Shoe Nerds @ Supreme

2»

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Shoes are addictive as hell too. They are way nerdier to collect than records though i feel.

I disagree, we're all nerds, no matter what the collectron.

true. that article was on point also.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cue thanks that's a great article with more than subtle similarities to the record game...

JP,

I was thinking the same thing at first but what would be the "rare" vs. "hard to find" equivalent in the record world? I mean, I think what the MA article was noting is that, these days, "rarity" is being faked simply by artificially producing a low number of shoes, far below what demand would actually be. With the record game, rarity isn't a question of design - except in those cases where MFers find a box of stock 45s, crush 49 and keep 1 - but rather, circumstance.

That said, I think the ways in which people value records as objects and investments - rather than, you know, music - is very similar to any number of items that used to be enjoyed in a direct, physical way and are now the personal equivalent of museum pieces.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Cue thanks that's a great article with more than subtle similarities to the record game...

JP,

I was thinking the same thing at first but what would be the "rare" vs. "hard to find" equivalent in the record world? I mean, I think what the MA article was noting is that, these days, "rarity" is being faked simply by artificially producing a low number of shoes, far below what demand would actually be. With the record game, rarity isn't a question of design - except in those cases where MFers find a box of stock 45s, crush 49 and keep 1 - but rather, circumstance.

That said, I think the ways in which people value records as objects and investments - rather than, you know, music - is very similar to any number of items that used to be enjoyed in a direct, physical way and are now the personal equivalent of museum pieces.

Well, I think there's a great parallel in something J.Yoder was taking about recently, the whole phenomenon of sourcing previously-unknown titles and blowing them up. Some of these are great new discoveries; some of them, however, probably should've been left in the artist's garage. In the quest to find something truly unheard of, we've all taken to grasping for straws in the hopes that we'll discover a new grail. As is the nature of buying in quantity, many of these records were pressed relatively heavily, and in some instances you have dealers or artists sitting on hundreds of copies, hoping no one will leak... thus creating the kind of "rare" vs. "hard to find" dynamic... so for instance, Larry T & The Family isn't "hard to find" by any stretch, though it is somewhat "rare" in sheer pressing numbers. Kool & The Gang "S/T" is far harder to find in sellable/playable condition, although much greater numbers of the record were pressed.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Well, I think there's a great parallel in something J.Yoder was taking about recently, the whole phenomenon of sourcing previously-unknown titles and blowing them up. Some of these are great new discoveries; some of them, however, probably should've been left in the artist's garage. In the quest to find something truly unheard of, we've all taken to grasping for straws in the hopes that we'll discover a new grail.

This is so for real.

Larry T & The Family isn't "hard to find" by any stretch, though it is somewhat "rare" in sheer pressing numbers. Kool & The Gang "S/T" is far harder to find in sellable/playable condition, although much greater numbers of the record were pressed.

Seriously? Like, the Larry T randomly turns up more often than an OG Kool and the Gang? I thought Larry was a pretty regional record though?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    No - Larry T is "rarer" than Kool & The Gang, because it was a limited pressing and didn't make it outside of the Bay Area.

However, because of quantity discovered it is now easier (and sometimes cheaper) to get the record.

Kool & The Gang S/T was pressed in greater quantity and distributed nationally but is much tougher to get *right now* in clean condition because people played it to death, I'm sure distributors/retailers destroyed copies, and it rests in many collections that have not yet opened to the public. It's a well-loved record. Hence, not exactly "rare" but definitely "hard to find".

We're talking in relative terms though, to be sure.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    this thread is pretty ill.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

• CueCue 26 Posts
    Thanks, just trying to contribute. I have a different approach to buying shoes and records. Oh yeah, is it just me or is it weird to hear people say 2 pair, 3 pair when it's plural, even though this is perfectly legal in the English language? Must be an American thing, cause I say 2 pairs, 3 pairs, etc.

Buying shoes...

I can't usually get in on the "Exclusive" kicks cause they don't go past 13 most of the time. I wear a 14 and they may get up to my size sometimes. It's pretty much a given that I won't find any shoes near that size when I'm in Canada. No point trying to squeeze into some Nike SB Dunks if they're not comfortable.

My shoes get worn down to the last nub. Case in point the Saucony Shadow white/white w/ gum sole:

I never bought Saucony's before this pair and I got them off www.theathletesfoot.com for $30 two years ago. It pisses me off that I didn't buy two pairs because the site no longer sells shoes, just the stores. And every single one I go to doesn't have them. That's a shoe and I'll probably never find it again. I'm fittin' to call up Saucony and demand they make this shoe again. I just bought it w/ no concern over how many they made or who had it. I used to clean them shits every week for a few months then you get to that point where you say "fuck it" and wear them no matter. When I get to the point where I can have enough to wear through out the week then my shoes won't wear out as fast.

Buying records...

I have a different attitude toward club records and non-club oriented records. I try to guge whether a club song will have enough legs to last a year or two. Problem is that is so hard to do especially since one min a song is hot and eventually it fades out of existence. Most of the time I can tell though. The Whisper Song by Ying Yang Twins is one of those records. It's still to this day. Now, I don't know if I want to hear "BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY EVERYWHERE" next year a la "Ms New Booty". And Bubba Sparxx has a track record like that. Timbaland broke him but he hasn't crafted a lot of great songs over the years. I don't really like taking the here-and-now route and get a song that is getting burn now but won't last. Then again if you know what to play and when to play it won't be that big of a problem. Everything has it's place in the mix.

For non-club songs/albums I just get what I like. Sounds good, feels good, I'm getting it. If I see a Roy Ayers record or Sade or artist like that, it's mine. No questions asked.