weekend finds: good friday and beyond

Comments

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    But... i will say that the old addage - holders never buy and buyers never hold - rings pretty true to these ears.

Good advice Johnny. (Just taking the piss, not mad doggie)

In my mailbox I found a nice Zerfas re, Rick Grossman Hot Romance, Judy Lander, Ted Lucas LP + 7", Bergen White For Women Only, and in the sto I found a Luie Luie. I like El Touchy but I think this one is better, at least a lot funkier.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Which HArriott? Do tell.

Acid Rock? Float On? Sings Jamaican Reggae? Early Rocksteady ska one (Keep on dancing or Best of on Crystal)?

K.

Greatest Reggae Hits.

Also found a Troubadours record with a heavy cover of "Cardova" on Wirl. Forgot that one!

That is a cool LP, a one-tracker as far as the funk is concerned. Ultra slow and loagy cover, but fonnnk ayyyye.

Actually a few weeks ago I sold an extra copy I had to odub and this doud who posts here emailed me talking trash because I didn't give out the name or title.

• Options
    That would be a Syd Jones adn the Troubadours and it's not the same Troubadours as Sparrow's Troubadours (which are Trini while the Jones group is Bejan - smae guys that backed up Jackie Opel).

Went digging with my girl - me for records, her for everything under the sun. Came home with about 150 choice LP's/12's, 2 Barber chairs ($50CDN) and a hardwood desk ($30) which I'm going to sand and stain.

Original on Vee Jay.

Italian prog.

Russian prog?

Italo disco.

about 50 CBC 4 in 1's - many with killer JAzz cuts that were onyl issued on this series.

I might keep this.

Easter dinner with my girlsd Guyanese relatives and then off to Bruce Beach to open the cottage.

K in Canada.

• Options

Also got this and some other Columbian things. Deep LP.

K.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Is this cover an instance of camera angle again? She is, how you say, 2-2 thick.

• Options
    Yep. HEr haed is farther away the from the lens than her body. Instant stupid butt.

Also a double of this deep afro latin LP

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    flea market finds -- 25 cents to 50 cents each. all og and in excellent shape.

electronic/avant garde in that pic. still sealed eno lp.

----story time----

i was done making my rounds for lps and 45s at the flea. this is when i go through again to see if i can find any books, knick-knacks, and because most record dudes at the flea aren't too into 78s, i run through those too as looking through those can be pretty time consuming and i always worry about walking around with 78s as they can break.
    i see a couple of boex of 78s, and the couple says, "we have some bigger records too--if you like those."
    i at first assumed they meant lps, but then their body language suggested something bigger--much bigger.

then they showed me a box that they had under a blanket in the back of thier pickup truck, hidden like a dead cat or something of holy value (one or the other) .

the large box was filled with these---

they are transcription radio discs from capitol records produced during the mid/late 1940s specifically meant for radio play only. they measure 16" in diamater, and the labels are huge.

here is an example:

the couple asked a buck each or 20 bucks for the whole box--which contained about 80 of them, and i didn't even flinch.
    about the recordings--
    often the recordings were made specifically for the program breaks on the radio, generally being around 30 minutes long. they were never commercially available and most of the recordings were never issued to the public.

lots of the pop music of the day-- big band/swing/jazz/crooner/country&western stuff were issued onto these 16" transcription lp discs.
    artists in the box range from gene krupa, stan kenton, nat king cole, king sisters, korla pandit, a ton of jan garber, and several others.

i've seen these records only a few places before-- at double decker records several years ago, and at my old college library--that has a bunch of these recordings and og acetates of early jazz recordings.
    but never before have i come across them in my travels, and none from capitol (there are a number of cd-box set reissues of these rare capitol transcription recordings--and even those aren't cheap).

of course, i don't have anything to play them on but they seem like a pretty neat piece of recording/radio history.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Nice finds. What's the Body & Soul Lp?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Nice finds. What's the Body & Soul Lp?

Pretty good LP actually.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=814

Nice..

• ageage 1,131 Posts

garage sale dude: no... i...

me: (walking away)

ha!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

That's OK because I got some hot stuff in the mail:

That Chandra record is indeed hot stuff!
    What is her deal other than some of the people from NYC's early 80s downtown scene (material guys) working with her?
    also, she/her band was from nyc, but the label is out of philly. it's not so weird, but i find it weird for whatever reason.
    that release deserves to be reissued or comped.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

add 40 (forty) years & lotsa botox

• Yep. HEr haed is farther away the from the lens than her body. Instant stupid butt.

Well, that looks dope...is it a comp, or a group or something? Do tell...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Have a heart.
    She's trying to show you how huge her ass USED to be, with her hands.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

damn nice finds!!! i wish i could have a day like that.

and bonnie dobson is damn attractive.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

try this:

pick out some rares from your own collection
    box them up
    put them outside on your curb
    go back inside
    set an egg timer for 30 miutes
    write a note telling yourself to go outside
    place note under timer
    take an iron skillet
    hit yourself over the head

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

try this:

pick out some rares from your own collection
    box them up
    put them outside on your curb
    go back inside
    set an egg timer for 30 miutes
    write a note telling yourself to go outside
    place note under timer
    take an iron skillet
    hit yourself over the head

HAHAHAH i actually like this idea!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Have a heart.
    She's trying to show you how huge her ass USED to be, with her hands.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

What is her deal other than some of the people from NYC's early 80s downtown scene (material guys) working with her?
    also, she/her band was from nyc, but the label is out of philly. it's not so weird, but i find it weird for whatever reason.
    Yeah, the women that produced that record was Euginie Diserio who was the singer for The Dance. The dance's first EP is also on that Philly label (which, I agree, is weird). Also, dude from Material drummed for The Dance. Apparently Chandra also formed a full teenage band at some point, but I'm unsure if they pressed records.

They need to reissue the entire The Dance catalogue and the Chandra EP. That Chandra EP is just killer though, and the fact that the girl is 12 years old on that record is really incredible. Apparently she wrote all her own lyrics too.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

Yeah, the women that produced that record was Euginie Diserio who was the singer for The Dance. The dance's first EP is also on that Philly label (which, I agree, is weird). Also, dude from Material drummed for The Dance. Apparently Chandra also formed a full teenage band at some point, but I'm unsure if they pressed records.

They need to reissue the entire The Dance catalogue and the Chandra EP. That Chandra EP is just killer though, and the fact that the girl is 12 years old on that record is really incredible. Apparently she wrote all her own lyrics too.

Even more stranger is that Dance's first LP "In Lust" was recorded in England and made in France, and their second "Soul Force" was recorded both in the UK and NY.

That Chandra is some great business too, thanks for hooking me up with the mp3's, A***n!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Even more stranger is that Dance's first LP "In Lust" was recorded in England and made in France, and their second "Soul Force" was recorded both in the UK and NY.
    Perhaps they were just really lucky!

That Chandra is some great business too, thanks for hooking me up with the mp3's, A***n!

• Options
    Yep. HEr haed is farther away the from the lens than her body. Instant stupid butt.

Well, that looks dope...is it a comp, or a group or something? Do tell...

Not a comp. Circa 69/70 Lp from of French West Indies/Haitian group. I'll likely be putting it on my lsit if nobody gets to me before it rides.

K.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i stopped at an antique store in Toledo this morning after my dentist appointment and snagged a box of reel-to-reels. Included were 4 or 5 tapes by a group called "God's Children", which I assume was a garage band in the Toledo area. It looks like there are a couple originals and they cover standards like Satisfaction, Louie Louie, Mustang Sally, Hey Joe, Wipe Out etc. Now I just need to find someone that can play these for me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Now I just need to find someone that can play COMP these for me.

• "I was born in Odessa, Ukraine, moved to the United States when I was 12 years old. I lived in Scottsdale, Arizona and graduated from Arizona State University with a degree in Biology. Now I live in Los Angeles and I am continuing my education in the medical field. I am an intelligent, passionate, warm and loyal woman."

• Options
    Kinda dig that Jimmy McKee "I'll be Around" cover.

K.

• Kinda dig that Jimmy McKee "I'll be Around" cover.

K.

yeah that cover of I'll be around is kinda nice.

BTW I need to hit you with a PM

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    all 45's
    bobby bland - 'yum yum tree/i'm sorry' (duke)

gets play at my house. nice finds!

seconded... "i'm sorry" was one of the first 45's i ever bought... such a nice groove...