related otherwise?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Run off groove reads R4000A, and then the capital letters FW, with an etching of a small piece of fruit. This copy differs from the reissues, which have characters crossed off in the runoff.

popsike is your frond.

Run off groove reads R4000A, and then the capital letters FW, with an etching of a small piece of fruit. This copy differs from the reissues, which have characters crossed off in the runoff.

popsike is your frond.

Yes, I noticed this too, but was a bit confused about what that "characters crossed off" means. The "small piece of fruit" is a bit vague as well. I'd rather hear it from someone here, who actually owns this record.

• Options
    Give me a bit to look for it...

K.

• That's fucking sickness if you really found an OG there. I've never come across any rare 12s at the SF store.

Thanks K. I need to hit the club, but I guess the answer will be here when I get home.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    there was another post about this and i posted a label scan of my og. mine is on a yellow label with black print...if yours is white with green writing i'd be suspicious...that's the reissue...it has a different mix than the one i have. and finding it at amoeba is suspsicious too...it's a nyc record...but you never know!

• Options
    Apparently this is one of the disco 12's my buddy J*mie borrowed to record. Might be a while before I have the pic.

K.

Yeah, its green on white alright. Is the yellow one promo as well, though? I mean, this auction says http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4020890123
    that it is a white label. But, it also says something about "fruit", so I guess this must be some re-issue. Its just the fact that it seems different from the other reissue pics on the the internet, the letters on "Panache" are clearly on different font than the ones on the reissue. What's it say in your runout CPR?

i'm not at home so i can't check that out but do a search for a thread about this very same topic a month or two ago...perhaps my pic is still there.

OK, I checked the search.Apparently we Finnish people have have a chronic problem with this particular record
    Your 12" is on a whole different label(Roche) though CPR. There should be a legit OG of this on the ROTA label with "Sweet Jazz Music" on the B-side. And my country-man did not mention anything about the "C Charles" ething either. What is keeping my hopes up is the fact that the sleeve and the 12" have some patina on them, not much but enough. So I guess, I'll wait for K to drop that knowledge.

OK, here is a pic of the reissue from Dustygroove:

The difference to my copy is clearly visible from how the "C" curves on Panache. In this pic the letters are much more slim, as compared to the wider letters on my copy. So the options are: Either I have and OG, or there are more than one reissues of this.
    Now, which one would it be? I know all this is a bit geeky, but in this case I find it to be justified.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Can you post a pic of yours?

• Options
    The reissue I've seen has text much similar to the OG (and different from the one pictured above). Curved "C' like a "c" made big.

K.

Unfortunately I can't post pics. But I guess K's statement pretty much covers my question of more than one different reissues. Confirmation of the runout would of course be the needed final nail to my coffin.

what about the deep groove...the pic has a deep groove on the label...does the reish?

The pic is from the reissue. Mine is exactly the same except for the font.

• The reissue LPs of this and the Tony Aiken + Future 2000 are both done so astonishingly well, with thick glossy covers, that many people have been fooled.

Does anybody know who did these re's?? They are, cover wise at least, heads and shoulders above the typical Scorpio re LPs.

• Options
    The TOny Aiken I agree with as being exact, but not the Panache Lp reissue I've seen. Looks like the cheap Scorpio garbage.

I always thoughtit was Al** judgin by the taste of music being reissued (adn it's NY-ness).

K.