thailand/cambodia

djobelixdjobelix 23 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
anyone got any info on records in thailand and cambodia? i'm off there next week and wouldnt mind checking some stuff out. cheers

Comments

• No info on records over there but enjoy your trip. I was there two years ago and totally enjoyed it. I'm assuming you're headed to Siem Reap to see Angor Wat. How are you getting there? Via land, air, or boat? I only had enough time to fly into Siem Reap, but I've heard some great stories of people traveling along the river and through the "roads" of Cambodia.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    No info on records over there but enjoy your trip. I was there two years ago and totally enjoyed it. I'm assuming you're headed to Siem Reap to see Angor Wat. How are you getting there? Via land, air, or boat? I only had enough time to fly into Siem Reap, but I've heard some great stories of people traveling along the river and through the "roads" of Cambodia.

Traveling in Cambodia is DANGEROUS!!!!! It's the kind of place where if you get robbed and call the police, the police show up and rob you again! To see Angkor Wat, I would fly direct from Bangkok to Siem Riep on Thai Airways and then stay at the Hotel Grand D'Angkor in Siem Riep. Hire a local guide when you get to Siem Riep. They are very cheap to hire for a whole day and will take you through all of the temple complexes. After seeing all the temples in the Siem Riep area, fly back to bangkok. There is really nothing to see in the rest of the country except some sites where the Khmer Rouge killed, tortured and buried people.

• No info on records over there but enjoy your trip. I was there two years ago and totally enjoyed it. I'm assuming you're headed to Siem Reap to see Angor Wat. How are you getting there? Via land, air, or boat? I only had enough time to fly into Siem Reap, but I've heard some great stories of people traveling along the river and through the "roads" of Cambodia.

Traveling in Cambodia is DANGEROUS!!!!! It's the kind of place where if you get robbed and call the police, the police show up and rob you again! To see Angkor Wat, I would fly direct from Bangkok to Siem Riep on Thai Airways and then stay at the Hotel Grand D'Angkor in Siem Riep. Hire a local guide when you get to Siem Riep. They are very cheap to hire for a whole day and will take you through all of the temple complexes. After seeing all the temples in the Siem Riep area, fly back to bangkok. There is really nothing to see in the rest of the country except some sites where the Khmer Rouge killed, tortured and buried people.

I don't know man... I've met quite a few people who've really enoyed Phnom Phen. They were there during some sort of water festival and it sounded amazing. No problems.

I guess it just depends on how you like to travel and what you like to see. I personally just enjoy walking through a foreign city. I don't need specific "sights". It is dangerous, but so is NYC and my own corner and Chicago, and SF, and LA.

There are so many cheap interesting places to say in Cambodia besides the Hotel Grand D'Angkor. I met some really cool Cambodians at the place I stayed. Their friends took me around on the motos. It was great, cheap and no problems.

Damn. I feel like I've started one of those stupid traveler arguments you hear inside of hostels...

No info on records over there but enjoy your trip. I was there two years ago and totally enjoyed it. I'm assuming you're headed to Siem Reap to see Angor Wat. How are you getting there? Via land, air, or boat? I only had enough time to fly into Siem Reap, but I've heard some great stories of people traveling along the river and through the "roads" of Cambodia.

There are so many cheap interesting places to say in Cambodia besides the Hotel Grand D'Angkor.

I hear you, but I think I'm too old to stay at "cheap interesting places." LOL! When I was younger, my bother and I would sleep in buses, trains, dorm rooms, temples, peoples houses etc. when we travelled. Now days, Wifey and I are all about staying in a NICE hotel. I can't hang with backpackers that have not showered in days and burn nag champa incense and want to get "spiritual."

• I can't hang with backpackers that have not showered in days and burn nag champa incense and want to get "spiritual."

You calling me a hippy?

No Nag Champa or patchouli here.
    I suppose I'd stay in the nicer hotels too, but I can't afford it plus, I've been doing most of my traveling solo.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I hear you, but I think I'm too old to stay at "cheap interesting places." LOL! When I was younger, my bother and I would sleep in buses, trains, dorm rooms, temples, peoples houses etc. when we travelled. Now days, Wifey and I are all about staying in a NICE hotel. I can't hang with backpackers that have not showered in days and burn nag champa incense and want to get "spiritual."

cosign like a motherfucker!

i have slept in the nastiest hovels, have many a backpacking story (2 years solo through europe, scandinavia and the middle east) and now im all grown up and married, i cant even stand overhearing a motherfucking backpacker conversation.

(although i will always help with directions and such as ive been lost too many times).

bring on the trustifarian masses!

How rude of me, Djobelisk, i never made it to Cambodia, but Thailand is all that and a bag of crisps. as far as records go, no idea mate, i was too busy soaking in the scenery, the friendly locals (in my humble opinion the best people on earth.) and eating like aking for next to nothing.

A smile goes a long way in Thailand, respect the locals and they will welcome you with open arms, act like a dickhead and they will CRUSH you.

enjoy your trip man.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    There is one record shop that I visited in Bangkok but it raelly wasn't interesting at all. There are apparently some other places to buy vinyl in the Chinese part of town but I'm not certain.

If your into diving head down to Koh Tao where I worked as a dive master for 5 months. Heaven on earth!! have fun!! Might even go abck myself this summer for about the 8th time!

• I'm leaving to Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam next week. Bangkok, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh & Ho Chi Minh City are all in the plan.

I know of some records shops in Bangkok, some shoe spots, and some good eats. Email me at [email]delmontfairchild@comcast.net[/email] and i'll let you know what I know.

We should definately link up over there!

If your into diving head down to Koh Tao where I worked as a dive master for 5 months. Heaven on earth!! have fun!! Might even go abck myself this summer for about the 8th time!

FUCK YES!

you worked on turtle island for 5 months? lucky fucker.

absolutly spectacular place.

Thailand is BEAUTIFUL. I was there in 87 right after high school. Bangkok was fun, but it is just another big crowded city. Try to get up north to Chiang-Mai and Chiang-Rai. Those are the areas we did not want to leave. We hooked up with this ex drug gangster dude who became a tour guide and rode on elephants up into the hills in the Golden Triangle area. Amazing.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Sinn Sithamouth Is definatley the one to look for. Peep Cambodia Rocks Comps.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I don't think there are any records in Cambodia.. that said, it's an amazing country, very very sad. You can look around and notice the missing generation. Don't be put off going to PP, it's quite easy to get around, just take motorcycle cabs at night. Be sure to go see the Killing Fields, it's very moving, especially strange are the kids who live there..

Also, I had one of my greatest meals in SE Asia in PP, at a restaurant called Khmer Surin... it had this upstairs filled with pillows, it was like eating in a treehouse, and they made the most amazing fish amok there (and more!). The city itself is both good and bad, the river is nice, and the big palace with solid silver floors is something else!

Siem Reap, outside of Angkor is not that exciting, but one thing that I really regret not doing is that there's a guy who lives there who will take you on multi-day motorcycle expeditions all over the country, places that you would never otherwise go...

Also, I'm not sure how you're planning on getting from Thailand to Cambodia, but if you're planning on taking a tourist bus - don't! There are much nicer ways...

• djobelixdjobelix 23 Posts
    safe to everyone whos shared what they know, i know thailand and cambodia can be a bit dodge but one of my oldest friends has opened a bar in cambodia and been there now about 18 months and got friends in thailand so hopefully local contacts can sort all the little issues, i still expect missions (it wouldnt be any fun otherwise).delmont, i would be up for meeting up i just got to see what the other people im going with are on and what the people out there are saying but ill email you. again cheers for getting back to me.

obelix