Fixing A Record Skip

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I've tried this recently and, to my utter amazement, it actually worked.Please, proceed with caution

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I just took a serious gamble and ended up fixing my S.O.U.L. - Soul 45 and now it plays flawlessly. Thanks, yo.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Plus he has twice run for president and disproved evolution.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    If a record skips or has unacceptable surface noise because it's just plain dirty....don't despair - just wash it. I use a tub of hot tap water

Hm. Whenever I use a tub of hot tap water to clean records I end up with heat-warped records. Maybe I need to make an html diagram first.

• If you can't see it, here's the cached version

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    hmmm that guy recomends playing the record while its still wet. i remember i had a buddy who did that too... clean the record and then play it while still wet...

the theory revolves around the idea that any gunk is still floating and the needle will push it out i supposse...

any thoughts on how thats gonna rock your needle?

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    hmmm that guy recomends playing the record while its still wet. i remember i had a buddy who did that too... clean the record and then play it while still wet...

the theory revolves around the idea that any gunk is still floating and the needle will push it out i supposse...

I do that to help clean my records, the needle actually helps clean them by dragging out alot of the loosened gunk. Kinda like a brillow pad on dishes that have food dried on um. Then afterwards, I brush off my needle with the tiny black brush thingy. Don't use an expensive needle though, I just use a regular shure with a decent amount of weight (though they don't seem to be damaged in any way). If you play records that have surface noise while slightly damp, you can eliminate a ton of the noise. I used to bring a small rag and bottled water to shows for rough records.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I do that to help clean my records, the needle actually helps clean them by dragging out alot of the loosened gunk. Kinda like a brillow pad on dishes that have food dried on um. Then afterwards, I brush off my needle with the tiny black brush thingy. Don't use an expensive needle though, I just use a regular shure with a decent amount of weight (though they don't seem to be damaged in any way). If you play records that have surface noise while slightly damp, you can eliminate a ton of the noise. I used to bring a small rag and bottled water to shows for rough records.

I've done this and been amazed at the trails of gunk that comes out.

Unfortunatly I don't think the needle trick will work with pressing flaws which I run into more.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    This is great. I've heard about the technique before, but never seen a step-by-step runthrough. I'm gonna try this on my Cal Tjader "Solar Heat" and Bernie Worrell "All The Woo In The World". Both skips are smack dab in the drum breaks, and it's about time to get them back in the groove.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Keep an old needle around for these types of situations.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

We actually fixed a record like this a few weeks ago when we were in Europe. We put water on it and let the record play. Somehow it removed the skip.

We then did it to another lp, and it left some noise behind for the first couple of plays. After that the noise left and it was fine

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Wow! I just fixed a skip by simply playing the record wet (SF tap water from my Brita filter) with an old Shure 44-7 needle.

I now have a playable copy of "Too Hard For The Fuckin' Radio." MANNY THNAKs.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    good to know.. i've definatly cleaned a couple lps like this in the past on my buddies recomendation but id always wondered...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    just don't try fixing a skip that is a pressing defect via needle method. makes things much worse.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ive had luck just with my fingernail, same theory, just less carefulness. it has worked approx 3 out of 4 times. i think many scratches that cause skips are compounded by dirt buildup, so thats why cleaning often makes the groove channel 'good enough' to play right again. but for the deeper ones, cleaning plus the "needle/straightpin/fingernail scrape in the correct direction" does work. for the real deep ones/skating rinks, you are hosed.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    So, in trying to get a piece of (what I thought was) dirt or paint off, I seem to have created a skip on this:

Any recommendations as to what kind of magnifying glass or whatever else to cop for such a procedure?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Depending on your eyesight, 5-10x magnification should be fine. You should be able to pick one up at a hobby shop for pretty cheap.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dope, thanks! I need to learn to just leave well enough alone... I was scraping at that thing for like an hour! Then I was like "...ooops."