Turntable help, please: weird slowing down related

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
So, I have a fairly new belt-drive TT. Just in the last week or two I've been noticing that it will intermittently slow down - just a bit, just for a few seconds - then it goes back to normal. It's driving me insane. Anyone know what's up? how to fix it? Please?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Belt drive you say?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    take your mouth off.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Damn!
    Don't know what you can do...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    take your mouth off.

Do you have a tuning mechanism on the turntable?

I have a direct drive Technics SL 2000, pitch control problems like a mug. Basically though I found the problem lies with the pitch control, as when I twist it around a bit after some seriously satanic warbling it returns to normal.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    yeah belt drives will do that. The pair i learned on would speed up or slow down randomly. You always needed to have a hand to guide it.
    It sounds like your belt is worn or stretched although you said it was new?
    Try changeing the belt. Thats all i can think of.

• Belt drive you say?
    i'm sayin'!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    awesome - thanks you guys. the belt is a few years old actually. I'll try the tuning knob and pick up a new belt. Hopefully one or the other will do it...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    pick up a new belt

I'm 90% sure this will fix it. A sloppy belt is usually the cause of pitch problems on belt drives. A friend of mine has the same problem (permanent slo-mo) right now, but he's too stingy to pay for a new belt.

If you can hold the platter and the belt doesn't give you the expected friction (i.e. it just 'slides off') you should definetely change it.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    My friend had an sl2000 as well. Sometimes when you just touched the base when a record was spinning it would jump up to plus 8 for a while before slowing down again. Very random.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    If a turntable is too close to the speaker that can affect the pitch too..