RECORD HOBBITS

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I know all of you have 1 or 2 around the way.Locals that you NEVER see in the record world, yet have some crazy collections.Speak on it.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Speak on it.

Totally.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    SF's own Mean Gene. Dude's arms will reach up outta nowhere and start filing thru records at a pace. Can I get a witness?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    theres "The Flipper" in Chicago.... though Im sure his collection is nothing but 10 45s of weak pop shit... This dude comes to record shows with dirty sweatpants with 2 inch rips in the rear, and no undies on. His hair is a mess, his shirt looks like a BBQ napkin, and he's just generally desheveled, and never speaks. He flips throught every record at the show at breakneck pace, and you never see him leaving with a record, MAYBE 1 or 2 45s. He stole from a local shop before as well.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    his shirt looks like a BBQ napkin

i gotta remember that one

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    theres "The Flipper" in Chicago.... though Im sure his collection is nothing but 10 45s of weak pop shit... This dude comes to record shows with dirty sweatpants with 2 inch rips in the rear, and no undies on. His hair is a mess, his shirt looks like a BBQ napkin, and he's just generally desheveled, and never speaks. He flips throught every record at the show at breakneck pace, and you never see him leaving with a record, MAYBE 1 or 2 45s. He stole from a local shop before as well.

photo

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

I have a photo of Chicago Flipper on a disposable camera.
    If I develop the roll, we can all witness the Flipper.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    a photographic "flip-book" may be appropriate.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I don't think you're talking about Bob Miner but the Bar-B-Q napkin shirt sure sounds like him!!!

• I have a photo of Chicago Flipper on a disposable camera.

I don't think you're talking about Bob Miner but the Bar-B-Q napkin shirt sure sounds like him!!!

Some heavily disheveled Chicago native named Bob pays off a nice thrift store down here in DC. He visits now and then to pay off the owner and collect all the 45s that have built up. He only buys the 45s. Any idea if this is the same dude? I've been trying to get in with owner (for years) to no avail.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Richmond, VA has got a dude that Delay and I nicknamed 'shakes'. I feel bad calling him that though because the guy is nice as can be, however, he has this nervous twitch where he shakes his head all the time. Without fail, I have seen him EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been to RVA with a stack of LPs and VHS tapes under his arm.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    SF's own Mean Gene. Dude's arms will reach up outta nowhere and start filing thru records at a pace. Can I get a witness?

if you're talking about gene the postman, hell yeah. dude is like [dustcloud] phooooommm-phooooommm [/dustcloud] when it comes through filing through records.

i don't think i'd consider him a hermit though. he's always at the shows, stores, and garage sales. but i bet he's got some serious heat.

• At the Buena Park/ Pasadena record swaps theres a guy with 2 different sized eye sockets. He's a total oddball and never seems to buy any rcords but flips through it all. I first noticed him when I was selling and he looked at me and said "It's like Star Wars" and nothing else.

AP[/b] I know you know this guy

• chrischris 287 Posts

Some heavily disheveled Chicago native named Bob pays off a nice thrift store down here in DC. He visits now and then to pay off the owner and collect all the 45s that have built up. He only buys the 45s. Any idea if this is the same dude? I've been trying to get in with owner (for years) to no avail.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Develop The Roll

Isn't that a B-Legit record or something?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

No this is not the same dude, nor is it Bob Miner. Bob has showed and told me some of the things he's gotten out of that thrift though. You have good reason to be aggravated.

Bob runs a soul radio show here at college station WHPK called Sitting In The Park. He's got a website where he archives his radio interviews. Hours of cool info and entertainment here....... http://sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html