Options

Weekday finds

edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Couple cheapiesSealed from '91.K in Canada.

Comments

• Ran down to Vegas on an impromptu trip. Looked around for some rackords on Easter and came up with this

Good meeting up with the Vegas strutters, if only for like 15 minutes. I'ma try to show up well rested next time.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    hit a pretty big load of blues and jazz stuff with some special friends mixed
    in from various sources.

thanks to strutter for the OZ trade action!

this is as utterly insane as it looks!!! not in very good shape but never mind that, its still bonafide bloodstool action. just mind boggling!!!!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Nice finds karlophone! That jr and the soulettes looks unsane.

Just curious though, did you get that canadian electronic ensemble from ebay (in particular, a seller from Alberta)?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jesus.

OG Jr. & His Soulettes?? Unheard of. I Have MP3's from Real Headz.
    Shit is off the hook.
    You know the story behind it? The kids singing about Momma
    being gone, etc..?

Doodletown Pipers is in Homer Simpson's record collection!

did you get that canadian electronic ensemble from ebay (in particular, a seller from Alberta)?

nope. no ebay at all actually.

Jesus.

Shit is off the hook.
    being gone, etc..?

i dont know the story at all actually, but i was diggin "momma love tequila". sung by 6-10 year olds thats just wrong. haha. also "pimp" - a 10 year old in 1971 doing a song called "pimp"?!?!!!

might need to find mp3s myself, the needle jumps on 3 of the songs. but maybe i can salvage them with the secret pin technique.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    might need to find mp3s myself, the needle jumps on 3 of the songs.

I got you. I'll hit you on the PM in a few minutes when it's uploaded.

Is yours warped? Supposedly all or most OG's were, because
    they were shrinkwrapped in a meat packing plant, damaging
    most known copies.

Also, Popsike shows a reissue selling for over $100

Trashed or not, that's a real rare gem you found.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    FAKE FINDS ALERT

SIKE NAW, KILLIN IT MAN!!!!!!!!!!
    ANIMATED EGG AND WENDY AND BONNIE AND JR SOULETTES?

COLOR
    ME
    JELLY

HI

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    -----
    shrinkwrapped in a meat packing plant

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Jesus.

Shit is off the hook.
    being gone, etc..?

i dont know the story at all actually, but i was diggin "momma love tequila". sung by 6-10 year olds thats just wrong. haha. also "pimp" - a 10 year old in 1971 doing a song called "pimp"?!?!!!

might need to find mp3s myself, the needle jumps on 3 of the songs. but maybe i can salvage them with the secret pin technique.

Hey Karlophone,

Here's the history, as told by Rockadelic.
    http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...true#Post497303

Peace

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Fucking FUCK! Goddammit. Fuck!

And, you know, it wouldn't be so bad, but you do this shit like every fucking week.

DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!
    DIE! DIE! DIE!

Is yours warped? Supposedly all or most OG's were, because
    they were shrinkwrapped in a meat packing plant, damaging
    most known copies.

no, not warped at all, just a lotta marks, dings and pops. 'well loved'. Im defintely going to be trying some kung-fu pin skip removal techniques, it can only improve it.

ok, im going to go 'die' 43 times now!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    These are from the weekend, but that thread is long enough already. I looked through a bunch of boxes at the flea and found nothing while waiting around for another guy to open up. The dude who's stuff I looked through pulls me over and hands me a stack of about 30 records of which I picked these four:

Bobby Womack and JJ Barnes are both in shrink and mint, been waiting for them to pop up for a long time. The Tokens is ok, the pressing quality is terrible, instrumentals are surf, fuzz good, the vocal songs are old school and just ok. Lord Sutch is worse than I thought, his vocals suck, too bad, I usually like records on Cotillion.

These came in the mail:

The Strawbs is dope baroque psych, Francoise we all know and love. Fuck the haters, Jim and Carrie is nice, thanks for the tip Jeremy it really does feel like I'm there. HP Lovecraft is a classic, but really, they are a cheap dead rip off, not so great. Reign Ghost, where do I start, this record is amazing, beyond great. Private Canada psych fuzz rare that lives up to the price tag. I got it cheap because its not in great condition, but its listenable and I didn't want to pay top dollar and wait around for a mint one to show up. That said if you have the money and know where to get one don't hesitate, the best psych record I own. The woman who sings on this record reminds me of a drugged out Perhacs, she is awesome. I need more records like this.

• Horace Silver-Total Response
    Jimmy Heath-Love and understanding
    Pat Martino-Desperado
    Steve Kuhn-Raindrops
    Yusef LAteef-Detroit
    Jeremy Steig-Legwork
    Bobby Pierce-New York

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    springtimesunroofopenmoderfix:

SSO - tonight's the night and Prince Phillip Mitchell - Make It Good

courtesy of the good folks at hyde park records.

(dabneysoulman holler)

• Whats that RAM album all about?

• springtimesunroofopenmoderfix:

SSO - tonight's the night and Prince Phillip Mitchell - Make It Good

courtesy of the good folks at hyde park records.

(dabneysoulman holler)

haha, as soon as I read that SSO I was thinking damn I need to get a copy of that.

BTW you bout to learn a whole lot bout Trick Baby.

PM me your E-mail addy

• awallawall 673 Posts
    scored these on sunday...

rare sharrock-esque sinus clearer outta st. louis. recorded on the day of jimi hendrix???s death.

brazilian niceness. the dreaded soulstrut catch phrase "funky tinges" applies i suppose but this is much mroe beautiful than that. listen

probably hittin??? ebay with this one

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

rare sharrock-esque sinus clearer outta st. louis. recorded on the day of jimi hendrix???s death.

This is a completely absurd free jazz album from the B.A.G. camp. Probably my favorite album from these guys. From the guitar work on the first track to the more subdued piano on the last, sounds like one hell of a night! It's quite rare, to boot... I only got a copy a few weks ago, and not for cheap either.

Where did you find yours?

• awallawall 673 Posts

This is a completely absurd free jazz album from the B.A.G. camp. Probably my favorite album from these guys. From the guitar work on the first track to the more subdued piano on the last, sounds like one hell of a night! It's quite rare, to boot... I only got a copy a few weks ago, and not for cheap either.

Where did you find yours?

yeah it's a scorcher. bought it off of a good friend of mine along with those other two records (and more), apparently her dad gave all of them to her.

• Options

Sarkie idd some work with Lloyd Barnes in New York and this, and the other 45's on yopung Tubby's, may be closely associated with that. Dub side complete with a ripping trumpet solo.

Keeper.

b/w "Soul Shake" byu Sound Dimension.

This blew my head. The dub is ridiculous.

OG Truth and Rights sans cover

One of Boothe's best tunes.

First time I heard this.

killer instrumental b/w Mystic Mood.

Quality comp from US-based Steady label.

Quality comp from JA-based Studio One. Silkscreened cover front and back. Impressive.

OG (Studio 1) press of Pirate's Choice. Word is someone bootlegged these tracks on a comp, so in retaliation Coxsone issued the exact same legitimate comp. May be the best comp on the label....with Horace Andy's "Show and Tell", otis gayle's "I'll Be Around", Prince Lincoln's "True Experience", the JAy Tee's "A Prayer To JAh", etc...

Canadian-only '80 roots killer.

a Double.

Monster dennis/niney Lp. A Double.

K in Canada.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Seems like you are the only guy in t-dot with all shit you pull?! WTF!
    Need that Deep Down badly....
    Is it for sale/trade or What?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Yikes, dude - unwarped copies are like mythical raer. Congrats!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    a few 45s:
    alvin cash, "moaning and growning/funk '69"
    willie gresham and the free food ticket, "step by step/i cried boo hoo"
    james brown, "the chicken/the popcorn"
    little beaver, "party down"
    the beginning of the end, "funky nassau"
    dyke and the blazers, "we got more soul/shotgun slim"
    syl johnson, "annie got hot pants"
    the soul runners, "chittlin' salad"
    the soul searchers, "we the people"

Whats that RAM album all about?

ranges from wah wah heavy groove rock to spaced out flute passages, freakouts etc. overall to me its grounded more in acid rock than psyche or prog, but all these styles are on it. many instrumental passages, which is good cuz the vocals are the least interesting part. 'heavy progressive' may be the best way to classify it. as i understand it, its quite hard to find. Polydor, 1972.

• Options
    Seems like you are the only guy in t-dot with all shit you pull?! WTF!
    Need that Deep Down badly....
    Is it for sale/trade or What?

I'm not by a long shot...just work hard at looking

You've been PM'd.

Easy, K.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

i refuse to believe its under 10 yr olds playing the instruments. if so, wow. i mean it is a boring listen, but if they changed up some of the sounds itd be great

• I got this at a super-random "estate sale" on Monday morning a few blocks from my house. This is my favorite song right now, so utterly sublime. Funky northern soul.

This was from the same stack of 45s. Great Bay soul. I also found a copy of Hanging On To A Lie by the Natural Four but the condition is totally fucked. As per usual for that title, it seems.

Flea market find from this morning. Psychedelic for lack of a better description. It's a nice tune. It also seems to be un-googlable so if anyone knows anything please let me know.

More flea market goodies. This looked like it could totally suck but is actually pretty dope. There's a nice boogie tune and some reggae material. From Nigeria. K in Canada, Aleit, you guys see this one around?

That Gnarls Barkley is fucking great. My favorite new song of the year so far. The 12" up in the corner is Morocco Moe.

Northern Soul that apparently is worth a chunk of dough according to Manship. The name Augustin Ramirez sure sounds familiar. Same tune that Dusty Springfield sang by the way.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    [
    Flea market find from this morning. Psychedelic for lack of a better description. It's a nice tune. It also seems to be un-googlable so if anyone knows anything please let me know.

I know I've seen that label online before (its a memorable one)... but I think it was a soul or funk title...

I'm trying to check out an estate sale this wknd, here's to hoping I come up so well...