to dudes who have owned or do own record stores

2»

Comments

• and while i've got you austin heads reading... how is his location there anyway? selection/prices/attitude/etc...

Utterly laughable. Completely overpriced. Had a few good things but the prices were just crazy. It's in a "chi chi" (sp?) part of town so maybe he can get those prices but I doubt it. He did have some cuties workin there, though.

• mooneymooney 48 Posts
    I own a record store with some guys in Raleigh, and I have to tell you that this is not a good time to open a traditional dj record store. If you plan on selling predominantly used records, than you might have a chance, but the future is bleek for new music sales especially in small markets. Serato won't help matters and the markup is so bad that is not even worth getting into it at this point.

Good Luck,

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Fuck it,you only live once.I say give it a shot.Give me a call if you want some advice.

Chris

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    has anyone ever opened a shop while still working a "normal" job? That's always been my plan, find someone i can trust to work it during the day while i'm at work and then take over on nights and weekends... or what? That way you keep some $$$ flowing even if the store takes awhile to get going.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You just wanna invest in a record store? And still work a day job?

If you want to open a record store there is no way you are going to have time for much else let alone a second job.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    besides... you'd be getting constant calls at your other job for price checks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    has anyone ever opened a shop while still working a "normal" job? That's always been my plan, find someone i can trust to work it during the day while i'm at work and then take over on nights and weekends... or what? That way you keep some $$$ flowing even if the store takes awhile to get going.

That was one of the main benefits with having a partner for me. One of my best friends who I trust 1000%. I had one job, but he was helping run the store, was doing his second album, producing a bunch of other people, as well as in a band, DJing 2-3 times a week, a radio show, plus doing a bunch of other shit and having a social life and a gurlfriend all at the same time. I don't know how people do it. I was tired as fuck with the store and one job.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I can't see having a partner being a big issue, unless both partners are salivating record fiends. If you are the record dude, and the partner is into CDs, or just mildly interested in records, I would think a partnership could be a good thing.

• thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts.

i'm leaning towards doing it, but i'll know for sure in the next few weeks.

chris, i'm going to call.