Are 45's more likely to burn?

tjamestjames 156 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I've noticed that most of my 45's cue-burn exremely fast; in the case of some "newer" records (mid to late 70's) I can create an audible hiss almost instantly. Is this common with 45's?.... I don't think it's my needles since they don't burn other records. Any insight would be appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• I've noticed that most of my 45's cue-burn exremely fast; in the case of some "newer" records (mid to late 70's) I can create an audible hiss almost instantly. Is this common with 45's?.... I don't think it's my needles since they don't burn other records. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

The 45s that are cue-burning are polystyrene, which was a common material used for the time period you're talking about (and before). Basically you don't want to backcue them or scratch, and you should be fine.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Styrene pressings do get cue burn almost isntantly, as you say. I didn't know this myself for years, but in the US, a fair few 45s were pressed on styeren as opposed to vinyl, and this stuff is kinda somewhere in between vinyl and an acetate as far as I undertsand it. Shit burns badly, so forget about cutting it up.

But generally speaking, it seems to me that 45s are more likely to cue-burn than LPs.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Hey - Thanks for the info.

tjames

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah, you definitely want to listen first before buying styrene 45s. They can look good but play all distorted. It's Lame.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Yeah, you definitely want to listen first before buying styrene 45s. They can look good but play all distorted. It's Lame.

my "hand clapping song" 45 sounds like they recorded a snake track over it...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Hand Clapping Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssong?