Latest Federline FIYAH (Thomas Dolby-related)

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
If trainwrecks could walk, give our man FeddyFed some Vans that look like sneakers:
Thomas Dolby Won't Turn Blind Eye To Kevin Federline Sample 04.05.2006 8:30 PM EDT New-wave pioneer says Mr. Spears illegally used 'She Blinded Me With Science.'Kevin Federline and Thomas Dolby Photo: MTV News/Nick Brown PhotographyKevin Federline's new anti-media track, "America's Most Hated," is indeed harvesting hatred, but not from who you might expect.New-wave trailblazer Thomas Dolby is considering taking legal action against K-Fed for violating copyright law by using his 1983 smash, "She Blinded Me With Science," in the song."You can't just take a very well-known piece of music and add your own vitriolic rap over the top of it and get away with it," Dolby told MTV News on Wednesday (April 5). "If anybody's going to sing nasty lyrics over my music, it's going to be me.""America's Most Hated," which Federline recently debuted on his MySpace page, actually samples Mobb Deep's "Got It Twisted," which sampled "She Blinded Me With Science.""Mobb Deep came to me and asked for a license," said Dolby, who was paid a fee and receives royalties for Mobb Deep's song. "We issue licenses all the time, for movies and TV shows and so on. I was aware of the Mobb Deep one, but I certainly never issued a license to Kevin Federline."Dolby caught wind of the expletive-filled song, which begins with the line "This is for the haters," through a fan's posting on his own Web site's forum and made a plea to Federline on his blog."I considered turning a blind eye to it other than, as I mentioned on my site, asking him politely to take it down," Dolby said. "But I found out today that it aired on VH1 last week. So it's more than just an MP3 download. It's airing on TV, and there's no question it's taken from the Mobb Deep record. It's like what Vanilla Ice did with 'Ice Ice Baby' [illegally sampling Queen and David Bowie's 'Under Pressure'], although I think Vanilla Ice is a superstar compared to this guy."[/b] Federline's management had no comment on the song but said it was removed from his MySpace page Wednesday.Dolby, meanwhile, has handed the issue over to his lawyers."When you sample, there's two copyrights: the recording and the underlying composition," he said. "If somebody samples a cover of 'Smoke on the Water,' you can't use that and not owe anything to Deep Purple. The music industry has a legal precedent for all of this. In the early days, no one really understood it, but now it's a very streamlined process. Mobb Deep and most of the people do it the right way, but for some reason, Mr. Federline thought he was above the law."Had Federline come to him for permission, however, Dolby said he likely would not have licensed the song."I wouldn't have turned it down because of who he is," he explained. "I knew nothing about him, quite frankly, and just because he gets a bad rap in the press doesn't make him a bad guy. But just on the merits of the song, I would have said no. ... The lyrics are pretty evil, and I just don't think it was appropriate."In his blog, Dolby said Mobb Deep's copyright was also violated, but the label that released the song (Jive Records) is also home to Federline's wife and they "don't want to rock the Britney boat so they are turning a blind eye." A Jive spokesperson, however, said lawyers were looking into the issue.Dolby, who left music in the early '90s to launch Beatnik Inc., a leading provider of ring-tone technology, said the matter has come at an unfortunate time because he should be spending his time rehearsing. Next week he hits the road for the first time in nearly 15 years."The company I started is doing pretty well and doesn't need me anymore, so it seemed like a good time to come back to music, which was always my intention," he said. "And to get back to my fanbase, which is amazingly still around, and to get my chops back, I decided to go out on a club tour on my own."The man behind the scores for "Howard the Duck" and other films, Dolby is also contributing music to "Mission: Impossible III," directed by his friend and fellow synthesizer player J.J. Abrams. "It's a scene where Tom Cruise is working on his car in his garage," he said.Federline, meanwhile, has been promoting his upcoming debut record, Playing With Fire, by playing it at nightclubs across the country (see "Federline Moving Songs From The Lab To Clubs For Testing").For more on Kevin Federline, check out the feature "The Luckiest Man Alive" and hit the studio with K-Fed as he discusses his music and gives us a sneak peek in MTV News RAW: Kevin Federline. ??? Corey Mosshttp://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1527947/20060405/federline_kevin.jhtml?headlines=true

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    hippy barthday, foolio

you rock!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I think Vanilla Ice is a superstar compared to this guy.[/b]

like a motherfucker!

and by the way: Happy Happy, Mr. SoulMarcosa.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    new wave trailblazer? thomas dolby?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    new wave trailblazer? thomas dolby?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    happy bornday marco!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I love this quote by Dolby in another article:

"Turns out K-Fed has no management, label or lawyer, so it???s going to be hard getting hold of him. So K-Fed, if you???re reading this, I???m asking you nicely to take the track down ASAP. Or maybe you???d prefer me to come after some of your wife???s ill-gotten gains?""

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I think Vanilla Ice is a superstar compared to this guy.[/b]

like a motherfucker!

??? More like he got adopted.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    so dolby is going after kfed for rapping over the mobb deep instrumental on his myspace page? how is there a lawsuit here if nobody is making money? if i rap over ice ice baby and put the file on my myspace can queen come after me? shit doesnt make sense.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    so dolby is going after kfed for rapping over the mobb deep instrumental on his myspace page? how is there a lawsuit here if nobody is making money? if i rap over ice ice baby and put the file on my myspace can queen come after me? shit doesnt make sense.

Not taking sides but you must have missed this.

"I considered turning a blind eye to it other than, as I mentioned on my site, asking him politely to take it down," Dolby said. "But I found out today that it aired on VH1 last week. So it's more than just an MP3 download. It's airing on TV, and there's no question it's taken from the Mobb Deep record. It's like what Vanilla Ice did with 'Ice Ice Baby' [illegally sampling Queen and David Bowie's 'Under Pressure'], although I think Vanilla Ice is a superstar compared to this guy."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I dunno, though...in what capacity did it air on VH1? My guess is that it was on Best Week Ever or some shit like that, not as an actual, "We've got K-Fed's new song!" type of music thing. I'm all for capping on this little fuckface, but I think this is some rather thorny territory seeing as how Dolby really is going after dude for doing a freestyle over a Mobb Deep instrumental. Imagine it's not K-Fed rapping on this track but a rapper you actually like; would you still cheer for Dolby? Just playin' devil's advocate here....

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    ^^^^Exactly

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    if i rap over ice ice baby and put the file on my myspace can queen come after me?

i don't know the answer to your question, but i really think you should do that

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    the putz sampled an already sampled sample from the people who sampled it... he should have to pay based on that retarded action alone... dude can't even be bothered to find the original source? it was so easy the original source FOUND HIM before the shit was even released...

kev needs to

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

"you sampled us sampling that sample, fool......pay up!"

the putz sampled an already sampled sample from the people who sampled it... he should have to pay based on that retarded action alone... dude can't even be bothered to find the original source? it was so easy the original source FOUND HIM before the shit was even released...

kev needs to

are you familiar with mixtapes and/or "freestyles"

are you familiar with who we're talking about here?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

kev needs to

Yeah, uh, that was exactly my point. Forget the fact that it's that douchebag K-Fed. Pretend it's some rapper you like freestyling over the "Got It Twisted" beat. You still ridin' for Dolby, or are you gonna jump on some "Fuck Thomas Dolby, free [insert rapper's name here]!" shit?

the article says he sampled mobb deep... not that he necessarily just rapped on top of their instrumental. i'm not really curious enough to find the track and figure out for myself. regardless, he has no skills at all, is not a part of the mixtape scene... and to think that this is his way of "responding to haters"...

and personally, yes it does bother me when MCs recycle already known beats... i guess for just a mixtape it's alright in that live/freestyle aspect, but when released it's kinda weak. i can't deny that i thought that ghostface using old mf doom beats on his latest lp was pretty weak... i mean doom has PLENTY of unused "special herbs" that he coulda used instead... but that's a whole different topic there.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

kev needs to

Yeah, uh, that was exactly my point. Forget the fact that it's that douchebag K-Fed. Pretend it's some rapper you like freestyling over the "Got It Twisted" beat. You still ridin' for Dolby, or are you gonna jump on some "Fuck Thomas Dolby, free [insert rapper's name here]!" shit?

Naw, there's no reason to generalize the situation.

Thomas Dolby hates it cuz its K-Fed related and so do we. THAT is the point.