J. Dutronc appreciation post!!

JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Is anyone digging this as much as me?Always loved all his first ep's etc. but when I recentlyaccuired his 2nd, I think, Lp is was blown away! (The cover is a pic of him smoking a cigar, no title nor year).Great tripped out french psych rock funk pop mashup nicenss!Anyone know when this was done? What else to buy?

Comments

• They were showing The Main thing is to Love, a movie with Dutronc in it on IFC last night at like two in the morning. I passed out watching it. Its part of that Z channel retrospective they're doing all week.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I'd like to know what else is good, too. I've just got this EP (of J'ai tout lu.. fame):

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Personally, i find it a little "ehhhhhh...."

peace.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Almost all of his EPs are great - I especially recommend the following tracks: 'Je Suis Content', 'Le Responsable', 'Le Cactus', 'Sur Une Nappe De Restaurant', and he has a hard as f*ck garage tune 'A Quele Yvenines' (or something like that) from 1970. None of these are funky like "J'ai Tout Vu, Tout Bu, Tout Lu', but 'Le Cactus' has some big drums on it.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I'd like to know what else is good, too. I've just got this EP (of J'ai tout lu.. fame):

Yeah, that one's a classic, but people are really sleepin' on his killer bhangra sets:

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Yeah, that one's a classic, but people are really sleepin' on his killer bhangra sets:

J. Dutronc kinda looks like he posts here alot.

• That guy behind him looks like Vin Diesel and Jason Kidd had a baby.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    About 8 years ago, Matt Dillon came to my night at the old XVI in NYC and when not busy tipping the go go girls, he kept coming over to the DJ booth, asking what song was playing, I remember him specificaly liking the Dutronc stuff. Just last night, I rented out the DVD of this movie "City Of Ghosts" that he recently produced (or directed? can't remember), he's also playing the lead character and there's a scene when he's entering a bar and the owner (Gererd Depardieu) plays "et moi, et moi, et moi" real loud on his turntable...

besides... anybody who likes this kind of groovy french 60s stuff and happens to be in NYC this Wednesday should come down to my party at Happy Ending, I'll be spinning records, along with my buddy Dynamic Don who's also flying in from Berlin for this gig and has an incredible collection of this shit. There will also be go go girls, psychedelic euro sexploitation video projections and slides with risquee lobby cards, movie posters and the like. We won't even charge money at the door! Join your favorite mustachoid kraut for a beer or two!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    About 8 years ago, Matt Dillon came to my night at the old XVI in NYC and when not busy tipping the go go girls, he kept coming over to the DJ booth, asking what song was playing, I remember him specificaly liking the Dutronc stuff. Just last night, I rented out the DVD of this movie "City Of Ghosts" that he recently produced (or directed? can't remember), he's also playing the lead character and there's a scene when he's entering a bar and the owner (Gererd Depardieu) plays "et moi, et moi, et moi" real loud on his turntable...

besides... anybody who likes this kind of groovy french 60s stuff and happens to be in NYC this Wednesday should come down to my party at Happy Ending, I'll be spinning records, along with my buddy Dynamic Don who's also flying in from Berlin for this gig and has an incredible collection of this shit. There will also be go go girls, psychedelic euro sexploitation video projections and slides with risquee lobby cards, movie posters and the like. We won't even charge money at the door! Join your favorite mustachoid kraut for a beer or two!

sounds like fun man, you should bring it to L.A.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    That guy behind him looks like Vin Diesel and Jason Kidd had a baby.

woah weird-I know that dude!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'd like to know what else is good, too. I've just got this EP (of J'ai tout lu.[/b] fame):

Yeah. It's still pretty cheap, too (on eBay, with shipping from UK, under $10). I just love that song; always a positive reaction.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've been checkin' for Dutronc over the past couple of years, ever since my boy played me one of the EP's he got in Montreal...dude just does NOT show up in bins...and the ish on eBay goes pretty high whenever I think to look for it...just ONCE I'd like to find a JD LP or EP in the damn French section, between Gilbert Becaud and Yves Montand!

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    I've been checkin' for Dutronc over the past couple of years, ever since my boy played me one of the EP's he got in Montreal...dude just does NOT show up in bins...and the ish on eBay goes pretty high whenever I think to look for it...just ONCE I'd like to find a JD LP or EP in the damn French section, between Gilbert Becaud and Yves Montand!

I've actually found one of his EPs at a record show. Was a couple of years ago, but was fairly shocked to find it in the States. My recommendation: trade your way into a copy. Shouldn't be terribly difficult for a European to find some of his records for you (I've seen Spanish and German pressings as well as French Vogue).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My recommendation: trade your way into a copy. Shouldn't be terribly difficult for a European to find some of his records for you (I've seen Spanish and German pressings as well as French Vogue).

Good call, although those Europeans often have inflated senses of record values!!

I will definitely try that, though - I've got some good trade bait dupes built up right now...

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    The EP's are everywhere in France and can be found up here aswell. Remember he
    was quite a big artist back in the days... The LP's on the other hand are not easy to find, for me the 2nd is the best.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    When I met up with Rich Hero and some of the V.Vultures, they knew all about their Dutronc. Played me one with a name I can't remember, but it had some hard bongo playing... their advice was, pick up anything by the guy that you see.

I scored my "Jai Tu.." after I saw it on the Rehash site. Cheers!

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Not to highjack, but can anyone find me some truly obscure french freakbeat / psych? Would love to hear more.

I'm trying to think of the Dutronc tune with the hard bongo playing. I'll have to go through them again.

I actually threw on some Dutronc last night...drove my wife nuts. She doesn't like records featuring foreign vocals.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts

I actually threw on some Dutronc last night...drove my wife nuts. She doesn't like records featuring foreign vocals.

That's so American

...Anyone know how many lp's he did?

• he has a hard as f*ck garage tune 'A Quele Yvenines'

Huge co-sign. Track is called "A La Queue des Yvelines". Wicked fuzz licks... great psych-garage... I've got doubles of "Le Responsable" if anyone needs - looks VG-, but plays much better, even VG+ I'd say...

• robert_murtrobert_murt 338 Posts

Not to highjack, but can anyone find me some truly obscure french freakbeat / psych? Would love to hear more.

I'm trying to think of the Dutronc tune with the hard bongo playing. I'll have to go through them again.

Here's a pretty solid selection of psych/freakbeat/ye-ye tunes from my charming country:

http://www.popmeter.com/jukebox/index.php?q=f&f=%2FFrench_60s