Suddenly records seem like a good deal...

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
So, I have a serious infection in my left eye. really bad. I'm miserable, and if left untreated, I'm told I would go blind. Anyhow, I've needed two types of eye drops in the last 3 days. one kind didn't work. These are tiny, tiny bottles. One costs $60, and one costs $105. I have two types of insurance. Neither insurance covers either perscription. Did I mention that the $60 eye drops didn't help me?Sorry, I'm just kinda bummed by all of this. America is pretty lame, huh?

Comments

• sounds like you won't go blind, since you're treating whatever it is.

$120 for intact eyesight is not lame...

cheer up

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    sorry to hear that man. hope things get better man

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

This is true.

I'll bet I could get Viagara coverd by my insurance, ya know?

Poop milk would help?

• you need the canadian hook up

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

This is true.

I'll bet I could get Viagara coverd by my insurance, ya know?

vision and health insurence are two totally different things most of the time

your mom told you this would happen if you stayed in the pleasure dome too long

good luck jeff

thanks all for the kind words.

Oh well, if things dodn't work out, at least I'll get to rock one of these bad boyz...

• thanks all for the kind words.

Oh well, if things dodn't work out, at least I'll get to rock one of these bad boyz...

are those from your taxidermy collection?

I was looking for some eyeballs for my Alex (clockwork orange) halloween outfit cufflinks, which never happened... they're expensive!!

• thanks all for the kind words.

Maybe you can trick em out with some spinners!

But seriously, hope the eye gets better soon.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    So, I have a serious infection in my left eye. really bad. I'm miserable, and if left untreated, I'm told I would go blind. Anyhow, I've needed two types of eye drops in the last 3 days. one kind didn't work. These are tiny, tiny bottles. One costs $60, and one costs $105. I have two types of insurance. Neither insurance covers either perscription. Did I mention that the $60 eye drops didn't help me?

Sorry, I'm just kinda bummed by all of this. America is pretty lame, huh?

Did you get generic?
    Most insurance companies won't pay up for brandname.
    Just learned this myself after being the hospital for a few days last week for heart failure (not as bad as it sounds).
    Check your blood pressure people!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    yup, i feel you crink. i hate unexpected expenses like that!!! they are the worst. one of my front tires got shredded (no AP) yesterday on the freeway, and shit's gonna cost $250 to get 2 new tires, alignment, what not. i guess that is why you "save" money. a novel idea until now.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Crinky,

Take care of your eye and good luck with all that, but yo, if things don't um, "work out" for you, skip the glass eye and go for the sequined patch.

THE GREAT ADVENTURES OF SLINK CRINK

Just a thought.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    My 2 ???urocents:

pay more taxes
    recoup hospital costs

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    skip the glass eye and go for the sequined patch.

seriously though... good luck man that's some stressful shit... just be thankful its not your ears eh?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Dude, that's harsh. I hope you get well soon; let me know if you need assistance.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I hope you sort your eye out and I think your situation is a sad indictment on the US system.I don't want to hijack your thread into a political debate but..

I am lucky that as an Australian we have a Pharmaceutical benefits scheme (PBS) here where the goverment pays most of the costs. The health system in the US seems fucked.
    My wife is having a baby in 6 weeks here and so far after numerous doctor visits we haven't had to spend a cent. The hospital visit for the birth will be free and we even get a $3000 baby bonus from the goverment just for having a child.

Our countries have been in negotiations for a free trade agreement (Our Prime ministers real reason for supporting the war in Iraq and being Bushes lap dog) and the US has been been putting preesure on the Australian goverment to scrap the PBS to allow US drug companies unfettered access to our markets...

And Australian consumers? Will they benefit from the greater access to Australian markets for US firms? Or is it an deal for US industry?

This warning, which says that the free trade agreement with the United States would lead to Australians paying 30 per cent more for prescription drugs, keeps on surfacing. This time round the warning is sounded in the US. Kevin Outterson, a law professor at the University of West Virginia and an expert on international drug pricing, says Americans currently pay about one-third to 50 per cent more for leading prescription drugs than Australians.

Prof Outterson says that for a 30 day supply of the cholesterol-reducing drug Lipitor (30mg), Australians pay about $US42.92. Americans, for the same quantity, are charged about $US94.57. For 30 200mg capsules of the pain reliever Celebrex, Australians pay $US24.97, while in the US it costs $US76.09.

Prof Outterson then said that:

"Australia has lower prices and a more functional and complete system than anyone else and that's exactly why the drug companies want to shut it down, because it is such an outstanding model. The FTA is designed to gum up the works on a very efficient, thoughtful system, that many of us wish we could import into the US."

• Prof Outterson says that for a 30 day supply of the cholesterol-reducing drug Lipitor (30mg), Australians pay about $US42.92. Americans, for the same quantity, are charged about $US94.57.

well, I pay $25 for a 30-days supply of Lipitor... granted I have a good health insurance plan. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same health insurance, which sucks.

I'm all for "universal" health care, but honestly, it will never work in the US - were're too involved in this corporate-controlled health system we have - it'll take a miracle to change it.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Dude, that's harsh. I hope you get well soon; let me know if you need assistance.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Medicare our universal health care plan was put in place by the Labour goverment (Similar to democrats) in 1972 and successive right wing goverments under the current prime minister John Howard have been gradually trying to erode the system and get most Australians into private health care. With the FTA and the pressure being put on us by the US drug companies who knows what will happen to us. My wife is a naturopath and dont have much faith in western mediicne anyway.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Did I mention that the $60 eye drops didn't help me?

eBay: one slightly used bottle of eyedrops. Buy It Now: $35!

yup, i feel you crink. i hate unexpected expenses like that!!! they are the worst. one of my front tires got shredded (no AP) yesterday on the freeway, and shit's gonna cost $250 to get 2 new tires, alignment, what not. i guess that is why you "save" money. a novel idea until now.

What you do is price match the fuck out of that bitch.

Rinky dink tire place + written estimate + take it to a real spot for a price match + discount = much better

Plus you don't have to get an alignment immediately, wheel it over to wherever is running them cheap if you must. I just recently saw a coupon for one of the chain car places for a $30 2-wheel alignment.

$120 for anything medical is cheap.

BTW, check the ingredients of your eyedrops, I've had doctors prescribe me over the counter shit on multiple occasions. Iver the counter stuff + from the pharmacy = prescription-only prices