ego trip back issue question

13»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I think your dislike of Jay-Z probably revents you from finding any deeper meaning in his verses; believe me, it's there.

Nas' problem is that his production sucks and he very quickly became a parody of the brilliant rapper we heard on his first record.

No, Jay can flow I just don't find it as incredible as most say it is. Nas, lyrically, has always been infinitely better, but he lacks Jay's charisma. That's the difference. Style trumps substance, as least it does at the cash register.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks - I hear what you're saying and to a certain degree, I agree - like, as just a lyrical run, nothing on "Reasonable Doubt" ever impressed me in the same way as Nas flowing on "Memory Lane" for example or "New York State of Mind." But it's two different kinds of lyrics - Nas was about fucking density - like he wanted to throw a barrage at words at you and what was crazy was that...most of it actually made sense. Whereas Jay is more of a minimalist - he's not trying to stun folks with an articulate verbosity but rather, his ability to say more with less but still do it with a slick flow and some great punchlines.

But in terms of depth and evocativeness and diversity of ideas, "Reasonable Doubt" is completely amazing to me. Even his "commercial" songs had a grace to them (and in this regard, Jay-Z owes much to an incredible ensemble of producers who were as vital to his album was Nas' squad was to "Illmatic").

I'm not trying to force you to concede that Jay-Z is better/equal/whatever to Nas - if you don't like dude for whatever reason, ok, fine. But I do have to disagree with the idea that "Reasonable Doubt" was all about style rather than substance. Go back and listen to "D'evils" or "Regrets" or even "Cashmere Thoughts" or "Can I Live". Jay is dropping some serious shit AND sounding incredible in the process.

For the record, I'd still put "Illmatic" ahead of "Reasonable Doubt" simply because Nas was, to me, fucking transcendent on "Illmatic" in a way that no other hip-hop album in the '90s was but that's my bias. (Though, now that I think about it, "Cuban Linx" would be a tough competitor, especially given Nas' verse on "Verbal Intercourse" ironically enough).

Hey Oliver,

I concede, I overstated the style over substance just a bit to make my point. I didn't mean to imply that Jay spews a bunch of nonsensical babble. Really, the winner between the two is decided ultimately in what you value in an MC. Most folks appear to value charisma over pure lyricism. I would say a mixture of both is ideal, at least artistically, anyway.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak