weekend finds: good friday and beyond

johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
all 45'sbobby bland - 'yum yum tree/i'm sorry' (duke)cynthia and the imaginations - 'there's something the matter/is there anyone, anywhere' (magic city)natural four - 'try love again/can this be real' (curtom)radiants - 'it ain't no big thing/i got a girl' (chess)sandi jones - 'tuscaloosa's calling me (but i'm not going)/same' (dakar, promo)chuck jackson - 'the breaking point/my willow tree' (wand)the falcons - 'has it happened to you yet/lonely nights' (lu-pine)ruby andrews - '(i want to be) what ever it takes to please you/pt. 2' (zodiac)in the maillee williams and the cymbals - 'i'll be gone/i love you more' (carnival)charles mintz - 'give a man a break/finders keepers' (uplook, og)delegates of soul - 'i'll come running back' b/w gene faith - 'give a man a break' (uplook, re)

Comments

• all 45's
    bobby bland - 'yum yum tree/i'm sorry' (duke)

gets play at my house. nice finds!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• Monk Higgins-Heavyweight
    Bobby Hutcherson-Head On
    Alice Coltrane-Lord of Lords
    John Klemmer-Blowin' Gold
    Embryo-We Keep On

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Driving barebones 60s garage

Uptempo French sunshine pop with Northern feel

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts

Uptempo French sunshine pop with Northern feel

Liliane St. Pierre is actually Belgian, she made some very very bad music the last years. Funny thing is she lives close to me, because my mother sees her in the local fitness center a lot.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    me: (looking through small amount of LPs. maybe 10. just as im starting to walk away)

garage sale dude: (smiling and excited) thats all the LPs i have left i just sold 200 of them. guy just came up and bought them all. great huh?

me: why would you tell me something like that?

garage sale dude: huh?

me: do you think id jump up and down for joy cause you just sold all the records. the ONLY thing that im here to look for. you see me looking at records so you thought "hey maybe ill tell him i just sold everything and he'll be happy for me." is this how you always handle your garage sales? throwing a wrench into the system right from the start?

garage sale dude: no... i...

me: (walking away)

okay so maybe it was wack what i did. maybe im just in a bad fucking mood cause im just starting a cold. really though, im fucking sick and tired of sellers saying that kind of shit. "oh i just sold..." what the fuck do i care if you just sold everything? i didnt get it... so where is the happiness and joy im supposed to be feeling? it aint fucking there. why do people say these things? to make themselves feel better? so others feel happiness? it obviously wasnt to inform that im wasting my time by looking at the leftovers. it wasnt to tell me that "hey i just sold a bunch of stuff but im bringing down more right now."

ugh.... sorry. im irritated this morning and i know ill be sick for me and my wifes birthdays next week. bad mood...

happy diggin to the rest of yall!

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    dude,

it isn't his fault that you woke up late!

it is much worse when you get the opposite at garage sales. my guy had a sale and sold a chair to some yuppie type couple. immediately after they paid my guy then $10 or $15 the yuppy dude said "hey man, thanks alot! did you know that the chair you sold me was an original Eames chair and worth over $500!!"

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    bought one of the worst records ive ever heard today

Bobby Nicholas-Presents...

private black lounge singer album with some soul covers. litle did i realize that the band is only drums and a synth, ughhhh. the cover of "love wont let me wait" is kinda cool in an utterly weird and bad way

dude,

it isn't his fault that you woke up late!

dude...

i didnt wake up late. it started at 10am i was there at 945am. he hadnt even opened up the garage door yet. the wife ended up there after me and found out that some guy had come by knocking on the garage door this morning at 7am while the guy was fixing the garage for the sale and bought them all. i knew that the guy had records and was going to be selling them this morning. it wasnt advertised but i overheard him at the store last night telling the cashier why he needed change. NO EARLY BIRDS was what the ad read and it didnt mention records. one guy came early, saw the light on, knocked on the garage. i guess dude didnt care about what he advertised.

and, i dont wake up late... ever. maybe you do but i dont...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    jinx, I feel your pain. But I think he's just making conversation. I was trying to think of other ways to converse with someone looking through your leftovers and the only thing I could come up with was "hey man, unfortunately some dude just bought up a whole bunch".

If it makes you feel better, pretty much the same thing happened to me today. Then I went to another garage sale and it wasn't open for another hour and the guy was such an asshole. After explaining to him that I don't have a car and am walking about (in cold Canadian weather), he still woudln't even let me know if there were records for me to come back for. I'm cool with not letting me in early, but at least let me know if there are records or not!

That's OK because I got some hot stuff in the mail:

And I found this 45 last week. Can't get any information on it at all. Anyone else seen it? Sounds like early 70's stoner psych/rock (kinda like mellow jimmi hendrix bear breasted coke snorting forest gump soundtrack).

it's a dog eat dog world in the garage scene. i've never came up at a garage sale that had records listed, out on display, etc... always had to weasel them out of the people. sometimes just talking loudly will catch someone in earshot w/records. then youdrive to the storage space. buy him a orange soda. come up.

sometimes just talking loudly will catch someone in earshot w/records. then youdrive to the storage space. buy him a orange soda. come up.
    There is a local dealer in my city that is known for talking up people in super-markets just to buy their records.

He also lives in a storage locker.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

You get no Ream dog.

I feel your pain Jinx, dude beat me to about 20 LPs this morning at a garage sale that was advertised for 7am, I showed up at 6:45! I stared him down. Missed a few more at a couple other spots but I still scored a few things. Meager at best. Tepid for dayz.

You get no Ream dog.

not this morning
    just burnt Iron Butterfly

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    Earlier this month I'm at a garage sale and ask if they have any records. The guy says, "We had 300 records, but some guy came and bought them all!". Later that day, a local dealer pops into the shop and says, "Hey, were you out at that garage sale on N. 32nd earlier today?".

Moan..."Why?" I say.

"Oh, I was just there and the guy said he sold 800 records this morning! Did you get them???".

"Oh, I was just there and the guy said he sold 800 records this morning! Did you get them???".

my favorite graemlin evar, inspired by yours truly and masterfully crafted by mr. ts*ga!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I got burned on my gentlemanly ways...

After a tough exam I got to the record store to ppick up my reserves..

I see the jazz section packed with shit (3 new crates) and this fine asian girl with a pile checking some stuff on the portable

I go to the crates and she asks me 'do you mind if I check this one...of course not..I politely reply and move to the section she already checked first thing she pulls

I had been looking for that for awhile I see the price tag 6$.

The game is the game..but sometimes...

Anyhow scored some stuff nonetheless

Some leroy vinegar sessions and a lot more lp's on hold

so you didn't chat her up and get her number? you gets no record booty, dawg

a lot more lp's on hold

this is not, how you say? good record shop etiquette

And I found this 45 last week. Can't get any information on it at all. Anyone else seen it? Sounds like early 70's stoner psych/rock (kinda like mellow jimmi hendrix bear breasted coke snorting forest gump soundtrack).

check your PM. theres some info for you.

i actually do really well at garage sales. thats just luck though. its not like i didnt find anything today. i just purchased over 7000 doowop/r&b 45s. some killer pieces in there. northern, soul, funk, etc. though i would say 80% of it is 50s/60s with nothing later than mid to late 70s. very excited to start the cleaning and selling process.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

a lot more lp's on hold

Oh no...!? The owner knows me and has never fussed about about the ole' switcharoo. I usually put shit on hold in order to trade some stuff for discount on more expoensive holds. I paid like 50$ for my stuff, so I had to let that stuff stay

Could you expand on why its not proper...

He also lives in a storage locker.

to get a feel for the storage spaces. plus everyday he asks his neighbors if they have any records.

after a while of doing garage sales i gave up. too much work, not enough goods. when i came up it was hard, but the amount of sales i had to make u-turns for. all the addresses that were left up from the last weekend. the amount of gas going into the whip. played out all my good tapes. shit just didn't add up anymore.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Picked these up today in S. Philly all really clean, the two gospel joints have some TOTALLY tracks on them!!!

a lot more lp's on hold

Oh no...!? The owner knows me and has never fussed about about the ole' switcharoo. I usually put shit on hold in order to trade some stuff for discount on more expoensive holds. I paid like 50$ for my stuff, so I had to let that stuff stay

Could you expand on why its not proper...

heh heh... just "taking the piss" a bit

But... i will say that the old addage - holders never buy and buyers never hold - rings pretty true to these ears. I always take holds - for 7 days, no more - but a lot of those customers never return. I am very wary of those who would like to reserve everything they want for some time in the distant future, as there are other people who come, cash-in-hand, ready to buy the records. It's not very fair to them if I've got a giant hold stack behind the counter waiting for someone to come back a month from now.

As for trash trade-ups, that's generally a no-go for me. First off you've got cats who want to bring in all their crud to get one nice piece to flip on ebay, so they can pocket the cash... no sirreee. I mean, everything is within reason - bring me something nice to trade out for something equally nice. Trading up is cool, and I don't mind trading several lesser pieces for a bigger one but they've gotta be "movers", not stuff to clog up the bins.

To keep this all finds related:

I found a Music Of El Topo today. And an awesome Derrick Harriot LP.

• Options
    Which HArriott? Do tell.

Acid Rock? Float On? Sings Jamaican Reggae? Early Rocksteady ska one (Keep on dancing or Best of on Crystal)?

K.

• Came up on nice, cheap copies of:

The Poppy Family - Which Way You Goin' Billy
    Voices of East Harlem - Right On Be Free

The Voices Of East Harlem jacket was so clean I thought it must be a re-ish, but it turned out to be a copy from the New York Publi Library. I wonder if they didn't let the jacket out with the record? The label on the record itself has the letters NYPL actually cut-out out of it

Which HArriott? Do tell.

Acid Rock? Float On? Sings Jamaican Reggae? Early Rocksteady ska one (Keep on dancing or Best of on Crystal)?

K.

Greatest Reggae Hits.

Also found a Troubadours record with a heavy cover of "Cardova" on Wirl. Forgot that one!