MPC 1000 OS Upgrade (Timeshift + FX)

unlasciviousunlascivious 220 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
why didn't anybody mention there was an upgrade available!?!??!?for those in the know...any tips?any resources?is it stable?is it worth it?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's been stable for me so far although i haven't had much time to work with it lately. you can always reload the old os if it's not working well for you.

• it looks like it now has all the options the 2000 has, but faster processing times, and a whole bunch of new bells and whistles. damn...

what's the best improvement?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im not really sure. i bought it after the upgrade came out and really haven't had much time to play with it yet.

• The new OS is really great, I've had no problems with stability, everything runs fine. If my akai memory expansion would have worked I would be using mine a whole lot more. Ah well, I've been meaning to pick up some laptop memory which is only $20-30, as opposed to akai's which is $150 (I really need to find my reciept and send my useless piece back to japan or some shit).

Personally my favorite addition is the slice function, cause chopping samples with the old os was nearly impossible.

Also, you can trim using the q-sliders.

Still, I don't mess with mine nearly enough.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    2.0 is sick as fuck.

Note repeat w/o having to run a sequence
    Softbuttons switching the quantization of the note repeat
    Also all the 2k features I was missing were added...

I wouldnt want any other joint than my 3000 but I use the 1k at my homies studio frquently. Before it was running on 2.0 I Akai is scoring some points for sure. Was about time after all these years of enduser betatesting

Btw, the 1k is now sold with BLACK FINISH only ..good look..

To sum it up: If you got a 1k ... OS 2.0 is

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    So with the upgrades, what are the advantages of having an 2000/xl anymore?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Hahaha, no shit! I've been thinking about selling my XL and getting the 2500. Has anybody used it?
    Maybe I'll fuck with the 1000. When I messed with it I was kinda but having USB and all the other shit, plus the size/portability might be, as they say, a good look.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Hahaha, no shit! I've been thinking about selling my XL and getting the 2500. Has anybody used it?
    Maybe I'll fuck with the 1000. When I messed with it I was kinda but having USB and all the other shit, plus the size/portability might be, as they say, a good look.
    i haven't used a 2500 personally but i can't seem to justify the price difference between it and the 1000 for the extra shit the 2500 has.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Damn, this seems to be
    I've had the occasional problem, like sometimes a sound will drop out, and easier sample chopping would be very velcome, thankyouverymuch. How do you upgrade?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

THis makes the 1000 actually useful finally. Before these features it was total trash in my opinion. I dont even think the 2500 has note shifting yet. Which is hella gay.

Id say if you wanna upgrade, jump on a 4000. Otherwise, Id stick with a 2000xl.

But at least the 1000 is worth using now!

Basicly its all personal opinion though. You could probably get the job done on any of them. I dont like the lack of buttons on the 1000 though.

• SO apart from being bigger and having a better number, why is the 2000xl better than the 1000 now?

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    2.0 is sick as fuck.

Note repeat w/o having to run a sequence
    Softbuttons switching the quantization of the note repeat
    Also all the 2k features I was missing were added...

I wouldnt want any other joint than my 3000 but I use the 1k at my homies studio frquently. Before it was running on 2.0 I Akai is scoring some points for sure. Was about time after all these years of enduser betatesting

Btw, the 1k is now sold with BLACK FINISH only ..good look..

To sum it up: If you got a 1k ... OS 2.0 is

I have my MPC 3000 LE up for sale on EBAY. Honestly ive had it with ZIP DRIVES,floppies, long loading, converting files to .snd. , mpc editor, the whole nine. to the point where ive been using the same drum programs cause I dont want the headache of creating new shit. The MPC 2500 seems on point, cd drive, usb, 8 individual outs, etc. im gonna cop this once someone cops my 3000le on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7406206139&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

To me the 3k is ans always will be the dopest MPC regardless...

Someone asked about the sound-dropout. Yea the glitch has been fixed in 2.0. (I think it was already solved in a prior update already...)

There are a few things that really suck on the 1k though:
    The pads are pure crap. My Homie's pads are already fucked after hacing it 1 1/2 years... Plus they are rectangular and not square like all other Mpcs. Also the pads response sucks ass imo.

One thing you might get used to is the fact that all the main menu functions lay behind the pads, so you need to enable the "mode button" and then press one of the 16 pads to enter editing, mixer, sampling, whatever. Now I'm more a dedicated button guy, like the 3k has a seperate button for almost anything and it lets me work pretty fast...still I guess this is a personal thing. If you track alot of Beats over a mixer or 8-track you might wanna get into the 2500 though since the 1k only has 4 individual outputs.

An other drawback is the fact that the display is not tiltable and you need to bend over or tilt the entire machine to get an angle...

Regardless of all this, it really is a dope MPC. The fact that it is portable makes it alot slicker to me. But since I'm a little oldschool when it comes to gear I guess I'm biased, so don't let this twist your head, THIS IS A GOOD MACHINE. The 2500 I havnt played with yet, but it seems like a 1k version of the 4k with all the crazy automation, timestrech and chopshop options. I'd wait for the rumoured "MPC500" (smaller than the 1000, basicly just a toy) to drop though since the 2500 is still pretty high in price..

The 2k xl is a lot bitchier and does like to crash pretty often, Also its memory is only 32mb whereas the 1k has like 128 or something crazy. Now I hear you go "Fuck I hardly ever use the full time on the 2k". Yea tahts right, but the dope thing is if you play live you can basicly load your entire live set and just change the songs/sequences as you go along. There are 2kxls fitted with cardreaders and you can add one to your 2kxl if you dont have one. As TheGooch just said, fuck zip yo.

Btw, you guys see this coming? :

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    shit i don't like about the mpc2kxl i got is the slow ass time it takes to timestretch/resample. pretty worthless. does the 1k take care of this? or is it still slow as sam?

i might look into getting one, but i was having a hard time working with it when trying it out. the pads are too fucking small for my fingers. and my digits aren't stubby or nothing.

bottom line, imma go with kontakt once i upgrade.

yea the timestrech is ass on the 2kxl. Its CPU wasnt designed to use this function properly. You might end up waiting half a day for a strech if you enter an extreme setting by accident. Kontakt however can not compare to a mpc since its not a sequencer and a full blown softsampler, whereas most mpcs were designed as percussion samplers and sequencers.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    Kontakt however can not compare to a mpc since its not a sequencer and a full blown softsampler, whereas most mpcs were designed as percussion samplers and sequencers.

touch??, which is why i'm having a hard fucking time deciding whether or not to go that route. there's something awesome about the simplicity of an mpc, but there's certain things that just get to me...like i spend ten minutes chopping a drum break properly (no zone function here, that shit never works), whereas a comp will take about a min, max. time stretch and resampling capability finally, etc. i just dont have a good computer...and no chance i'll get any money soon because the last time i posted in a beat thread everyone thought my beats were wack and "weren't feelin it" so i dont think i can sell my beats because im wack.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    cot damn! what the hell are you guys trying to timestretch that its taking that long?

Just lower the pitch or accept the fact that it probably aint gonna work. Severe Timestretching is hella gay anyways.

I dont think the 2000xl is some godly gold standard for beatmaking or anything, but i like it better than the 1000.

My partner has the 3000 and we use it sometimes. But i cant get with editing the samples purely by numbers, and the lack of an undo button sucks bad.

That said, the sound is much warmer, the outputs are better, drums come out a little hotter and the swing is a bit more natural.

Its really all about the 4000 if you dudes really wanna step your game up. dont even bother with that 2500. Thats a way overpriced 2000xl minus a couple features if you ask me.

I fucking hate zip disks though too, so i feel yall's pain.

• tommydtommyd 8 Posts
    IMHO, the best improvement is that with 2.0, you can install, according to Akai, an 80GB HD. I installed a 100GB and it works also. To me, this is incredible.

Plus, 2.0 adds LFO's, pitchshift, zoning, delay effect, reverse, shift timing, and a bunch of good stuff. It's really like a whole new machine.

first post failed attempt at using graemlin--------->

• what the fuck?
    is the 1000 now a synth too?

But i cant get with editing the samples purely by numbers, and the lack of an undo button sucks bad.

NOOB

Naw, seriously. The number editing may seem like a pain but to be honest, I don't need to "see" my music. Its all about the ear.

About the undo: Yea man. When I first got my 3k I was pretty worried about having no undo. But I don't even miss it now!. I erase notes in realtime when overdubbing and make sure I keep my Tracks free from messy overdubs and have everything on a dedicated Track.

Camdude: Heads up. Just keep doing what you tryna do. From what you said I guess youre best of with puter stuff or just using what you got now. It sounds like you were a candidate for the 4k or 2k5 though in case you get the money. You can chop on the pc and then transfer waves/snds via usb on both these machines...

When I first changed from logic to 2kxl it felt like entering an other world. Swapping gear can give you an entire new perspective, but still its all about your ears and whats between them

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    100GB

• head034head034 24 Posts
    I just got an MPC2500 this past week..The feel of the machine is a little different than the 2000xl or 3000(which I also own)..Still trying to find my way around the 2500..From what I am gathering thus far, the getting used to factor might not take that long if you are coming from a 2000 or XL..it seems like 75% of the 2500 is some what like the 2000/XL. Actually I am starting to really like the dam thing, and thought I wouldnt!

The after messin with the 2500, the zip thing can starts to feel like a pain in the ass! Plus the USB is pretty on point to have..Just seems like a quiker way to work. Looks like most hardware these days is really trying to get on do things in "real-time" because consumers what things now. I aint mad!

Just my 2cents!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I'd wait for the rumoured "MPC500" (smaller than the 1000,)

Where did you hear about this ? I would think about one to maybe run with my sp...

• Btw, you guys see this coming? :

Is that coming out anytime soon? I guess that explains why the MPD 16 is only $99 now...

Somewhat off topic, anyone have any experience with the mpd? Folks at guitarcenter are recomending the m-audio triggerfinger thing, but i have no experience with either...

• How many outs does the 1000 have? I'm thinking 4 but someone told me 6.

• head034head034 24 Posts
    I think 6 if u use the stereo outs..

How many outs does the 1000 have? I'm thinking 4 but someone told me 6.

• when you are using the slice function, all your samples converts to mono or something.. WHY?